Western Digital My Book Studio (2011)
Western Digital’s My Book Studio ($150-$250) external hard drives have long been popular with Mac users, and they’ve just gotten an even more Apple-like facelift. Now available in 1TB, 2TB, and 3TB capacities, these fancy book-shaped drives come formatted for Macs and ready to use with Time Machine. A new brushed aluminum casing makes them look even better than before.
So just what is new with these updated drives? The biggest change is the casing—it’s now a perfect match for your aluminum-bodied Mac. Not only does it look great, but it also helps keep the WD Caviar Green drive mechanism inside naturally cool. There’s now no need for an internal fan, which leads to a quieter drive that lasts longer. USB 2.0 and Firewire 800/400 are on the back, but no Thunderbolt; that’s probably because of the currently high cost of implementing the super high-speed data port right now. Here’s hoping for a turbocharged version in 2012, but we like the looks and pricing of this version quite a bit right now.
- Notes from Apple’s Q1 2015 earnings call
- Cook: Apple Watch shipping in April
- Apple Q1 2015: Record $74.6B revenue, 74.5M iPhones, 24.4M iPads
- Apple Pay support coming to more vending machines, kiosks, parking meters
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- Apple TV adds 120 Sports channel
- Report: Bank verification methods leave Apple Pay vulnerable to fraud
- Apple filing reveals executive compensation plans, earnings
- Report: Apple Watch battery life expected to be about 19 hours
- Apple outlines limited HomeKit support for non-HomeKit accessories
- Odoyo Power+Shell EX Rechargeable Battery Case for iPhone 6
- Patriot Memory Fuel iON Magnetic Charging Case with Charging Pad for iPhone 6
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- Incipio Trestle for iPhone 6 Plus
- Urban Armor Gear Folio Case for iPad Air 2
- Can I share in-app subscriptions among family members?
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards
- Five Things to Watch for at CES 2015
- Last-Minute Holiday Gift Guide for 2014