Sony HandyCam HDR-CX430V Camcorder
Truly major innovations in camera hardware appear only once in a blue moon, which is the reason we’re excited about Sony’s Handycam HDR-CX430V ($700). As the most affordable Sony camcorder with Balanced Optical SteadyShot (BOSS)—a remarkable image stabilization technology that is all but impossible to include in slim smartphones or tablets—the HDR-CX430V re-justifies toting around a dedicated device for video recording. While the 8.9-Megapixel still image capture won’t wow iPhone 5 owners, the backlit EXMOR R sensor, 30X optical zoom, and 1080/24-60fps/Dolby 5.1-channel video/audio recording modes all blow past Apple’s latest devices, using a novel moving lens system to capture stable videos despite shaky hands.
The key element in HDR-CX430V is the BOSS image stabilizer, which remarkably moves the entire 26.8mm wide focal length lens and CMOS sensor system around inside the housing to compensate for unintentional hand movements. Using motion sensors in conjunction with the moving lens and sensor, BOSS locks on to the scene you’re trying to shoot, making micro-adjustments to hold the scene steady even as the camera moves slightly—an amazing feat that reduces shake by 13 times relative to earlier stabilization techniques. Sony includes 32GB of memory to hold nearly 12 hours of high-resolution video footage, a 3” touchscreen to compose videos, and numerous software optimizations including a MP4/AVCHD recording toggle, face detection, and object-specific automatic focusing.
- Taiwan court rules Samsung used stolen trade secrets to make A9 chip
- Apple loses German patent lawsuit over slide-to-unlock feature
- Best Buy expanding Apple Watch sales to all its stores in September
- Philips introduces dimmer remote kit for Hue lights
- Report: Apple ending One to One tutoring program
- Rumor: Apple working on health tracking ‘smart bands’ for Apple Watch
- Apple provides iPads to 114 schools through ConnectED program
- Apple to streamline Genius Bar, Workshop scheduling online
- Apple offering free replacements for some defective iPhone 6 Plus cameras
- Dr. Dre, Apple make statements on Beats co-founder’s abusive past
- iHome iSP5 SmartPlug
- Spigen Apple Watch Nightstand S350
- DODOcase Lorna iPhone Wallet Case for iPhone 6 Plus
- SwitchEasy Blocks Customizable Dock Building Set for Apple Watch
- DODOcase Maritime Collection Multi-Angle Case for iPad Air 2
- Kanex iPhone ChargeSync Dock for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Onanoff Sound Cover for iPad Air + iPad Air 2
- Native Union Clic 360 for iPhone 6
- Wirelessky iStand 6 for iPhone 6
- Just Mobile Lounge Dock for Apple Watch
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?