Podcasts are really well-suited to mobile devices; is there a better way to run than with Ira Glass discussing Argentinian basket makers? But podcasts have a place on traditional computers, too. Most people rely on iTunes to manage their audio and video subscriptions, but Vemedio thinks it has a better way. The company has ported its popular iOS app to the Mac with a public beta of Instacast (Free), which eliminates iTunes’ bloat in favor of a more podcast-focused user interface.
Instacast allows you to subscribe to your favorite podcasts directly, skipping over iTunes altogether. Once you’ve searched through the top feeds, or added your own URLs, the app will download the most recent episode, and list others that are available. You can then listen or watch, with the show notes in a column to the right. Since it’s a beta, there are bound to be a few bugs, but it looks like a nice standalone solution so far.
- iLounge Weekly comes out Monday, subscribe now
- Verizon to allow users to opt out of web tracking ‘supercookies’
- Apple releases iTunes 12.1 update, adds Notification Center widget
- Chinese Government may require Apple to build ‘back door’ into iPhones
- Notes from Apple’s Q1 2015 earnings call
- Cook: Apple Watch shipping in April
- Apple Q1 2015: Record $74.6B revenue, 74.5M iPhones, 24.4M iPads
- Apple Pay support coming to more vending machines, kiosks, parking meters
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- Apple TV adds 120 Sports channel
- RooCase ORB Tablet System
- Harman Kardon Soho Wireless Headphones
- Odoyo Power+Shell EX Rechargeable Battery Case for iPhone 6
- Patriot Memory Fuel iON Magnetic Charging Case with Charging Pad for iPhone 6
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- How do I turn off Reachability on the iPhone 6 Plus?
- How do I get a phone number on iMessage?
- Can I share in-app subscriptions among family members?
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards