19-pin port ‘confirmed’ as iPhone 5 case renderings leak | iLounge News

19-pin port ‘confirmed’ as iPhone 5 case renderings leak

A new report has stated that Apple’s smaller, redesigned dock connector has been confirmed, while a separate report has appeared with claimed next-generation iPhone drawings and case renderings. TechCrunch reports that it has independently verified that Apple is working on adding a 19-pin dock connector port to the next iPhone, a fact that it cross-checked with three independent manufacturers. In addition, Mobile Fun has posted a set of images that it claims represent the next-gen iPhone—which is listed as 58.87 mm wide, 123.83 mm tall, and 7.60 mm thick—as well as renderings of what appears to be a silicone case for the device. Notably, all the images show the headphone port as appearing on the bottom of the device, lending further credence to the notion that Apple will be changing the position of that port for the first time since the original iPhone’s debut.

« Satechi ships Portable Energy Station for iPhone, iPad, iPod

Tumblr debuts new, rebuilt iOS app »

Comments

Given that Apple recently changed the MagSafe port on the new Macbook Pro, I think it’s pretty plausible. For people who have lots of dock-enabled accessories, it’s going to cause some problems when they upgrade to the new iPhone, iPod Touch, or whatever. I hope Apple or accessory makers will create some sort of adapter so all of those existing dock-enabled devices aren’t rendered completely useless.

Posted by cxc273 on June 21, 2012 at 7:12 AM (PDT)

.3 vs. .37 inches thick.  That is super model skinny

Posted by Scooter on June 21, 2012 at 8:46 AM (PDT)

this is going to suck because i have lots of music/speaker docks that use the 30 pin connector! like a $400 Sony’s mini muteki!

not happy if this goes ahead

Posted by stefan on June 21, 2012 at 7:28 PM (PDT)

So say Apple changes the dock connector.  You’re not being forced to upgrade to a new phone.  Your current iphone and all accessories will continue working as is.

Things get upgraded all the time.  Deal with it.

Posted by tetronic on June 21, 2012 at 11:32 PM (PDT)

I have no issue with them abandoning the old dock connector in the abstract. If/when I get a new iDevice I’ll have to buy a new charger for the car and some cables for around the house, not the end of the world. Learned a long time ago that anything more specific than a 1/8” auxiliary jack was a waste of money on anything.

I do, however, take issue with them not going with a previously existing standard connector given that the only technical reason for what they’ve done is to continue with their accessory licensing fees and/or limiting output choices via DRM chips embedded in the dock. There is absolutely nothing I can think of that people do with i-Devices that couldn’t have been handled by a micro-USB dock. High def video and audio? Check. Data transfer? Check. Photo display and connection? Check.

Making me change all my chargers/cables for the sake of progress and simplifying my electronics ecosystem = good. Making me change all my chargers/cables for the sake of no progress, complicating my electronics ecosystem further, and benefiting no one but Apple’s stock holders = bad.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on June 22, 2012 at 8:44 AM (PDT)

I agree with Code Monkey, but also take issue with the possible relocation of the headphone jack. Many accessories are larger than the dock connector as is. Having them plugged in to the dock while attempting to utilize your headphones could prove to be difficult… as it was with the first generation iPod Touch. I like to use my headphones not only for music and videos, but to snap photos as well. I guess we’ll see soon.

Posted by Cereal in Japan on June 22, 2012 at 10:31 AM (PDT)

I too thought Apple and others were standardizing on a new USB cable (charger cable or whatever).  What happened to that?  I don’t care (like others) that they changed it, just that nobody seems to want to take charge and end this cable nightmare that tech has created in our cars and homes and offices…

Posted by sb on June 22, 2012 at 10:49 AM (PDT)

A new dock connector is perfectly expectable, if all your accessories are under £30 each, but what happens if your Bang and Olufsen costs around £900.  This isn’t very replaceable.  I would need so sort of adapter, of course, this is assuming the new firmware wouldn’t brake it, in the instance.

Posted by Simon on June 23, 2012 at 6:52 AM (PDT)

I will be shocked if Apple does not 1) supply an adapter with the first iteration of the new iPhone, or 2) at the very least have an adapter for sale on launch. If they are wanting to earn some good karma, then they will opt to provide the adapter at no charge in the iPhone package. I hope they see that as the proper way to do this.

But, in the bigger picture, I full agree with Code Monkey and others. I think it is time to adopt an industry standard. I understand that there is revenue to be made in locking down and licensing. But there is also a point where things get a little out of hand. I do not feel the pain so much since I have almost all iDevices (save one Pantech phone for my 11 year old) and can get by with the Apple solution in cables/connectors. But it would be nice if we could see one connector to rule them all…

Posted by Mitch Hale on June 23, 2012 at 1:51 PM (PDT)

Standardization of ports is a nice idea, but not great in some perspectives.  Take for example that right now, a made for iPhone accessory may have a custom fit for the iPhone to connect.  If you put a micro usb connection, that means stability of docking the iphone would be an issue without additional support.  Also that would still mean multiple accessories for different products, like Android vs iPhone.  Or some items will dock and some won’t.  Which brings us back to where we are.

The only way standardization would work is if it is also dictated physically where the port is and the size of the phone.  And I don’t want that.

Posted by Big Money Tony on June 23, 2012 at 3:28 PM (PDT)

@10: And somehow most of the world is handling standardization of ports just fine.

Please, save the apologies for bolstering AAPL on my dime for someone stupid enough to believe it.

Of course you’d still have to have an accessory that supported the i-Device line regardless of port used, but that’s a matter of reading comprehension, NOT even a bad excuse for what Apple is doing.

As for your “need support” straw grasp, geeze, you’re gong to need support with the above new dock, so try again.

I’ve managed to somehow survive in a household where my phone, my wife’s phone, and the Kindles all have the same port and the only down side? Oh yeah, there isn’t one.

Don’t pee down my back and tell me it’s raining. The world would be perfectly fine if a Galaxy and an iPhone could hook up to the same speakers, the only thing affected by that is AAPL.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on June 24, 2012 at 4:59 AM (PDT)

What happened to this?

“After all these years of dealing with different chargers and various connections between phones and other devices, some good news is in store. Soon, all mobile phones could use the same type of charger. In June 2009, 14 of the most prominent mobile phone manufacturers agreed to use a single standard. Although the agreement was made, there’s still a lot of background work to be done before consumers enjoy the full benefits of this agreement. Recently, the European Commission sent out details for the standard in preparation for the switch.

The technical specifications for the connection are based on the microUSB connector that many mobile phone manufacturers are already using.  You’ll find many of your favorite phone brands among the list of manufacturers that have agreed to adopt the standard, including Samsung, Apple, Nokia, and Research in Motion….”

Posted by sb on June 24, 2012 at 12:26 PM (PDT)