XtremeMac Tango Bar
Made to fit right underneath your iMac, Cinema Display, or Thunderbolt Display, XtremeMac’s just announced Tango Bar ($100), a good-looking way to pump some more sound into your home or office. While it can connect to any computer—or any other audio source, for that matter—the speaker is particularly well-suited for using that otherwise unoccupied space under Apple monitors, and is designed to match their aluminum bodies. Updated December 20, 2011: We’ve now had the opportunity to test the Tango Bar in person, and have added some new details below.
Tango Bar has a six speaker configuration: dual dome tweeters, midrange/bass drivers, and passive radiators for bass. It carries audio from your computer via USB, and that’s how it’s powered, too. If you want to hook up to a device that doesn’t perform music over USB, there’s a line-in port, though USB power will still be required to operate the speakers. XtremeMac also built headphone output and sub-out ports into the back, though the actual need for such things is sort of a question mark. The speaker is made from silver plastic with black end caps and an orange-ringed volume dial, with two rubberized feet on the bottom and a gap large enough to let any iMac/Cinema Display leg sit comfortably in the middle. Audio quality is good for a $100 all-in-one speaker, with a higher maximum volume than is possible from even the 27” iMac’s integrated speakers, and substantially better audio balance—fuller sound with noticeably better bass and midrange performance, plus competent treble; the iMac’s integrated hardware sounds very shallow and directionally challenged when compared to Tango Bar. It’s definitely a nice match for Apple’s industrial designs, a very good use of space, and a solid value for the price.
- Apple announces ‘Spring Forward’ event for March 9
- Brikk unveils opulent Apple Watch line priced up to $75,000
- Apple Maps adds new third-party data providers
- Apple ordered to pay $532.9m in iTunes patent infringement case
- Apple reportedly streamlining Genius Bar experience
- Report: Apple acquires Camel Audio
- VISA ‘tokenization’ may speed Apple Pay EU deployment
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 2 to developers
- Toyota currently has ‘no plans’ to adopt CarPlay in the US
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, sign up now
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- NewerTech NuGuard KX for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Incipio Clarion and Faraday for iPad Air 2
- iWalk Rugged Power Case for iPhone 6
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?
- What can I actually share with Family Sharing in iOS 8?
- How do I find and remove only downloaded tracks with iTunes Match?