A month ago, we wrote about QuickerTek’s QCard 2, a replacement Wi-Fi card that adds 802.11ac support to a handful of recent MacBooks. Now the company is back with mCard ($149), a wireless card designed for even older machines. mCard allows access to faster 802.11ac Wi-Fi networks, as well as adding the Bluetooth 4.0 wireless standard. Depending on Apple’s software support, this might be useful for people who want to take advantage of the Continuity features of OS X Yosemite without buying all new Macs—just be aware that there’s still some ambiguity over whether Continuity will be supported for third-party wireless hardware.
The compatibility list for this card is a bit scattershot. It includes 15” MacBook Pros from 2008 to 2009, Late 2009, 2010, and 2011 27” iMacs, 17” iMacs, and “2007-2008 20” Intel PowerMacs.” We’re assuming that last entry is meant to read “Intel iMacs.” You do have to install the card yourself, but if that means a few more years of useful life for your Mac, it just may be worth it. If you’re buying this in hopes of Continuity support, it may not be a bad idea to hold off until the fall, after testing has been done.
- Revamped Apple music service not coming until WWDC; new Apple TV later this year?
- Larger iPad production delayed until later this year, USB 3.0 ports to be added?
- Apple, others likely to reach $415M settlement in poaching lawsuit [Update: settlement approved]
- Apple and HBO in talks for ‘HBO Now’ service launch
- Report: Next-gen ‘iPhone 6s’ to feature 2GB RAM, Apple SIM
- Apple looking to settle with electric car battery company
- Apple pushing out fix next week for ‘FREAK’ security flaw
- Report: Apple Watch retail strategy aims to push iPhone sales
- Apple back on top in phone sales for first time since 2011
- Phishing scam targets iCloud credentials of iOS device theft victims
- Gumdrop Cases Drop Tech Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Uniq Aircraft+ for iPhone 6
- Speck MightyShell + Faceplate for iPhone 6 Plus
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?