Thalmic Labs Myo
“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic,” Arthur C. Clarke said, and a new wireless accessory sure looks close to using the Force to control your Mac. Myo ($149) from Thalmic Labs may look like a simple armband, but the Bluetooth-equipped accessory promises a new way to control your computer, using muscle activity and motion sensing for a totally unique experience.
Myo fits around the forearm like a sweatband, and is said to have a one-size-fits-all design. It’s lined with sensors that are sensitive enough to detect muscle movement down to each finger. The idea is that you’ll be able to control the apps on your Mac with simple gestures in the air—Thalmic Labs is now offering developers access to tools so that they can integrate Myo functionality into their apps. While we’re a little leery of the ambiguous, distant delivery date—pre-order now and Myo will ship later this year to a “limited” number of people—we’re optimistic that Myo will become a reality.
- Apple names Apple Watch execs, now hiring others
- Apple posts removal guide for U2’s Songs of Innocence album
- Apple medical trials will provide HealthKit insights
- iLife and iWork apps to be pre-installed on 64/128 GB iPhone 6/6 Plus
- Report: Apple gets 0.15 percent from each Apple Pay transaction
- Apple announces record 4M+ pre-orders for iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- Apple and U2 to work together on music innovation
- Video Review: Logitech Bluetooth Multi-Device Keyboard K480
- Apple delaying SMS Continuity until October?
- Zoom iQ6 XY Stereo Microphone for iPhone + iPad
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Series 2 headphones
- Logitech Bluetooth Multi-Device Keyboard K480
- Cambridge Audio Bluetone 100 Bluetooth Speaker
- Cambridge Audio Go V2 Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Soundfreaq Double Spot SFQ-09 Wireless Speaker
- iHome iBN6 Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker
- Grace Digital Ecostone Bluetooth Speaker
- Awesome Cables 6ft Braided Awesome Cable
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad Air
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010