SquidMelon Live Wallpaper
Though it doesn’t make a fantastic first impression, SquidMelon’s Live Wallpaper ($1) is nonetheless a cool demonstration of how your Mac’s desktop background can evolve into something more interesting. Once it’s painlessly installed from the Mac App Store, Live Wallpaper offers you a single, decidedly Windows-like “Modern” backdrop complete with an ever-visible clock and weather forecast at the top of the screen—nice photography and idea, minus great graphic design and layout. But once you open the Preferences menu and manually download 11 other currently-available themes, a process that really should be automated for the user and displayed on first launch, you’ll see this app’s potential: some of the apps feature persistent animation, while others subtly integrate huge clocks or small special effects into beautiful images.
Live Wallpaper’s potential and issues are simultaneously demonstrated in a theme called Typo, which adds gently rotating stars to a cosmic Apple backdrop, along with a somewhat amateurishly implemented combination of calendar, clock, and weather information in different fonts. Theme components are static—you can turn off the time or weather elements, but can’t manually reposition them—and generally designed around the assumption that you’ll have a dock at the bottom of the screen, sometimes also assuming you won’t have icons off to the right. But while the elements aren’t always ideally arranged, the backdrops are generally great: a theme called Nebula includes a full-screen, animated nebula, while Polar Clock, Color Stripes, and Horizontal Bar offer different spins on minimalist art with clean presentations of calendar and clock information. MacBook users may find the constant CPU demands (and resulting battery drain) off-putting, but desktop Mac owners mightn’t mind as much. With a little extra theme polish, Live Wallpaper could be a truly great app; for the time being, it offers enough cool content to be worth the low asking price.
- Rumor: iPhone 6S Plus to have smaller battery, packaging revealed?
- Report: Apple behind San Francisco ‘mystery event’ in early September
- Taiwan court rules Samsung used stolen trade secrets to make A9 chip
- Apple loses German patent lawsuit over slide-to-unlock feature
- Best Buy expanding Apple Watch sales to all its stores in September
- Philips introduces dimmer remote kit for Hue lights
- Report: Apple ending One to One tutoring program
- Rumor: Apple working on health tracking ‘smart bands’ for Apple Watch
- Apple provides iPads to 114 schools through ConnectED program
- Apple to streamline Genius Bar, Workshop scheduling online
- iHome iSP5 SmartPlug
- Spigen Apple Watch Nightstand S350
- DODOcase Lorna iPhone Wallet Case for iPhone 6 Plus
- SwitchEasy Blocks Customizable Dock Building Set for Apple Watch
- DODOcase Maritime Collection Multi-Angle Case for iPad Air 2
- Kanex iPhone ChargeSync Dock for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Onanoff Sound Cover for iPad Air + iPad Air 2
- Native Union Clic 360 for iPhone 6
- Wirelessky iStand 6 for iPhone 6
- Just Mobile Lounge Dock for Apple Watch
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?