Pulse Surface Controller System
Some people like to turn any surface—desk, steering wheel, kitchen table—into a drum. Thanks to Pulse, there’s now a way for those amateur musicians to turn those beats and thumps into real music. The Surface Controller System ($59-$64) combines a microphone, suction cup, and custom software together to turn any flat surface into a playable MIDI instrument.
Available in two different packages—the less expensive set includes the mic and software, while the other one also includes a 1/4” to 1/8” adapter—the controller sticks to whatever surface you’d like, potentially providing a much larger tappable area than small (and sometimes less expensive) drum pads do. The piezo microphone then picks up the vibrations, turning them into beats and notes in your favorite audio software. Pulse claims that the mic is sensitive enough to pick up differences in velocity, and in addition to percussion allows you to play predefined musical scales, albeit with the equivalent of a single drum pad rather than a grid. Will pro musicians use it? Maybe for the occasional live performance, maybe in a home recording studio, maybe not. But amateurs and hobbyists will likely have some fun playing around with this neat device.
- Report: iPhone 6S may be slightly thicker than iPhone 6
- Apple Pay set to launch in UK on July 14?
- Report: New iPhone’s base storage could stay at 16GB
- Apple exploring person-to-person Apple Pay transactions?
- Report: iPhone 6S to get 12MP camera, 4K video recording?
- Report: New iPhone 6S LTE chip could ‘double’ download speeds
- Cue: New iOS 9 beta coming next week
- iTunes 12.2 release includes support for Apple Music
- Report: iPhone 6S to look ‘nearly identical’ to iPhone 6
- Appeals court: Apple conspired to fix e-book prices
- TempTraq Wearable Bluetooth Thermometer
- JBL Clip+ Bluetooth Speaker
- Monk Magnet Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Just Mobile TimeStand for Apple Watch
- Soundfreaq Sound Kick 2 Wireless Travel Speaker
- iHome SoundFlask iBT32 Bluetooth Speaker
- IK Multimedia iKlip Grip
- Misfit Bolt Wirelessly Connected Smart Bulb
- Nomad Stand for Apple Watch
- MyCharge RazorUltra
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?