Twelve South BackPack 2
Twelve South is back at it again. This time, the Mac-only accessory maker has updated one of its first accessories to version two: BackPack 2 ($35) can now be ordered from the company’s website. It’s not a dramatic departure from the original iMac shelf, but has been tweaked and tailored enough to stand out on its own. Whether you’re using it for an external hard drive, MacBook Air, or even just your wallet, Twelve South outdid itself in renewing one of its signature products. Updated August 6, 2012 with comparison shots and hands-on details!
As before, BackPack 2 is a slab of metal that attaches to the legs of desktop Macs, and also works with Cinema and Thunderbolt Displays. Adjustable clips allow it to be positioned as high or as low as you want it, and Twelve South now officially supports front mounting as well. The package includes four silicone-coated pegs that allow the shelf to hold accessories or a MacBook Air vertically, while cables can be run through rails on either edge. You can even put two BackPack 2s on one Mac.
Now that we’ve had a chance to test BackPack 2, it’s clear that it’s a nice evolution and superior option for new users, but not a necessary upgrade for existing users. Although the aluminum is a bit thinner, it still feels incredibly solid. What really helps to justify the slightly higher price are the addition of the non-slip pads and vertical support pegs, which make the shelf more stable for holding important items. If you already have a BackPack, there’s every reason to stick with it. But if you’re new to the concept of a little shelf and are looking for a way to clear off your desk, the sequel is elegantly designed and easy to install.
- Happy Thanksgiving 2014 from iLounge!
- Apps of the Week: The Longest Journey Remastered, Facebook Groups, Dropbox 3.5.2 + Runkeeper 5.1
- Apple highlights more Apple Watch info
- Verizon sponsoring ad-free listening to all U.S. iTunes Radio users
- Microsoft, Yahoo hope to replace Google for Safari default search?
- T-Mobile required to fully disclose throttled data speeds
- Steve Jobs biopic picked up by Universal, Fassbender to star
- Handbrake updated to 0.10, adds new encoders + more
- Report: ‘Deep Organizational Issues’ at Apple affecting iCloud progress
- Apple announces Product(RED) Gift Cards for Black Friday
- Verus Case Damda Slide for iPhone 6 Plus
- Heckler Design @Rest Stand for iPad (2014)
- Kerf Case Wood Cases for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Urban Armor Gear Folio for iPhone 6 Plus
- ZeroChroma FluxStand-Compatible Car Vent Mount + Reflective Armband
- Griffin Slim Folio and Survivor All-Terrain for iPad Air 2
- ZeroChroma Slide-Mount Combo Pack for iPad Folio-Slide Cases
- G-Project G-Go Outdoor Wireless Speaker (2014)
- SteelSeries Stratus XL Gaming Controller
- Belkin/Jarden Mr. Coffee 10-Cup Smart Coffeemaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0