XtremeMac Tango Bar
Made to fit right underneath your iMac, Cinema Display, or Thunderbolt Display, XtremeMac’s just announced Tango Bar ($100), a good-looking way to pump some more sound into your home or office. While it can connect to any computer—or any other audio source, for that matter—the speaker is particularly well-suited for using that otherwise unoccupied space under Apple monitors, and is designed to match their aluminum bodies. Updated December 20, 2011: We’ve now had the opportunity to test the Tango Bar in person, and have added some new details below.
Tango Bar has a six speaker configuration: dual dome tweeters, midrange/bass drivers, and passive radiators for bass. It carries audio from your computer via USB, and that’s how it’s powered, too. If you want to hook up to a device that doesn’t perform music over USB, there’s a line-in port, though USB power will still be required to operate the speakers. XtremeMac also built headphone output and sub-out ports into the back, though the actual need for such things is sort of a question mark. The speaker is made from silver plastic with black end caps and an orange-ringed volume dial, with two rubberized feet on the bottom and a gap large enough to let any iMac/Cinema Display leg sit comfortably in the middle. Audio quality is good for a $100 all-in-one speaker, with a higher maximum volume than is possible from even the 27” iMac’s integrated speakers, and substantially better audio balance—fuller sound with noticeably better bass and midrange performance, plus competent treble; the iMac’s integrated hardware sounds very shallow and directionally challenged when compared to Tango Bar. It’s definitely a nice match for Apple’s industrial designs, a very good use of space, and a solid value for the price.
- Revamped Apple music service not coming until WWDC; new Apple TV later this year?
- Larger iPad production delayed until later this year, USB 3.0 ports to be added?
- Apple, others likely to reach $415M settlement in poaching lawsuit [Update: settlement approved]
- Apple and HBO in talks for ‘HBO Now’ service launch
- Report: Next-gen ‘iPhone 6s’ to feature 2GB RAM, Apple SIM
- Apple looking to settle with electric car battery company
- Apple pushing out fix next week for ‘FREAK’ security flaw
- Report: Apple Watch retail strategy aims to push iPhone sales
- Apple back on top in phone sales for first time since 2011
- Phishing scam targets iCloud credentials of iOS device theft victims
- Gumdrop Cases Drop Tech Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Uniq Aircraft+ for iPhone 6
- Speck MightyShell + Faceplate for iPhone 6 Plus
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?