Sony HandyCam HDR-CX430V Camcorder
Truly major innovations in camera hardware appear only once in a blue moon, which is the reason we’re excited about Sony’s Handycam HDR-CX430V ($700). As the most affordable Sony camcorder with Balanced Optical SteadyShot (BOSS)—a remarkable image stabilization technology that is all but impossible to include in slim smartphones or tablets—the HDR-CX430V re-justifies toting around a dedicated device for video recording. While the 8.9-Megapixel still image capture won’t wow iPhone 5 owners, the backlit EXMOR R sensor, 30X optical zoom, and 1080/24-60fps/Dolby 5.1-channel video/audio recording modes all blow past Apple’s latest devices, using a novel moving lens system to capture stable videos despite shaky hands.
The key element in HDR-CX430V is the BOSS image stabilizer, which remarkably moves the entire 26.8mm wide focal length lens and CMOS sensor system around inside the housing to compensate for unintentional hand movements. Using motion sensors in conjunction with the moving lens and sensor, BOSS locks on to the scene you’re trying to shoot, making micro-adjustments to hold the scene steady even as the camera moves slightly—an amazing feat that reduces shake by 13 times relative to earlier stabilization techniques. Sony includes 32GB of memory to hold nearly 12 hours of high-resolution video footage, a 3” touchscreen to compose videos, and numerous software optimizations including a MP4/AVCHD recording toggle, face detection, and object-specific automatic focusing.
- Report: iPhone 6S to look ‘nearly identical’ to iPhone 6
- Appeals court: Apple conspired to fix e-book prices
- Apple Music makes subscriptions available through carriers, adds iCloud Music Library
- Apple Music makes much-anticipated debut with iOS 8.4 release
- Apple Q3 earnings call set for July 21
- Iovine: Human curation is key for Apple Music
- Dr. Dre’s ‘The Chronic’ to make streaming debut on Apple Music
- Apple Music roundup: iOS 8.4 to get early Tuesday release, Sonos support on the way
- Apple suppliers now making iPhones with Force Touch
- Parrot announces North American details for new Minidrone lineup
- Just Mobile TimeStand for Apple Watch
- Soundfreaq Sound Kick 2 Wireless Travel Speaker
- iHome SoundFlask iBT32 Bluetooth Speaker
- IK Multimedia iKlip Grip
- Misfit Bolt Wirelessly Connected Smart Bulb
- Nomad Stand for Apple Watch
- MyCharge RazorUltra
- Ultimate Ears UE Roll Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Braven BRV-PRO Bluetooth Speaker
- Olloclip Active Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?