Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100
Sony’s made huge inroads with its Cyber-shot point-and-shoot digital cameras and its Alpha DSLRs—now it’s going after the market directly between them. The just-announced Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 ($650) packs a monster-sized 1” EXMOR sensor and faster f/1.8 lens into a body that’s only modestly larger than Canon’s widely-respected PowerShot S100—in fact, virtually every feature of the RX100 improves on that inspirational model. If you’re looking for a pocket-sized camera with outstanding low-light performance, and willing to pay a premium price to get it, this looks to be the best near-term option.
DSC-RX100’s single biggest feature is the Sony-designed, 20.2-Megapixel sensor, which is three to four times the physical size of the sensors in most pocket cameras—a major difference that allows this camera to deliver cleaner, more natural-looking images even in dim indoor lighting. A fast processor enables the RX100 to shoot at up to 10 frames per second, simultaneously record 1080p videos alongside 17-Megapixel still images, and offer creative shooting modes. Then there’s the big Carl Zeiss lens, which emphasizes speed and quality over zoom range, opting for an f/1.8 to f/4.9 3.6X zoom rather than the slower f/2 to f/5.9 5X zoom found in Canon’s S100. Even the 3” rear screen is superior, packing over 1.2 million pixels into the same space as the S100’s 461,000. There’s only one issue, and that’s the more than $200 price difference between these models, a fact that will guarantee the S100 a place in more pockets, while the DSC-RX100 earns a “king of the hill” designation. It will be available starting this July.
- Apple releases first Apple Watch Software Update
- Apple extends agreement with TomTom for Maps
- Apple releases iPhone Lightning Dock with iPhone 6/iPhone 6 Plus compatibility
- Apple, others urge Obama not to limit encryption
- WSJ: Apple dropped TV set plans ‘more than a year ago’
- Appeals court cuts award in Apple’s $930M win over Samsung
- Apple developing ‘Find my Watch’ for Apple Watch; new Apple TV larger in size?
- Apple acquires GPS firm Coherent Navigation
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, sign up now
- Apple to drop iPhone 3G, 3GS support as of June 9th
- PhoneSuit Elite 6 and Elite 6 Pro Battery Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Wren V5US Speaker
- Skech Base for iPad Air 2
- Anova Culinary Precision Cooker
- Phiaton MS 100 BA Earphones
- Olloclip Ollocase for iPhone 6
- AKG Y50 On-Ear Headphones
- Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 SonicPro Over-Ear Headphones
- Mobee Technology Magic Case 6 for iPhone 6
- Uniq Transforma for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?