Velocity Micro VMultra Drive
For most, Apple’s decision to jettison the optical drive from pretty much all of its computers isn’t a big deal. But we know there are some who still need them, especially on the now SuperDrive-less iMac. VMultra Drive ($200) seems like a pretty intriguing solution for those users. It’s more than just a disc drive; extra inputs and even additional storage are built in too.
Ignore the fact that Velocity Micro is a PC company; we’ve checked with the folks over there and they’ve told us the drive will work with Macs. The bulk of the unit is taken up by the 8x DVD±R/RW burner and reader—those specs are comparable to the ones on Apple’s standalone USB SuperDrive. Turn it to the side and you’ll find a pair of USB 3.0 ports, plus a USB 2.0 port and an SD card slot. The new iMacs still have SD support, but you have to reach around to the back; this seems easier. Finally there’s a 500GB backup drive built-in. It’s a pretty smart accessory.
- Apps of the Week: Star Walk 2, Swing Copters, Vine 2.5 + more
- Apple releases new iTunes 12 beta
- Alleged rear shell for 5.5” iPhone 6 leaked
- Video Review: Otterbox Agility Tablet System
- NFL Now channel comes to Apple TV
- New iPhone 6 schematic leak shows protruding camera lens
- Mercedes, Volvo delay CarPlay support until 2015
- iOS 8 beta suggests 1472x828 resolution, more icons for iPhone 6 Home Screen?
- Report: Apple releases iOS 8 beta 6 to testing partners
- Sprint announces Family Share Pack data plans
- Parrot Minidrone Rolling Spider
- Stem Innovation Izon View
- Zivix PUC Wireless MIDI Link
- IK Multimedia iRig Voice
- Ten One Design Magnus Air
- Go Design TravelCard Charger
- OtterBox Agility Tablet System for iPad Air
- SwitchEasy B’Spoke for iPad Air
- Kero Products Nomad Cable Lightning
- Juno Labs Juno Power Junojumpr
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today