Thalmic Labs Myo
“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic,” Arthur C. Clarke said, and a new wireless accessory sure looks close to using the Force to control your Mac. Myo ($149) from Thalmic Labs may look like a simple armband, but the Bluetooth-equipped accessory promises a new way to control your computer, using muscle activity and motion sensing for a totally unique experience.
Myo fits around the forearm like a sweatband, and is said to have a one-size-fits-all design. It’s lined with sensors that are sensitive enough to detect muscle movement down to each finger. The idea is that you’ll be able to control the apps on your Mac with simple gestures in the air—Thalmic Labs is now offering developers access to tools so that they can integrate Myo functionality into their apps. While we’re a little leery of the ambiguous, distant delivery date—pre-order now and Myo will ship later this year to a “limited” number of people—we’re optimistic that Myo will become a reality.
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, sign up now
- Apple retail stores to have very limited Apple Watch stock
- Apple quietly acquiring companies to improve cloud services?
- Apple planning to release three iPhone models this year?
- Report reveals more details on Apple’s upcoming music service
- Apple adds CNNgo channel to Apple TV
- Apple acquires database company FoundationDB
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 4
- Apple adds Tastemade, TED, Young Hollywood channels to Apple TV
- Source: Italian prosecutors wrap up Apple tax probe
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Chil Attraction Jacket for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?