Just a word of caution: this app is only for people familiar with UNIX—a fact that the developer is quick to point out in the Mac App Store listing—but if you’re not intimidated by shell commands, Tysoe.org’s GeekTool (Free) can pull off some pretty cool tricks. It can display information right on your desktop, eliminating your need to go to a separate app. Three different default plug-ins are supported.
The first is a file plugin to monitor Mac OS activity, the second is a shell mode for launching custom scripts or commands, and there’s also an image mode that helps you monitor things such as memory availability and CPU load. If you don’t even know what those mean, this probably isn’t the right app for you. But if you get the concepts and are willing to learn or Google for answers, then you could definitely have some fun: as the screenshot shows, you can create a huge clock on your desktop, have a weather forecast running without a Dashboard widget, and put other little nuggets of system information at easy reach. These are the kind of customizations that make people stop and say “How’d you do that?”
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, subscribe now
- Cook: Apple Watch ‘designed to be able to replace car keys’
- Apple again under fire as Ericsson escalates legal action
- Apple announces ‘Spring Forward’ event for March 9
- Brikk unveils opulent Apple Watch line priced up to $75,000
- Apple Maps adds new third-party data providers
- Apple ordered to pay $532.9m in iTunes patent infringement case
- Apple reportedly streamlining Genius Bar experience
- Report: Apple acquires Camel Audio
- VISA ‘tokenization’ may speed Apple Pay EU deployment
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- NewerTech NuGuard KX for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Incipio Clarion and Faraday for iPad Air 2
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?
- What can I actually share with Family Sharing in iOS 8?