The Container Store Silver Mesh Wastebasket
Apple’s Mac OS X trash can icon is, well, iconic at this point, and we’ll confess to having hunted down a real-life counterpart to place under a desk in our offices. The Container Store’s Silver Mesh Wastebasket ($10) is a highly similar option with the benefit of finer mesh on its round walls, making it more capable of safely holding things other than paper. Unlike Ikea’s now-discontinued circular Dokument, the silver color’s a little brighter and it’s just a little taller, too.
Measuring 11.5” in diameter by 14” tall, the Silver Mesh Wastebasket has enough capacity for a week’s worth of light office trash or small item recycling—it’s not big enough to use in a kitchen or as a general-purpose wastebasket unless you want to frequently empty it. To preserve the OS X-like aesthetic, we’ve found ourselves struggling to avoid putting a liner inside, due to the interesting challenges a mesh can faces whenever you flip the bin to remove coffee cups and the like. Our advice: stick to papers and similarly dry recyclables.
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, last chance for August giveaway
- Apple to add 3X Retina Display support to iPhone 6?
- iPhone 6 logic board leak shows NFC, A8 chips
- Massive report reveals Apple’s PR strategies
- iWatch not shipping until 2015?
- Report: Dutch chipmaker NXP to provide iPhone 6 NFC chips
- Video Review: Parrot’s Jumping Sumo and Rolling Spider
- Apps of the Week: Hyperlapse, BioShock, Asphalt 8 1.5 + more
- Apple sends out invites to September 9 event
- Report: iPhone 6 to feature NFC mobile payments
- Grace Digital Ecostone Bluetooth Speaker
- Awesome Cables 6ft Braided Awesome Cable
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad Air
- Juno Labs Juno Power HUE Pro
- Parrot Minidrone Jumping Sumo
- Parrot Minidrone Rolling Spider
- Stem Innovation Izon View
- Zivix PUC Wireless MIDI Link
- IK Multimedia iRig Voice
- Ten One Design Magnus Air
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today