Thalmic Labs Myo
“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic,” Arthur C. Clarke said, and a new wireless accessory sure looks close to using the Force to control your Mac. Myo ($149) from Thalmic Labs may look like a simple armband, but the Bluetooth-equipped accessory promises a new way to control your computer, using muscle activity and motion sensing for a totally unique experience.
Myo fits around the forearm like a sweatband, and is said to have a one-size-fits-all design. It’s lined with sensors that are sensitive enough to detect muscle movement down to each finger. The idea is that you’ll be able to control the apps on your Mac with simple gestures in the air—Thalmic Labs is now offering developers access to tools so that they can integrate Myo functionality into their apps. While we’re a little leery of the ambiguous, distant delivery date—pre-order now and Myo will ship later this year to a “limited” number of people—we’re optimistic that Myo will become a reality.
- Apple announces ‘Spring Forward’ event for March 9
- Brikk unveils opulent Apple Watch line priced up to $75,000
- Apple Maps adds new third-party data providers
- Apple ordered to pay $532.9m in iTunes patent infringement case
- Apple reportedly streamlining Genius Bar experience
- Report: Apple acquires Camel Audio
- VISA ‘tokenization’ may speed Apple Pay EU deployment
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 2 to developers
- Toyota currently has ‘no plans’ to adopt CarPlay in the US
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, sign up now
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- NewerTech NuGuard KX for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Incipio Clarion and Faraday for iPad Air 2
- iWalk Rugged Power Case for iPhone 6
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?
- What can I actually share with Family Sharing in iOS 8?
- How do I find and remove only downloaded tracks with iTunes Match?