SquidMelon Live Wallpaper
Though it doesn’t make a fantastic first impression, SquidMelon’s Live Wallpaper ($1) is nonetheless a cool demonstration of how your Mac’s desktop background can evolve into something more interesting. Once it’s painlessly installed from the Mac App Store, Live Wallpaper offers you a single, decidedly Windows-like “Modern” backdrop complete with an ever-visible clock and weather forecast at the top of the screen—nice photography and idea, minus great graphic design and layout. But once you open the Preferences menu and manually download 11 other currently-available themes, a process that really should be automated for the user and displayed on first launch, you’ll see this app’s potential: some of the apps feature persistent animation, while others subtly integrate huge clocks or small special effects into beautiful images.
Live Wallpaper’s potential and issues are simultaneously demonstrated in a theme called Typo, which adds gently rotating stars to a cosmic Apple backdrop, along with a somewhat amateurishly implemented combination of calendar, clock, and weather information in different fonts. Theme components are static—you can turn off the time or weather elements, but can’t manually reposition them—and generally designed around the assumption that you’ll have a dock at the bottom of the screen, sometimes also assuming you won’t have icons off to the right. But while the elements aren’t always ideally arranged, the backdrops are generally great: a theme called Nebula includes a full-screen, animated nebula, while Polar Clock, Color Stripes, and Horizontal Bar offer different spins on minimalist art with clean presentations of calendar and clock information. MacBook users may find the constant CPU demands (and resulting battery drain) off-putting, but desktop Mac owners mightn’t mind as much. With a little extra theme polish, Live Wallpaper could be a truly great app; for the time being, it offers enough cool content to be worth the low asking price.
- Report: Dual app viewing, multiple logins coming to iPad
- Transit coming to Apple Maps in iOS 9?
- Apple and IBM expand MobileFirst apps to Apple Watch
- Report: Pebble facing financial struggles?
- iOS 9 to include new Home app for HomeKit?
- Report: Apple to bring Apple Watch font to iOS 9
- Leak reveals Flow by Outlook, a Microsoft email messaging app for iPhone
- Olloclip releases new Active Lens for iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus
- Refurbished iPad Air 2 models hit Apple Store
- Apple releases first Apple Watch Software Update
- Witti Notti and Dotti
- PhoneSuit Elite 6 and Elite 6 Pro Battery Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Wren V5US Speaker
- Skech Base for iPad Air 2
- Anova Culinary Precision Cooker
- Phiaton MS 100 BA Earphones
- Olloclip Ollocase for iPhone 6
- AKG Y50 On-Ear Headphones
- Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 SonicPro Over-Ear Headphones
- Mobee Technology Magic Case 6 for iPhone 6
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?