Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100
Sony’s made huge inroads with its Cyber-shot point-and-shoot digital cameras and its Alpha DSLRs—now it’s going after the market directly between them. The just-announced Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 ($650) packs a monster-sized 1” EXMOR sensor and faster f/1.8 lens into a body that’s only modestly larger than Canon’s widely-respected PowerShot S100—in fact, virtually every feature of the RX100 improves on that inspirational model. If you’re looking for a pocket-sized camera with outstanding low-light performance, and willing to pay a premium price to get it, this looks to be the best near-term option.
DSC-RX100’s single biggest feature is the Sony-designed, 20.2-Megapixel sensor, which is three to four times the physical size of the sensors in most pocket cameras—a major difference that allows this camera to deliver cleaner, more natural-looking images even in dim indoor lighting. A fast processor enables the RX100 to shoot at up to 10 frames per second, simultaneously record 1080p videos alongside 17-Megapixel still images, and offer creative shooting modes. Then there’s the big Carl Zeiss lens, which emphasizes speed and quality over zoom range, opting for an f/1.8 to f/4.9 3.6X zoom rather than the slower f/2 to f/5.9 5X zoom found in Canon’s S100. Even the 3” rear screen is superior, packing over 1.2 million pixels into the same space as the S100’s 461,000. There’s only one issue, and that’s the more than $200 price difference between these models, a fact that will guarantee the S100 a place in more pockets, while the DSC-RX100 earns a “king of the hill” designation. It will be available starting this July.
- Apps of the Week: SimCity BuildIt, Run Sackboy! Run!, Star Wars: Galactic Defense + more
- Trent Reznor working on Apple music project
- Magazine publisher Fleishman explains iOS Newsstand’s failure
- Jony Ive: Apple Watch was a ‘design challenge’
- Apple reverses course on iOS calculator widgets
- Tim Cook: ‘I’m proud to be gay’
- AT&T and Verizon tracking customer web activity
- iOS updates causing Mophie Juice Pack Air compatibility problems?
- FTC launches complaint against AT&T over unlimited data throttling policies
- Apple VP Joswiak testy at Code/Mobile event
- Rokform Crystal v3 for iPhone 6
- Uniq Bodycon, LifePro, and Helio for iPhone 6 + Bodycon for iPhone 6 Plus
- Trident Case Aegis, Cyclops, Kraken A.M.S. + Perseus for iPhone 6
- Incipio Stowaway Advance for iPhone 6 Plus
- Apple iPad Air 2 Smart Case
- Apple iPad mini 3
- Alpine Headphones
- Apple iPad Air 2
- Speck MightyShell for iPhone 6
- Misfit Flash Fitness + Sleep Monitor
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0