Podcasts are really well-suited to mobile devices; is there a better way to run than with Ira Glass discussing Argentinian basket makers? But podcasts have a place on traditional computers, too. Most people rely on iTunes to manage their audio and video subscriptions, but Vemedio thinks it has a better way. The company has ported its popular iOS app to the Mac with a public beta of Instacast (Free), which eliminates iTunes’ bloat in favor of a more podcast-focused user interface.
Instacast allows you to subscribe to your favorite podcasts directly, skipping over iTunes altogether. Once you’ve searched through the top feeds, or added your own URLs, the app will download the most recent episode, and list others that are available. You can then listen or watch, with the show notes in a column to the right. Since it’s a beta, there are bound to be a few bugs, but it looks like a nice standalone solution so far.
- Apple Watch unboxing gallery posted
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- FoneFox posts Apple Watch waterproof testing video
- iFixit posts Apple Watch teardown
- Apple posts Apple Watch User Guide
- Apple planning to release new iPod touch later this year?
- Nokia shopping around its Maps division, courting Apple
- Apple Watch pre-orders arriving tomorrow, Apple posts more Guided Tours
- Security flaw opens iOS devices to attack using fake WiFi hotspots
- Security flaw leaves about 1,500 iOS apps vulnerable to attack
- Zagg Pocket Keyboard
- Adonit Jot Script 2
- Rokform Rokfolio Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Parrot Bebop Drone
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?