Western Digital My Book Thunderbolt Duo
The Thunderbolt ports on our Macs are starting to get a little lonely. It’s been just shy of a year since Apple and Intel launched the standard with the early 2011 MacBook Pro, and there are still only a handful of supported accessories. Of those, there are barely any that are aimed towards consumers; most are for high-end, professional users. And Western Digital’s upcoming My Book Thunderbolt Duo ($TBD) isn’t going to be for everyone, either, but it’s another clean design with extra horsepower under the hood. Originally previewed at this year’s International CES, My Book Thunderbolt Duo doesn’t yet have a final release date, but the hardware’s real and looking pretty good.
The key with Thunderbolt is speed—the standard is capable of up to 10 gigabits per second, to be precise—and this drive is built to leverage it. WD claims a full HD movie will transfer to or from your computer in 30 seconds. 4TB and 6TB versions will be available, and they’ll both use a RAID 0 setup, with two drives inside achieving 250-280MBps speeds. And of course you’ll be able to daisy chain multiple drives or other Thunderbolt accessories, up to six at a time, with promised 760MBps read and 450MBps write speeds across multiple drives.
- iLounge Weekly comes out Monday, subscribe now
- Verizon to allow users to opt out of web tracking ‘supercookies’
- Apple releases iTunes 12.1 update, adds Notification Center widget
- Chinese Government may require Apple to build ‘back door’ into iPhones
- Notes from Apple’s Q1 2015 earnings call
- Cook: Apple Watch shipping in April
- Apple Q1 2015: Record $74.6B revenue, 74.5M iPhones, 24.4M iPads
- Apple Pay support coming to more vending machines, kiosks, parking meters
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- Apple TV adds 120 Sports channel
- RooCase ORB Tablet System
- Harman Kardon Soho Wireless Headphones
- Odoyo Power+Shell EX Rechargeable Battery Case for iPhone 6
- Patriot Memory Fuel iON Magnetic Charging Case with Charging Pad for iPhone 6
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- How do I turn off Reachability on the iPhone 6 Plus?
- How do I get a phone number on iMessage?
- Can I share in-app subscriptions among family members?
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards