Sonnet Echo ExpressCard/34 Thunderbolt Adapter
Apple knows that only professional users really needed ExpressCard/34 slots for their laptops—that’s why the company only continued to include the feature in 17” MacBook Pros. But with the invention of Thunderbolt, pro-grade I/O capabilities are now found in every Mac from the Mac mini on up, and thanks to Sonnet, there’s now a way for every Thunderbolt-equipped Mac to access ExpressCard expandability. It’s called the Echo ExpressCard/34 Thunderbolt Adapter ($150), a plug-and-play card slot that allows you to connect a whole host of adapters to your machine. If you’re thinking about picking one up, make sure you have an extra $49 handy; the Thunderbolt Cable isn’t included.
So what kinds of adapters can you hook up? Right now, there’s eSATA, FireWire, USB 3.0, Gigabit Ethernet, memory card readers, and PCIe Bus Extender. That list is just to start; Sonnet expects it to grow as drivers are updated to support Thunderbolt. This could be especially handy for people using the MacBook Air, which is pretty much bereft of I/O options. While it’s not for everyone, and certainly not cheap, it’s a neat solution if you have ExpressCards or want to add connectivity to recent Macs.
- Report: iOS 9 will bring new security features, improve legacy device support
- Report: Apple’s push for local content may delay Apple’s TV service
- Adobe dropping Photoshop Touch in favor of more focused apps
- Report: Dual app viewing, multiple logins coming to iPad
- Transit coming to Apple Maps in iOS 9?
- Apple and IBM expand MobileFirst apps to Apple Watch
- Report: Pebble facing financial struggles?
- iOS 9 to include new Home app for HomeKit?
- Report: Apple to bring Apple Watch font to iOS 9
- Leak reveals Flow by Outlook, a Microsoft email messaging app for iPhone
- Apple iPhone Lightning Dock
- Witti Notti and Dotti
- PhoneSuit Elite 6 and Elite 6 Pro Battery Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Wren V5US Speaker
- Skech Base for iPad Air 2
- Anova Culinary Precision Cooker
- Phiaton MS 100 BA Earphones
- Olloclip Ollocase for iPhone 6
- AKG Y50 On-Ear Headphones
- Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 SonicPro Over-Ear Headphones
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?