Superzoom cameras are typically point and shoots coupling powerful lenses with weak sensors, so Sony’s new RX10 ($1,300) has just jumped ahead of the pack. While it may look like a DSLR, it’s slightly smaller, and doesn’t allow for interchangeable lenses. For the relatively high price, you get the impressive 20.2-megapixel sensor Sony used in the RX100-II camera, enabling superior color accuracy and low-light shots, plus plenty of high-quality tech that you’d normally not find in a superzoom.
The lens is a 24-200mm zoom with an impressively constant f/2.8 aperture, which means that it’s as fast at shooting objects up close as ones that are far away. Inside, there’s an advanced system for focusing, capable of shooting 10 frames per second with autofocus. Of course 1080p video recording is supported—at 60fps—and there are a handful of other technologies built-in, including Wi-Fi, NFC, dual mics, and more. If you’re on the fence between a point and shoot and a DSLR, you may want to check this one out; it’s an intriguing compromise, albeit with a high price tag that’s largely justified by the lens.
- Apple reaches deal with UnionPay to bring Apple Pay to China
- DisneyLife subscription-based app launches in the U.K.
- Apple buys motion capture company Faceshift
- Apple CarPlay included in 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage
- Apple aims to launch Apple Pay in China by February
- MasterCard giving Apple Pay users free trips on London’s public transit system
- Apple wins DRM patent case against ContentGuard
- Apple working on app to diagnose problems with iOS devices?
- Apple Music: Iovine apologizes for remarks about women; Adele won’t stream new album
- Apple expands personal pickup to Apple Stores in the UK
- Parrot Hydrofoil Drone
- Apple Pencil for iPad Pro
- IK Multimedia iRig Pro DUO
- CableJive HeroDock
- Phiaton BT 330 NC Headphones
- Ecoxgear EcoPebble Powerbank + Speaker
- Lunatik Taktik 360 for iPhone 6/6s
- Belkin Charge Dock for Apple Watch + iPhone
- SwitchEasy Aero, N+, Nude, Play for iPhone 6s/iPhone 6s Plus
- Netatmo Welcome Smart Home Camera
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?