Shirt Pocket SuperDuper!
In an ideal world, upgrading to Apple’s upcoming OS X Lion (this coming week) would be as simple as following the company’s three-step guide: “Make sure your Mac can run Lion,” “Make sure you have the latest version of Snow Leopard,” and “Download OS X Lion from the Mac App Store.” But having gone through our fair share of Mac OS upgrades—and the occasional hard drive failure—we know that Apple’s missing a step: create an emergency backup of your Mac’s hard drive. Some people rely entirely upon Apple’s Time Machine. Others, including two of our editors, swear by Shirt Pocket’s SuperDuper! ($28). It clones your hard disk, letting you resurrect a machine if OS X apps start acting wonky or the disk fails. And based on some of the issues we’ve experienced with major new OS X releases, it’s better to be safe than sorry by doing a full backup before Lion arrives.
Popular and tested for literally generations of Mac OS X, SuperDuper! creates a fully bootable backup disk—one that you can run directly from your computer in the event that something starts going crazy after an OS X update, or if the hard drive fails. It can be set up to automatically repair file permissions prior to a backup, a nice step that reduces your need to run a standalone Mac-fixing app such as Onyx, and can also do change-only iterative backups that reduce its need to completely re-transfer your entire disk drive every time it’s run. Version 2.6.3 has been updated for compatibility with Lion, so in the event that everything goes smoothly with the upgrade, you’ll have this as an alternate safe backup solution for years to come.
- Apple acquires speech tech startup VocalIQ
- iPhone 6s more water-resistant than previous models
- Apple CEO Tim Cook talks privacy to NPR
- Amazon to ban sale of Apple TV
- Former Boeing CFO James Bell elected to Apple’s Board of Directors
- Apple releases iOS 9.1 beta 3 to developers
- Apple releases iOS 9.0.2
- Cook urges businesses, governments to address social problems
- A note on our iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus case reviews
- Apple pulls app that documented US drone strikes
- Spigen Perfect Armor for iPhone 6s, Slim/Tough Armor for iPhone 6s Plus
- Spigen Neo Hybrid / Carbon / EX + Ultra Hybrid for iPhone 6s/6s Plus
- Speck CandyShell Clear and CandyShell Inked Jonathan Adler for iPhone 6/6s
- BenQ treVolo Bluetooth Portable Electrostatic Speaker
- iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus
- TrackR bravo
- Apple iPad mini 4 Silicone Case + Smart Cover
- Apple iPad mini 4
- Fluance Fi50 Bluetooth speaker
- Ultimate Ears UE Boom 2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?