100MilCounter for Mac released | iLounge News

100MilCounter for Mac released

“So you want to know the right time to buy that iTunes song. Well, 100MilCounter is a simple menu-bar application that runs in the background (no Dock icon, no main menu). It queries the Apple website (every 150 seconds) for the latest iTunes download count and displays that number up in your menu bar. Why? Because Apple is giving stuff away to people who download a song at the right time - Is that cool or what? (and no, I’m not an Apple employee…)”

« Apple: Sony’s misleading you on song capacity

iPod mini worldwide July 24, iTunes EU hits 1.5m »

Comments

gosh this sucks,
This doesn’t work for Windows, oh well

Posted by adamh on July 7, 2004 at 8:42 AM (PDT)

yeah, why no windows version?

Posted by todd2fs4u on July 7, 2004 at 9:23 AM (PDT)

It’d be neat to have one that calculates the current average “Sale Velocity” and gives you an estimated real-time count (i.e. every second or two), and updates itself to the *real* value every 5 minutes.  :-D :-D

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on July 7, 2004 at 10:23 AM (PDT)

he stole my idea

[url=http://www.jesselperry.com/itunes]http://www.jesselperry.com/itunes[/url]

Posted by jperry on July 7, 2004 at 2:21 PM (PDT)

Not at all - in fact had I seen your app I probably wouldn’t have bothered with mine, yours has more features than mine does!  It was just a nice way for me to get started with Cocoa programming.  Anyway, kudos to you jperry on a nicely polished app!

Posted by eklektion.org on July 7, 2004 at 2:38 PM (PDT)

P.S.  Sorry, adamh, I don’t do Windows wink

Posted by eklektion.org on July 7, 2004 at 2:39 PM (PDT)

Of course, it would be impratcatical to calculate the “sales velocity” because obviously, more people are goign to buy songs at each 100,000 song demarcation

Posted by Sraphim on July 7, 2004 at 2:44 PM (PDT)

well i didn’t think you “stole” my idea, because there’s like 20 other programs out there that do this exact thing.  but congrats on programing it the real way!  i cheated and used realbasic wink

Posted by jperry on July 7, 2004 at 4:33 PM (PDT)

Heh - yeah, I should learn to do research before writing code.  And for the record, code is code so I don’t think realbasic is cheating!  BTW, I linked to your site from mine—as my Dad always says, it’s better to be talked about than not talked about!  smile

Posted by eklektion.org on July 7, 2004 at 4:59 PM (PDT)

I was in the middle of developing a windows alternative to a program like this when it appeared that they removed the total songs downloaded number. Either that or it just went down for a second. If it comes back up I should have a windows program ready for beta testing by tomorrow! :D

Posted by mookie in Oklahoma on July 8, 2004 at 12:17 AM (PDT)

Nevermind, it came back… on with development!

Posted by mookie in Oklahoma on July 8, 2004 at 12:17 AM (PDT)

Nice one mookie!

Posted by eklektion.org on July 8, 2004 at 12:54 AM (PDT)

No one cares about you Windows users. The iPod is an Apple product. Join the revolution.

Posted by Windows Suck on July 8, 2004 at 3:40 AM (PDT)

Man, you Apple users are so militant. Why can’t you just play nice huh?

Posted by WTF on July 8, 2004 at 5:01 AM (PDT)

That’s probably not the best way to convert people to the Mac platform. I sure hope you’re not a Jehovah’s Witness.

eklektion.org and jperry: great programs, I was using one of Konfabultor’s widgets, but I prefer the menubar.

jperry: How soon does the program warn you that the 100k is approaching?

Posted by hellodoggie on July 8, 2004 at 5:40 AM (PDT)

I think you’ve got it backwards. Most iPod owners are Windows users.

Posted by KMc on July 8, 2004 at 7:28 AM (PDT)

Ok, beta of my windows program iCountdown is out.

Posted by mookie in Oklahoma on July 8, 2004 at 7:41 AM (PDT)

i dont know if the ipodlounge guy is gonna post it on here, but i just made a windows counterpart

[url=http://www.jesselperry.com/itunes]http://www.jesselperry.com/itunes[/url]

hellodoggie: whatever you have the refresh rate set for.

Posted by jperry on July 8, 2004 at 4:31 PM (PDT)

Hey Mr. Suck,

If it weren’t for Windows users the iPod would still be a footnote.

In fact, if Jobs hadn’t had the good sense to develop a Windows compatible device, and a Windows interface when he did then other MP3 players would have already made the iPod an answer to a trivia question.

I say this as an iPod owner and a Windows user.

Posted by rdlink on July 11, 2004 at 7:39 AM (PDT)

Yawn.  Windows, mac, windows, mac, what an original argument. Not.  Move on.

Posted by Blarg on July 11, 2004 at 12:06 PM (PDT)