Sony Cyber-shot TX200V
After ranking a distant third or fourth to camera-making rivals Nikon and Canon, Sony has recently surged in popularity thanks to increasingly powerful point-and-shoot and DSLR models—sensor and software improvements have done wonders for the company’s reputation. Now Sony has debuted the Cyber-shot TX200V ($500), a premium waterproof camera that features an iPhone-like all-glass face, reducing its thickness and eliminating the need for lens protection. The pitch: 16-foot submersibility, full dust resistance, 18.2-Megapixel shots at 10 frames per second, 1080/60p video, and a 5X optical zoom lens. If you’ve been wondering how pocket cameras could survive in the iPhone 4S era, the TX200V offers a pretty clear answer.
Though it’s not obvious from pictures, Sony’s ever-improving software is the real star of the show here. Look past the 3” rear screen and the sharp Carl Zeiss lens, which are common enough on Sony cameras these days, and consider what the TX200V does with its processor and backlit Exmor R CMOS sensor. In addition to tricks such as automatic background defocusing using two overlaid shots, intelligent smile detection, and a wickedly fast panoramic stitching mode that assembles ultra-wide images in near realtime, the TX200V has iPhone-like GPS and compass features, as well as automated modes that make pointing and shooting easier than ever. One hiccup: you’ll need to use Memory Stick Micro, microSD or microSDHC memory cards, small but fringe formats. This is a modest price to pay for an otherwise impressive new camera, planned for release in March.
- Happy Thanksgiving 2014 from iLounge!
- Apps of the Week: The Longest Journey Remastered, Facebook Groups, Dropbox 3.5.2 + Runkeeper 5.1
- Apple highlights more Apple Watch info
- Verizon sponsoring ad-free listening to all U.S. iTunes Radio users
- Microsoft, Yahoo hope to replace Google for Safari default search?
- T-Mobile required to fully disclose throttled data speeds
- Steve Jobs biopic picked up by Universal, Fassbender to star
- Handbrake updated to 0.10, adds new encoders + more
- Report: ‘Deep Organizational Issues’ at Apple affecting iCloud progress
- Apple announces Product(RED) Gift Cards for Black Friday
- Verus Case Damda Slide for iPhone 6 Plus
- Heckler Design @Rest Stand for iPad (2014)
- Kerf Case Wood Cases for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Urban Armor Gear Folio for iPhone 6 Plus
- ZeroChroma FluxStand-Compatible Car Vent Mount + Reflective Armband
- Griffin Slim Folio and Survivor All-Terrain for iPad Air 2
- ZeroChroma Slide-Mount Combo Pack for iPad Folio-Slide Cases
- G-Project G-Go Outdoor Wireless Speaker (2014)
- SteelSeries Stratus XL Gaming Controller
- Belkin/Jarden Mr. Coffee 10-Cup Smart Coffeemaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0