Just a word of caution: this app is only for people familiar with UNIX—a fact that the developer is quick to point out in the Mac App Store listing—but if you’re not intimidated by shell commands, Tysoe.org’s GeekTool (Free) can pull off some pretty cool tricks. It can display information right on your desktop, eliminating your need to go to a separate app. Three different default plug-ins are supported.
The first is a file plugin to monitor Mac OS activity, the second is a shell mode for launching custom scripts or commands, and there’s also an image mode that helps you monitor things such as memory availability and CPU load. If you don’t even know what those mean, this probably isn’t the right app for you. But if you get the concepts and are willing to learn or Google for answers, then you could definitely have some fun: as the screenshot shows, you can create a huge clock on your desktop, have a weather forecast running without a Dashboard widget, and put other little nuggets of system information at easy reach. These are the kind of customizations that make people stop and say “How’d you do that?”
- Apple now accepting all Apple Watch app submissions
- Apple hires former Dolby executive
- ITC to investigate Apple over Ericsson complaints
- Apple Q2 earnings call coming April 27
- Alleged ‘iPad Pro’ photos show second Lightning port?
- Apple expands iPhone trade-in program to non-Apple devices
- Alleged ‘iPhone 6c’ rear shell photos leaked
- Gear section, Disqus comments added to iLounge
- FDA taking ‘hands-off approach’ to regulating Apple Watch
- Apple Watch won’t be sold to walk-in customers at launch
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?