Western Digital My Book Studio (2011)
Western Digital’s My Book Studio ($150-$250) external hard drives have long been popular with Mac users, and they’ve just gotten an even more Apple-like facelift. Now available in 1TB, 2TB, and 3TB capacities, these fancy book-shaped drives come formatted for Macs and ready to use with Time Machine. A new brushed aluminum casing makes them look even better than before.
So just what is new with these updated drives? The biggest change is the casing—it’s now a perfect match for your aluminum-bodied Mac. Not only does it look great, but it also helps keep the WD Caviar Green drive mechanism inside naturally cool. There’s now no need for an internal fan, which leads to a quieter drive that lasts longer. USB 2.0 and Firewire 800/400 are on the back, but no Thunderbolt; that’s probably because of the currently high cost of implementing the super high-speed data port right now. Here’s hoping for a turbocharged version in 2012, but we like the looks and pricing of this version quite a bit right now.
- Apple releases first Apple Watch Software Update
- Apple extends agreement with TomTom for Maps
- Apple releases iPhone Lightning Dock with iPhone 6/iPhone 6 Plus compatibility
- Apple, others urge Obama not to limit encryption
- WSJ: Apple dropped TV set plans ‘more than a year ago’
- Appeals court cuts award in Apple’s $930M win over Samsung
- Apple developing ‘Find my Watch’ for Apple Watch; new Apple TV larger in size?
- Apple acquires GPS firm Coherent Navigation
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, sign up now
- Apple to drop iPhone 3G, 3GS support as of June 9th
- Wren V5US Speaker
- Skech Base for iPad Air 2
- Anova Culinary Precision Cooker
- Phiaton MS 100 BA Earphones
- Olloclip Ollocase for iPhone 6
- AKG Y50 On-Ear Headphones
- Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 SonicPro Over-Ear Headphones
- Mobee Technology Magic Case 6 for iPhone 6
- Uniq Transforma for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Skech SkechBook for iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?