Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100
Sony’s made huge inroads with its Cyber-shot point-and-shoot digital cameras and its Alpha DSLRs—now it’s going after the market directly between them. The just-announced Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 ($650) packs a monster-sized 1” EXMOR sensor and faster f/1.8 lens into a body that’s only modestly larger than Canon’s widely-respected PowerShot S100—in fact, virtually every feature of the RX100 improves on that inspirational model. If you’re looking for a pocket-sized camera with outstanding low-light performance, and willing to pay a premium price to get it, this looks to be the best near-term option.
DSC-RX100’s single biggest feature is the Sony-designed, 20.2-Megapixel sensor, which is three to four times the physical size of the sensors in most pocket cameras—a major difference that allows this camera to deliver cleaner, more natural-looking images even in dim indoor lighting. A fast processor enables the RX100 to shoot at up to 10 frames per second, simultaneously record 1080p videos alongside 17-Megapixel still images, and offer creative shooting modes. Then there’s the big Carl Zeiss lens, which emphasizes speed and quality over zoom range, opting for an f/1.8 to f/4.9 3.6X zoom rather than the slower f/2 to f/5.9 5X zoom found in Canon’s S100. Even the 3” rear screen is superior, packing over 1.2 million pixels into the same space as the S100’s 461,000. There’s only one issue, and that’s the more than $200 price difference between these models, a fact that will guarantee the S100 a place in more pockets, while the DSC-RX100 earns a “king of the hill” designation. It will be available starting this July.
- Apple takes 15 percent of subscription fees for Apple TV signups
- Apple takes 15 percent of subscription fee for Apple TV signups
- Security change in iOS 8.3 limits some file manager and transfer apps
- Apple Watch Sport, 42mm case and black Sport band top pre-sale estimates
- Report: Apple Watch Sport comes with three band pieces, not two separate bands
- iLounge Weekly coming out Monday, subscribe now
- Apple vying for artist exclusives for streaming music service; family plan?
- Report: Apple has spent $38 million on Apple Watch TV ads
- Apple Watch bands also experiencing delayed shipping times
- Apple Watch models sell out quickly, shipping estimates now 4-6 weeks or later
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?