1G and 2G iPods: The End of an Era | iLounge News

1G and 2G iPods: The End of an Era

Gregory Ng of AppleMatters writes: “A generation is dying and there’s nothing I can do about it. There comes a time when one must face the inevitable: the passing on of someone near and dear to their heart. A generation that set the standard for all that would follow. A generation that changed the world. A generation that is slowly dying off. I’m talking of course about the 1st and 2nd generation iPods. ...”

« DVBase Ltd. metal stand for $50

Swarovski crystals put the bling on iPod mini »

Comments

This article and discussion graciously overlook the signficant advantages of the 1 and 2G’s over more recent vintages.

*less confining firmware is probably better than a few games

*no pointless dock to lug around, no adaptor needed, and no open dock connector for dust and foreign objects to infiltrate (I have never had any problem laying the iPod, with or without case, on a desk while charging or talking to computers.)

*the clean design is unmatched and remains the most visually appealing (those four buttons with orange backlight are clunky, uinituitive and kinda ugly, and the metal-finish click wheel isn’t any cooler to use than the original arrangements)

* The old-style white plastic hold switch is much easier to use and to visually assess than the newer metal knob

Until there’s a new iPod that has legitimately novel functionality like built-in AirPort streaming, a color screen and movies, I can’t see how anything but naked gadget envy or a real need for 40 gigs would be behind an “upgrade” to the newer models, and I suggest that any true performance gadget envy should really be for the time-tested, badass 1s and 2s.

Posted by sn on September 27, 2004 at 2:58 PM (CDT)

When my Archos got too old and cramped I popped it open and replaced the 6GB hard drive with 80GB. I also changed the backlight to blue.

It’s a pity there aren’t more after-market DIY mods for iPods.

Posted by upgrades on September 27, 2004 at 3:20 PM (CDT)

What about the 3G pod???

That has been canned too.

No MEANINGFUL firmware updates for 7 months.  The 3G was DOOMED as soon as the Mini came out.

F*****G Apple will NEVER get MY money again.

Posted by Tony on September 27, 2004 at 5:45 PM (CDT)

Hey Tony, your right, Apple will never get your money again… so go to HP, they have a great little player too!

:o)

Posted by apple juice on September 28, 2004 at 8:39 AM (CDT)

:o)

Posted by apple juice on September 28, 2004 at 8:43 AM (CDT)

wierd glitch on the website posted my comment twice

Posted by apple juice on September 28, 2004 at 8:44 AM (CDT)

I love that 3G owners are going through that same sense of abandonment that the 1G and 2G owners like myself went through when the 3G’s came out.

Funny enough, I find myself holding onto my 2g 20GB now more than ever.  There’s something about the buttons around the scrollwheel that make it look so much more appealing than the 3G’s scroll with buttons across the top and the 4G’s clickwheel.  It looks like a mini-stereo speaker!  Now, if I can upgrade the battery and get up to 20+ hours from a single charge, there will be no reason to upgrade!

Posted by Jamvan on September 28, 2004 at 8:46 AM (CDT)

Apple is heavily investing on what car manufacturers did: Planned obsolesence.  But the writer is wrong 1G and 2G ipods will be sought after classics one day.

::I hug my 2G::

Posted by AGD on September 28, 2004 at 1:36 PM (CDT)

Hey can you add one of the newer bigger hard drives to an older iPod? Has anyone tried? Is there a service that offers this? Is it much more difficult than changing the battery? I see you can buy the 1.8” drives through online stores now. That would be sweet.

Posted by new hard disk on September 28, 2004 at 5:20 PM (CDT)

My old skool 10GB 2nd gen is still going strong too..

Although I have a slight break in the weak headphone jack…
My battery life isn’t what it used to be (6-8 hours) but that’s still good enough for the time being.

re: newharddisk: I’m guessing that a larger harddrive will cost you more than just buying a new iPod, seeing as how the iPod Mini’s drive retailed for around $500,- whilst the mini cost only $250,-

Posted by aptmunich on September 29, 2004 at 2:48 AM (CDT)

“I’m guessing that a larger harddrive will cost you more than just buying a new iPod”

I don’t know about that. The Mini’s drives are expensive, but the regular iPod’s 1.8” drives are now for sale at retail, and pretty cheap:

IBM Hitachi Travelstar C4K40 20GB Ultra ATA-5 1.8in. 4200RPM Mobile Hard Drive
$98

IBM Hitachi Travelstar C4K40 40GB Ultra ATA-5 1.8in. 4200RPM Mobile Hard Drive
$130

Upgrading an old 1G or 2G iPod to 40GB for $130 sounds like a good deal to me.

Posted by upgrades on September 29, 2004 at 3:21 PM (CDT)

This sounds AWESOME! How do I upgrade my 5 gB senior citizen iPod to 40 gB?!?!?!?!? I have already had the battery replaced and that over doubled the play time!

Posted by WOW WOW!!!!! on September 30, 2004 at 9:03 AM (CDT)

Still kicking it old school with my 1st Gen 10GB after a battery change a few months ago.

Posted by NetworkShadow on September 30, 2004 at 11:28 AM (CDT)

I read this and thought that’s me!!  I have a 1st gen iPod and she’s still kicking and I can’t bear to give her up.  She’s playing as I sit here and type.  I keep saying that I will buy a new one, but I never seem to.  I too remember how I broke a chip off around the headphone jack…. sigh…..

PS- I have never changed the battery and still runs pretty well.  I’m really impressed because my iPod rarely leaves my side.

Posted by Reggae Tiger on October 1, 2004 at 6:51 AM (CDT)

I still have a Gen1 5gb iPod (to go with my Gen3 40gb) and it works like a dream.

I’ll keep them both forever.

Posted by basic channel on October 1, 2004 at 8:24 AM (CDT)

I have taken the plunge and ordered a 40GB IBM Hitachi. I have an old 1G 10GB that I no longer use (can’t seem to squeeze the collection in under 35 GB these days…) and I will attempt to upgrade the hard disk. If this works I know a few friends with older iPods who will also be getting their hard disks upgraded!

Posted by PLUNGING on October 1, 2004 at 3:51 PM (CDT)

hey tomshardware.com shows the 1st gen ipod are pcmcia type hard drives, I doubt the hitachi/ibm 40gb disk are pcmcia interface.
maybe you can take out the 10gb disk from the pcmcia card and put the new hitachi/ibm 40gb inside it.
test, experiment, take risks!

Posted by nononsense on October 16, 2004 at 7:02 AM (CDT)

yeash, now minis have as much storage the first full! pretty cool imo

Posted by tumblingwall in u.s. on March 13, 2005 at 3:32 PM (CST)

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2