Superzoom cameras are typically point and shoots coupling powerful lenses with weak sensors, so Sony’s new RX10 ($1,300) has just jumped ahead of the pack. While it may look like a DSLR, it’s slightly smaller, and doesn’t allow for interchangeable lenses. For the relatively high price, you get the impressive 20.2-megapixel sensor Sony used in the RX100-II camera, enabling superior color accuracy and low-light shots, plus plenty of high-quality tech that you’d normally not find in a superzoom.
The lens is a 24-200mm zoom with an impressively constant f/2.8 aperture, which means that it’s as fast at shooting objects up close as ones that are far away. Inside, there’s an advanced system for focusing, capable of shooting 10 frames per second with autofocus. Of course 1080p video recording is supported—at 60fps—and there are a handful of other technologies built-in, including Wi-Fi, NFC, dual mics, and more. If you’re on the fence between a point and shoot and a DSLR, you may want to check this one out; it’s an intriguing compromise, albeit with a high price tag that’s largely justified by the lens.
- Report: iPhone 6S to look ‘nearly identical’ to iPhone 6
- Appeals court: Apple conspired to fix e-book prices
- Apple Music makes subscriptions available through carriers, adds iCloud Music Library
- Apple Music makes much-anticipated debut with iOS 8.4 release
- Apple Q3 earnings call set for July 21
- Iovine: Human curation is key for Apple Music
- Dr. Dre’s ‘The Chronic’ to make streaming debut on Apple Music
- Apple Music roundup: iOS 8.4 to get early Tuesday release, Sonos support on the way
- Apple suppliers now making iPhones with Force Touch
- Parrot announces North American details for new Minidrone lineup
- Just Mobile TimeStand for Apple Watch
- Soundfreaq Sound Kick 2 Wireless Travel Speaker
- iHome SoundFlask iBT32 Bluetooth Speaker
- IK Multimedia iKlip Grip
- Misfit Bolt Wirelessly Connected Smart Bulb
- Nomad Stand for Apple Watch
- MyCharge RazorUltra
- Ultimate Ears UE Roll Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Braven BRV-PRO Bluetooth Speaker
- Olloclip Active Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?