Western Digital My Book Studio (2011)
Western Digital’s My Book Studio ($150-$250) external hard drives have long been popular with Mac users, and they’ve just gotten an even more Apple-like facelift. Now available in 1TB, 2TB, and 3TB capacities, these fancy book-shaped drives come formatted for Macs and ready to use with Time Machine. A new brushed aluminum casing makes them look even better than before.
So just what is new with these updated drives? The biggest change is the casing—it’s now a perfect match for your aluminum-bodied Mac. Not only does it look great, but it also helps keep the WD Caviar Green drive mechanism inside naturally cool. There’s now no need for an internal fan, which leads to a quieter drive that lasts longer. USB 2.0 and Firewire 800/400 are on the back, but no Thunderbolt; that’s probably because of the currently high cost of implementing the super high-speed data port right now. Here’s hoping for a turbocharged version in 2012, but we like the looks and pricing of this version quite a bit right now.
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, sign up now
- Apple retail stores to have very limited Apple Watch stock
- Apple quietly acquiring companies to improve cloud services?
- Apple planning to release three iPhone models this year?
- Report reveals more details on Apple’s upcoming music service
- Apple adds CNNgo channel to Apple TV
- Apple acquires database company FoundationDB
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 4
- Apple adds Tastemade, TED, Young Hollywood channels to Apple TV
- Source: Italian prosecutors wrap up Apple tax probe
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Chil Attraction Jacket for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?