Twelve South BackPack 2
Twelve South is back at it again. This time, the Mac-only accessory maker has updated one of its first accessories to version two: BackPack 2 ($35) can now be ordered from the company’s website. It’s not a dramatic departure from the original iMac shelf, but has been tweaked and tailored enough to stand out on its own. Whether you’re using it for an external hard drive, MacBook Air, or even just your wallet, Twelve South outdid itself in renewing one of its signature products. Updated August 6, 2012 with comparison shots and hands-on details!
As before, BackPack 2 is a slab of metal that attaches to the legs of desktop Macs, and also works with Cinema and Thunderbolt Displays. Adjustable clips allow it to be positioned as high or as low as you want it, and Twelve South now officially supports front mounting as well. The package includes four silicone-coated pegs that allow the shelf to hold accessories or a MacBook Air vertically, while cables can be run through rails on either edge. You can even put two BackPack 2s on one Mac.
Now that we’ve had a chance to test BackPack 2, it’s clear that it’s a nice evolution and superior option for new users, but not a necessary upgrade for existing users. Although the aluminum is a bit thinner, it still feels incredibly solid. What really helps to justify the slightly higher price are the addition of the non-slip pads and vertical support pegs, which make the shelf more stable for holding important items. If you already have a BackPack, there’s every reason to stick with it. But if you’re new to the concept of a little shelf and are looking for a way to clear off your desk, the sequel is elegantly designed and easy to install.
- Chinese Government may require Apple to build ‘back door’ into iPhones
- Notes from Apple’s Q1 2015 earnings call
- Cook: Apple Watch shipping in April
- Apple Q1 2015: Record $74.6B revenue, 74.5M iPhones, 24.4M iPads
- Apple Pay support coming to more vending machines, kiosks, parking meters
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- Apple TV adds 120 Sports channel
- Report: Bank verification methods leave Apple Pay vulnerable to fraud
- Apple filing reveals executive compensation plans, earnings
- Report: Apple Watch battery life expected to be about 19 hours
- Harman Kardon Soho Wireless Headphones
- Odoyo Power+Shell EX Rechargeable Battery Case for iPhone 6
- Patriot Memory Fuel iON Magnetic Charging Case with Charging Pad for iPhone 6
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- Incipio Trestle for iPhone 6 Plus
- How do I get a phone number on iMessage?
- Can I share in-app subscriptions among family members?
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards
- Five Things to Watch for at CES 2015