$195 Gucci iPod Case | iLounge News

$195 Gucci iPod Case

“International fashion house Gucci Group has pounced on the market opportunity inherent for third parties in the success of Apple Computer’s IPod music player—introducing its own designer IPod carrying case.

Available online through Gucci’s U.S. store, the iPod case is available in multiple colors and costs almost as much as an IPod—$195. The case is available in this season’s Gucci colors—beige/ebony GG plus with dark brown leather trim, green/red/green web carrying handle, and silver hardware.”

« More than 200 accessories for iPod

Enter the new Book Giveaway »

Comments

maybe if it took all the good features of every case and did not have any bad ones, looked cool, and about 165 bucks cheaper i would consider passing on my speck flip stnad and case….but not now!!!

Posted by rivlinm on April 20, 2004 at 4:04 PM (PDT)

I am definitely not a Gucci girl.  I am still waiting for Coach to come up with a new iPod case (they used to have one, but it was for older generations).  I hope this is a trend with designers though.  I feel like Kate Spade would make really nice looking ones.

Posted by zan on April 20, 2004 at 4:26 PM (PDT)

I’ll admit it, I’ve forked over $ for designer bags…but for a designer iPod case? I just spent a ton of $ buying 2 iPod Minis + accesories and I’m not about to blow another $200 for a case unless if it’s got magical powers like making my iPod bullet-proof, fire-proof, and water-proof! I recently bought 3 iSkin Mini cases and I can’t wait to get them…@ least they’ll protect more then the Gucci cases!

Posted by JeNiCiNe in San Francisco, CA on April 20, 2004 at 7:06 PM (PDT)

bargin….

Posted by illpod on April 20, 2004 at 8:44 PM (PDT)

Wheres the exoskin with gucci print?

Posted by Joey on April 20, 2004 at 9:07 PM (PDT)

Don’t quite understand the attitude here. Gucci makes *very* nice stuff. It’s expensive, of course, but usually worth it. The look is unique, but indisputably stylish, whether you happen to like it or not. I do agree that Kate Spade should take on the iPod; I love nearly everything she does. (And since I’m a guy, I would especially like to see a Jack Spade iPod case.)

Posted by elo on April 20, 2004 at 9:41 PM (PDT)

It’s Gucci, and everyone who is familiar with Gucci knows that everything they make is overpriced.  These products are designed from the beginning with the idea in mind that they’ll be marketed to people with more money than sense.  They think they’re getting something so much greater than they are, simply because of the brand name.  Except for the cheapest items of the cheap, they don’t realize that it’s all leather, and it’s all made from the same cows, and sewn by the same countries.  Gucci just wants a larger profit margin and knows there are people dumb enough to spend the cash.  It’s all about marketing.

The nicest and longest lasting leather products I’ve ever purchased were some of the most inexpensive I’ve ever purchased.

I think the Gucci is ugly, myself (I can think of cases much nicer for women than this, and much less expensive), but then again, I ain’t a chick and this is clearly marketed to women.

Posted by Z on April 20, 2004 at 11:11 PM (PDT)

Gosh, are all iPod owners really this self righteous and geeky?  Man, some you pay more for ear phones just to say your a true enthusiast.  Quit the OMG I cant believe Gucci this Gucci that.  We are all guilty.  If we bought iPod mini, it was more for its looks/style than anything related to practicality.  And dont deny that one…

Posted by xDigitalgroove in Everywhere on April 21, 2004 at 2:01 AM (PDT)

So when do I get my Burberry case????

Posted by Ipodgirl on April 21, 2004 at 3:19 AM (PDT)

Ahaha Ipodgirl now that’s what I’m talking about :D :D

Posted by FantasieSign on April 21, 2004 at 8:14 AM (PDT)

Hmm… Is someone “waisting” their money if they buy this, or are they wasting their money?  Let me think about that for a minute…

Posted by Obadiah on April 21, 2004 at 8:25 AM (PDT)

I’m not a Gucci girl, either. But I would hop at the chance for a Kate Spade iPod case at $200, or a Heatherette one at the same price. I’m not holier than-thou when it comes to electronics, but handbags are another story. smile

Posted by hellokittyholly on April 21, 2004 at 8:30 AM (PDT)

Digitalgroove-since this not only isnt a mini case, and most people on this site dont have a mini, stop trying to justify $195 worth of leather with G’s on it.

Posted by MetalMike on April 21, 2004 at 12:33 PM (PDT)

This isn’t the first “designer ipod case”
As I remeber a while back, Colette (shop in france) sold exclusively commissioned designer cases from companies such as dior and others.
They were actually a lot nicer then this offering.

Posted by taz on April 21, 2004 at 1:04 PM (PDT)

thats a nice gift for my gf thou

Posted by ewok in oklahoma on April 21, 2004 at 2:44 PM (PDT)

Some people buy the ipod just for the name and because it is stylish so gucci are being pretty clever here cuz they know its people like that who buy their products.

and yeah i bet it doesnt even protect the ipod!  reminds me of my girlfriends gucci watch she HAD to have, cost $1000 and whenever i ask her the time she gets it wrong cuz the thing has no numbers on it and is difficult to tell the time on!

Posted by bryan on April 22, 2004 at 3:15 AM (PDT)

“Gosh, are all iPod owners really this self righteous and geeky? Man, some you pay more for ear phones just to say your a true enthusiast. Quit the OMG I cant believe Gucci this Gucci that. We are all guilty. If we bought iPod mini, it was more for its looks/style than anything related to practicality. And dont deny that one…”

You have GOT to be kidding me!  People do pay that much and more for headphones, but there’s a BIG difference between a set of great headphones or a great electronic item, and a slice of cow!  Gimme a break!

Looks and quality play a part in a products value, but value is mostly determined according to what you’re getting for your money, how much effort went into making the item, how it will serve you, and whether or not you can find the same quality for less money.

Keeping this in mind, comparing this case to a set of headphones or an Ipod is hardly a good analogy.  You address practicality - well, there’s a practical reason inherent in purchasing a better pair of headphones (which most people do because they want better sound, not just to label themselves enthusiasts), but little practicality is found in spending $200 on a leather case.  The Ipod Mini may be priced a bit higher than it should be, but even so, there is much greater inherent value there, than in this Gucci case.  Also, in addressing one of the value factors I mentioned above, consider this:  what takes more effort - manufacturing a great set of headphones/Ipod, or sewing together some hide?........

Posted by Z on April 22, 2004 at 6:50 AM (PDT)

...continued….

The issue in determining overall value here was based on all the value factors I mentioned, not just image.  Of course people would buy an Ipod Mini in part because it looks good - but aesthetics almost always play a factor in peoples’ purchase decisions with just about anything (even when buying something as small as a toothbrush) - and consider how much effort companies put into developing the aesthetics of their packaging alone.  But just because someone makes a decision in part to buy an Ipod Mini because of its looks, doesn’t mean it justifies the value of this Gucci case.  And you’re mistaken in saying that they wouldn’t buy an Ipod Mini for any practical reason.  They may want to buy it because it’s smaller and lighter, which is practical.  And remember, they’re also going to load their music onto it and listen to it, too, not just wear it around like a bracelet.  Isn’t that practical?  But tell me what’s practical about spending $200 on some hide, when you can buy cases just as nice for $50 or less - and not geeky looking crap, but nice cases.

Granted, despite the things I’ve pointed out, some people will buy anything just because of the name, which to me, is stupid and foolish.  But by default, buying an Ipod or a great set of headphones is not a foolish investment, so I would cut anybody slack there.  Spending this much money on ANY case, is.

But not everyone is guilty, by the way.  Some of us like to shop wisely.  $200 on a leather Ipod case is hardly wise shopping considering all the above factors.

But if someone wants to waste their money, I won’t stand in their way.

Posted by Z on April 22, 2004 at 6:50 AM (PDT)

In response to Z’s comment on April 22 at 8:50am:

COME ON!  YOU are the one that I hope is kidding.  You just spent your precious time writing this tirade about how wrong that other guy was for pointing out the obvious.  Your argument that there is no correlation between buying an expensive case and buying an expensive iPod does not hold water.  If it did, why don’t you go buy the Digital Innovations Neuros for the same money but it’s got 20 GB instead of 4 GB??  It’s a cool machine…but it’s not APPLE and it’s not AS PRETTY. http://www.neurosaudio.com/

In the end it does the same thing..plays music.  Now we all know that apple products are better products in terms of how long they last, usability, prominent features, etc.  I have been an avid collector of Gucci products for years and the brand does live up to it’s reputation.  It does last longer and is made better than the plastic crap that you can buy out there.  Saying that “some of us shop wisely” and “spending this much money on ANY case, is [a foolish investment]” is nothing less than insulting and ignorant.  Wanting to have nice things that are made well, look good, and are fashionable is a right in this country that most of us utilize…including the act of buying the smaller, sleeker, prettier, colorful iPod mini (which I did)....which holds 9,000 less songs that it’s most superior apple counterpart and only costs about $50 less and has ALOT less features and is supported by ALOT less accessories.  You want to talk about practicality?  You say it’s smaller and lighter and that’s true, but we have a problem in this country with smaller and lighter because if the original iPod is too big and heavy for one to carry around that you absolutely MUST BUY the mini in order to lessen the stress on yourself, then we’ve gotten a hell of a lot lazier than I had originally thought….call a duck a duck and…the iPod itself and even moreso the iPod mini are also a matter of buying a product for the name (apple) and quality that it is known for…much like gucci.

Posted by adkel on May 6, 2004 at 7:35 AM (PDT)

I prefer the Christian Dior one myself, or actually, the Pucci one would be my first choice.

Posted by LHKim on June 8, 2004 at 3:49 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3 >