Seagate 4TB GoFlex Desk External Hard Drive
4TB of storage space in a 3.5” consumer hard disk? It hadn’t been done before today. Now Seagate has pushed the envelope just a bit further with the introduction of its 4TB GoFlex Desk External Hard Drive ($250). The capacity isn’t the only big deal here; this drive is also capable of growing additional Thunderbolt connectivity. Is Apple and Intel’s new standard finally ready for average consumers?
Seagate uses adapter bases to allow this new drive to take advantage of different connectors, so while this 4TB model ships with a USB 3.0 adapter—backwards compatible with the USB 2.0 ports that Macs use, of course—you can choose to upgrade to FireWire 800 or eSATA right now, and Thunderbolt in the future. We don’t expect that adapter will be cheap, but it’ll certainly be fast. If you’re looking to spend a little less on the drive, 1TB models start at $110 and offer the same upgrade options.
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, last chance for August giveaway
- Apple to add 3X Retina Display support to iPhone 6?
- iPhone 6 logic board leak shows NFC, A8 chips
- Massive report reveals Apple’s PR strategies
- iWatch not shipping until 2015?
- Report: Dutch chipmaker NXP to provide iPhone 6 NFC chips
- Video Review: Parrot’s Jumping Sumo and Rolling Spider
- Apps of the Week: Hyperlapse, BioShock, Asphalt 8 1.5 + more
- Apple sends out invites to September 9 event
- Report: iPhone 6 to feature NFC mobile payments
- Grace Digital Ecostone Bluetooth Speaker
- Awesome Cables 6ft Braided Awesome Cable
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad Air
- Juno Labs Juno Power HUE Pro
- Parrot Minidrone Jumping Sumo
- Parrot Minidrone Rolling Spider
- Stem Innovation Izon View
- Zivix PUC Wireless MIDI Link
- IK Multimedia iRig Voice
- Ten One Design Magnus Air
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today