Velocity Micro VMultra Drive
For most, Apple’s decision to jettison the optical drive from pretty much all of its computers isn’t a big deal. But we know there are some who still need them, especially on the now SuperDrive-less iMac. VMultra Drive ($200) seems like a pretty intriguing solution for those users. It’s more than just a disc drive; extra inputs and even additional storage are built in too.
Ignore the fact that Velocity Micro is a PC company; we’ve checked with the folks over there and they’ve told us the drive will work with Macs. The bulk of the unit is taken up by the 8x DVD±R/RW burner and reader—those specs are comparable to the ones on Apple’s standalone USB SuperDrive. Turn it to the side and you’ll find a pair of USB 3.0 ports, plus a USB 2.0 port and an SD card slot. The new iMacs still have SD support, but you have to reach around to the back; this seems easier. Finally there’s a 500GB backup drive built-in. It’s a pretty smart accessory.
- Apple retail stores to have very limited Apple Watch stock
- Apple quietly acquiring companies to improve cloud services?
- Apple planning to release three iPhone models this year?
- Report reveals more details on Apple’s upcoming music service
- Apple adds CNNgo channel to Apple TV
- Apple acquires database company FoundationDB
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 4
- Apple adds Tastemade, TED, Young Hollywood channels to Apple TV
- Source: Italian prosecutors wrap up Apple tax probe
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Chil Attraction Jacket for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?