Western Digital My Book Studio (2011)
Western Digital’s My Book Studio ($150-$250) external hard drives have long been popular with Mac users, and they’ve just gotten an even more Apple-like facelift. Now available in 1TB, 2TB, and 3TB capacities, these fancy book-shaped drives come formatted for Macs and ready to use with Time Machine. A new brushed aluminum casing makes them look even better than before.
So just what is new with these updated drives? The biggest change is the casing—it’s now a perfect match for your aluminum-bodied Mac. Not only does it look great, but it also helps keep the WD Caviar Green drive mechanism inside naturally cool. There’s now no need for an internal fan, which leads to a quieter drive that lasts longer. USB 2.0 and Firewire 800/400 are on the back, but no Thunderbolt; that’s probably because of the currently high cost of implementing the super high-speed data port right now. Here’s hoping for a turbocharged version in 2012, but we like the looks and pricing of this version quite a bit right now.
- Report: Apple still missing key music streaming deals in time for WWDC debut
- Apple TV adds Shomi, CraveTV channels in Canada
- Apple TV adds CBS Sports, USA Now channels
- GE’s intelligent LED lightbulbs will work with HomeKit
- Apple releases band design guidelines for Apple Watch
- New Apple TV remote to have touchpad
- Report: New 12.9” iPad will feature Force Touch, Bluetooth stylus, NFC
- Apple asking music labels to kill Spotify’s free streaming tier
- Apple updates support article confirming Apple Watch tattoo issue
- Apple reportedly hires four more producers from BBC Radio 1
- Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 SonicPro Over-Ear Headphones
- Mobee Technology Magic Case 6 for iPhone 6
- Uniq Transforma for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Skech SkechBook for iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Yurbuds Liberty Wireless Earphones
- Apple Watch
- Zagg Pocket Keyboard
- Adonit Jot Script 2
- Rokform Rokfolio Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Parrot Bebop Drone
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?