A month ago, we wrote about QuickerTek’s QCard 2, a replacement Wi-Fi card that adds 802.11ac support to a handful of recent MacBooks. Now the company is back with mCard ($149), a wireless card designed for even older machines. mCard allows access to faster 802.11ac Wi-Fi networks, as well as adding the Bluetooth 4.0 wireless standard. Depending on Apple’s software support, this might be useful for people who want to take advantage of the Continuity features of OS X Yosemite without buying all new Macs—just be aware that there’s still some ambiguity over whether Continuity will be supported for third-party wireless hardware.
The compatibility list for this card is a bit scattershot. It includes 15” MacBook Pros from 2008 to 2009, Late 2009, 2010, and 2011 27” iMacs, 17” iMacs, and “2007-2008 20” Intel PowerMacs.” We’re assuming that last entry is meant to read “Intel iMacs.” You do have to install the card yourself, but if that means a few more years of useful life for your Mac, it just may be worth it. If you’re buying this in hopes of Continuity support, it may not be a bad idea to hold off until the fall, after testing has been done.
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- Apple and U2 to work together on music innovation
- Video Review: Logitech Bluetooth Multi-Device Keyboard K480
- Apple delaying SMS Continuity until October?
- Report: Apple to bring Apple Pay to China
- Report: Future Apple Watches to include more health features, sensors
- iPhone 6 pre-orders plagued by issues
- Apple upgrades current iCloud users to new storage prices
- Report: Apple to use digital queue system at stores for iPhone 6 launch
- iPhone 6 release delayed in China, pre-orders start 12:01AM PT (Update: Pre-order pickup option)
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Series 2 headphones
- Logitech Bluetooth Multi-Device Keyboard K480
- Cambridge Audio Bluetone 100 Bluetooth Speaker
- Cambridge Audio Go V2 Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Soundfreaq Double Spot SFQ-09 Wireless Speaker
- iHome iBN6 Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker
- Grace Digital Ecostone Bluetooth Speaker
- Awesome Cables 6ft Braided Awesome Cable
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad Air
- Juno Labs Juno Power HUE Pro
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010