1G and 2G iPods: The End of an Era | iLounge News

1G and 2G iPods: The End of an Era

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Friday, September 24, 2004
News Categories: iPod

Gregory Ng of AppleMatters writes: “A generation is dying and there’s nothing I can do about it. There comes a time when one must face the inevitable: the passing on of someone near and dear to their heart. A generation that set the standard for all that would follow. A generation that changed the world. A generation that is slowly dying off. I’m talking of course about the 1st and 2nd generation iPods. ...”

« DVBase Ltd. metal stand for $50

Swarovski crystals put the bling on iPod mini »

Comments

well i have a 2gen 5gig and it still works, except the menu button is a a little unresponsive.  everyone around me has the new ones, but i like mine, since i had it before anyone else, and who cares that its a little outdated, the battery life is still better than a 3gen, at least for me

Posted by me on September 24, 2004 at 10:00 AM (PDT)

Dude… like… get over it. They still work fine, and they’re still better than anything else out there except the newer ipods.

Posted by JC on September 24, 2004 at 10:38 AM (PDT)

There’s life in the 1st and 2nd gen iPods yet. Take a look at the OWC battery replacements for 1st and 2nd gens which were featured here on the Lounge a short while ago. Up to 70% extra capacity over Apple’s original battery!!

Posted by Dave! on September 24, 2004 at 10:38 AM (PDT)

My 1G 10 GB iPod still works like new.  Granted, my music collection is much larger than that, but I don’t want to carry all my music with me.

Posted by roehlstation on September 24, 2004 at 11:35 AM (PDT)

My faithful old 1G 5gb is still going strong with upto 8 hrs battery life - I do ensure that I never leave the 1G and the 4G alone in the same room just in case….:o)

Posted by MadPict in UK on September 24, 2004 at 11:55 AM (PDT)

My Gen 1 iPod id still going strong! And should the day come that the battery finally dies, the I would definately spend the $29 bucks on a new battery. Granted, the new models look great and have a load of features, but realistically why throw out the baby with the bathwater?

Posted by me2 on September 24, 2004 at 12:19 PM (PDT)

I’ve got a 2G 20gig that still works like a champ. I bought it 2 years ago this month.

Posted by chimpee on September 24, 2004 at 12:22 PM (PDT)

after all isnt retro cool
and we’re just all rockin the throwback ipods

Posted by big joe on September 24, 2004 at 1:46 PM (PDT)

My 2nd Gen 20GB was getting flakey and pulled out the almost expired compusa TAP and walked out with a new 40 gb 4th gen and and itrip. cool

Posted by Foober on September 24, 2004 at 1:50 PM (PDT)

My 1G is my party ipod - I take it places and hook it directly in with 1/8” to RCA’s - last Saturday, it ran for 7 hours and two bars of juice were left when party ended at 3 AM so no troubles here - looks like mine is good for another 100,000 miles grin

Posted by jbelkin on September 24, 2004 at 8:44 PM (PDT)

How does one get their iPod to get flakey? wink
I’m dieing to replace my 2nd Gen 10G with a new 20 or 40G 4th Gen. My TAP is about to expire.

Posted by Hmmm on September 25, 2004 at 9:07 AM (PDT)

I still see lots of 1/2G ipods around town.

Posted by fezzy on September 25, 2004 at 10:36 AM (PDT)

This is yet another example of someone junking something prematurely “just because” it has reached a certain age.  Of course 1G iPods are still going strong, especially if you have replaced the battery (like I have).  These are workhorse iPods.  I’ll bet when the day comes that the hard drives die that there will be replacements offered by 3rd party companies for them, too….

The Music Discographies at bjbear71.com

Posted by bjbear71 on September 25, 2004 at 11:50 AM (PDT)

My daughter wants a gen 4 badly, but refuses to part with her gen 1…and frankly she loves gloating about the fact her battery lasts longer than my gen 3.

Posted by kgirl on September 25, 2004 at 1:28 PM (PDT)

if u use the abtteyr replacment program from apple do tehy send u the “new” gen ipods?

Posted by ice 73 on September 25, 2004 at 7:56 PM (PDT)

Very nice way of expressing the Ipod cult. Besides all of that I am now aware of the crazy “battery replacement service” by Apple. They will NEVER get hold of my beautiful 3G when it dies.

Posted by Martin Heinsius on September 25, 2004 at 11:48 PM (PDT)

no, ice 73, they give you the same Gen iPod, I sold my 3G 40 to a friend (to get a 4G 40) and the battery wasn’t doing well since he drives 4Hrs a day from home to work with an iTrip it only last a few hours (I used it for almost a year with 10Hrs a day - mostly on the dock charging and playing through the line-out), anyway they replaced it (under warranty) and it was the same 3G but I think it was new because of the original “don’t steal music” wraper… though it could still be a refurbished, but he didn’t say their were any scraches.

Posted by voodoo on September 26, 2004 at 12:06 AM (PDT)

I have a 3G 10 gig ipod.  I love it and dont want to get rid of it when I get a new ipod mini. Im thinking of using it instead of a mini USB drive to hold my files from work so i can bring them home to do. its looks alot better then a mini USB drive and is only betterd by the newer ipods.

Posted by WOLF MAN on September 26, 2004 at 7:06 AM (PDT)

For those of you with 1st and 2nd Generation iPods that are starting to show their age in low battery life, Newer Technology has an Ultra-High Capacity Battery rated at 2100 mAh!  Apple’s original battery was rated at 1225 mAh, and it provided continuous playback of 10 hours.  My 2nd Gen 20 GB iPod was starting show battery wear after 2 years, so I picked up this new battery for $39 from OWC.  Installation was simple, just pop off the back cover with the tools included, and replace the battery.

The battery is advertised to provide 70% more run-time compared to the original battery.  So I charged it up and put it to the test.  The Test - Shuffle Songs ON, Sound Check and EQ OFF, Volume set at 3/4, a comfortable listening level, iPod Software version 1.4.  90% of my songs are AAC format, and the average song length is 5 minutes.

I hit play at MIDNIGHT on Friday, and let the iPod continuously run.  No track skips, no backlight, no volume adjustments.  After 309 songs, the iPod finally gave the battery warning and shut down at 11:35 PM Saturday night.  That’s right….23 HOURS AND 35 MINUTES LATER, the iPod ran out of power!  Instead of buying a new iPod, this is the best $39 I ever spent!  Or, if I decide to sell it on eBay, this will stand out above the rest!

OWC sells the battery for $39, with tools included:

I heard about the battery from xlr8yourmac.com, and others have reported 21+ hours of playback time.

Posted by Hillman on September 26, 2004 at 10:17 PM (PDT)

“I used it for almost a year with 10Hrs a day - mostly on the dock charging and playing through the line-out)”

dude do you realise how much battery the iTrip uses? doh!

Posted by Boaguy on September 27, 2004 at 7:09 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >