1.7-inch Apple-branded touchscreen surfaces | iLounge News

1.7-inch Apple-branded touchscreen surfaces

A roughly 1.7-inch diagonal touchscreen carrying an Apple marking has been found, photographs of which have been posted online (Translated Link). The 3cm by 3cm square screen features a thin black bezel, similar to that found on the iPad, around all four sides, with connection cables emerging from what appear to be the bottom and right side. The cable to the right carries a variety of labels, including “Apple © 2009.” The width of the screen is roughly the same as screens that have been used in the first-, second-, fourth, and fifth-generation iPod nano, with a height that is slightly greater than the screen used in the first- and second-generation iPod nano. If the touchscreen were to be used in a future iPod nano, it would remove roughly half of the screen real estate found in current models; it could also be meant for a future iPod shuffle, one with the ability to display album artwork and a simplified touch-based interface.

« Latest edition of iLounge Weekly arriving shortly

iPhone 4 proximity sensor problems blamed on software »

I have small fingers, and even I fatfinger controls on the iPhone sometimes.

Posted by Charles Starrett on July 9, 2010 at 11:10 AM (CDT)

If it turns out that this touch screen is used for the shuffle, I won’t be buying it.  First of all, I sweat way too much running in the Texas heat to even think about using a touch screen.  Second, I do not want to have to look at the screen while I’m running in order to control the shuffle.

Posted by Charles Starrett on July 9, 2010 at 11:40 AM (CDT)

Given the extreme size fetishism displayed with the Shuffle line I’d be positively shocked to see that wind up as a future Shuffle control. I am much more intrigued that it’s going to mark a hybrid evolution for the nano - keeping a LCD screen for video, but ditching the clickwheel in favor of the above with a scaled down iOS interface for control of the device.

I’m not privy to Apple’s internal financials, but given their track record on bugs and bug fixing, I’d be amazed if it hasn’t occurred to Apple that a platform like the iOS makes much more financial sense as the unifying i-family OS than kludging and coding their way through device specific OS’s every year for, at least formerly, non-iOS devices.

Posted by Charles Starrett on July 9, 2010 at 11:42 AM (CDT)

Every one seems to think that it is for an iDevice, well it is about the size of a mouse pad on a mac book, is it not? mmmmm…...

Posted by Charles Starrett on July 9, 2010 at 12:01 PM (CDT)

Anyone else getting real tired of Apple’s things being “found” in strange places? Stupid way to leak info on future products. But I gotta say, it did work on hype-ing up the iphone 4.

Posted by Charles Starrett on July 9, 2010 at 12:36 PM (CDT)

Brian its way too small for a macbook track pad. I’m thinking either Shuffle or Nano interface.

Posted by Charles Starrett on July 9, 2010 at 12:47 PM (CDT)

Eric, you hit the nail right on the head.  You don’t turn around with out Apple “losing” something or someone “finding” a brand new working i device in a bar.

Happens all the time; i’m sure.  I could see taking my companies top secret, not yet released, product to a bar and leaving it there.

totally reasonable.

Posted by Charles Starrett on July 9, 2010 at 3:54 PM (CDT)

I could imagine this being used for a watch as the source site shows in a pic, like LG’s Watch. But who knows. Apple leaving their products around is either showing irresponsibility or apple is just trying to get more publicity.

Posted by Charles Starrett on July 9, 2010 at 7:05 PM (CDT)

If it’s even real.  Why would a PART have a copyright sign on it?  Can you even copyright a part?

Posted by Charles Starrett on July 9, 2010 at 9:44 PM (CDT)

iPod Classic.

There’s STILL a need for CAPACITY.
Apple Lossless.

Posted by Charles Starrett on July 9, 2010 at 10:00 PM (CDT)

@ comment 5

You not considered this might be a strategic leak to move the conversation on from the iPhone 4 reception problems? Instead of a thousand blogs talking about that they’re now speculating on this…

Posted by Charles Starrett on July 10, 2010 at 1:11 PM (CDT)

If this is going to be the next-gen iPod shuffle, I’m going to be disappointed. I bought the shuffle, because it was a no-nonsense music player. Save for the third-gen, it was so easy to use. Also, I dont think it will be any easier to use with a touchscreen that small. Overall, if I wanted a screen on my iPod shuffle, I would’ve gotten a nano.

Posted by Charles Starrett on July 10, 2010 at 2:03 PM (CDT)

hi there   you are right   but   i like the touch screen   soo a can instantly   scroll   too the song imiditaly   i am more worried about the touch screen means less room for flash memory storage capacity i know too days ipod shuffle   has 4 gb   flash memory   but your right i bought   the massive 64 gb ipod touch   thats 14,000 songs   80 hours of video

Posted by Charles Starrett on July 11, 2010 at 8:40 PM (CDT)

I’m hoping this is a sign that Apple’s working on a iWatch. Assuming they solve battery life and PC connection issues, an iPod-like music device on your wrist could be really cool, and a good opportunity for pushing adoption of wireless headphones. Also, if anyone could make a device like this stylish enough that people would actually want to wear it, it would be Apple.

Posted by Charles Starrett on July 14, 2010 at 1:22 PM (CDT)

I want a watch! Apple give me a watch, but please don’t add an apple logo, at least only on the display somewhere!

Posted by Charles Starrett on August 4, 2010 at 7:49 PM (CDT)

This is interesting. The previous advantage of the touch screen was the apps, but this is way too small for that, so I am left hoping that this is a sort of pda watch. That would be pretty cool, and the interface would pose a very interesting predicament. I would guess the home scren would be just your average awesome watch, with scrolling 1 screen to either side, allowing you to run very simple apps, custom made for this device. Ok, I am excited now!

Posted by Charles Starrett on August 22, 2010 at 10:41 PM (CDT)

Reply @hmmmmm, i would SO get that instead of a touch

Posted by Charles Starrett on August 27, 2010 at 12:35 PM (CDT)