2004 Bluetooth Coming to iPod | iLounge News

2004 Bluetooth Coming to iPod

“Infinite Range, a Fremont-based company, has begun marketing circuit boards that iPod accessory maker XtremeMac plans to build into a new product in 2004. The product uses Bluetooth to beam music from Apple’s iPod to nearby audio systems without the fuzzy interference that comes with FM tuners.”

« iPod prices jump in Canada

Online Song Sales Help Music Purchases »

Comments

I’m gonna bet that the first (not the last) bluetooth product to come out for the iPod will be strictly for home and car use only to beam to near-by audio equipment. The reason i say that is because I don’t think the makers of bluetooth have found a way to make a reasonably effecient bluetooth device, and they will first release a product that needs to be plugged directly into a power source like a poweroutlet or a cigerette lighter.

XtremeMac looks like they specialize in car-audio connectivity so maybe they will intergrate bluetooth into a cigerette lighter adapter for the iPod. Kind of like how Belkin has a powered amplifier built in, or how Monster has an FM transmitter directly inline with the power source.

Personally, I LIKE the direction of this develpment. It might not be the best portable solution now…but at least they’re giving it a try. What does everybody else think?

Posted by ILoveMusic on December 18, 2003 at 9:54 AM (CST)

sounds good to me too - definitely good potential if it’s done right.

Posted by me on December 18, 2003 at 10:08 AM (CST)

when xtrememac came out wiht thier new case a couple of weeks ago they clearly said that it was built to accomodate thier forthcoming bluetooth peripherals for ipod.

Posted by mhz on December 18, 2003 at 10:27 AM (CST)

oh boy oh boy another product xtrememe will never ship

Posted by al-f on December 18, 2003 at 8:31 PM (CST)

Wow! You mean I can spend hundreds of dollars on a cheap plastic dongle that’ll make my music sound like the singer’s being electrocuted in the toilet? No thanks.

Posted by ajstribling on December 19, 2003 at 10:14 AM (CST)

Wow…the thing hasn’t even been released or formally announced yet and you’re already bashing it. Can you at LEAST give it a chance?

Why bad mouth a product that could potentially pave the way for better things for our iPods? This product could have the potential to be a better wireless solution than anything out there. Better than RF, better than FM or IR. Geez…at least hold the door open for this development.

Ignorance doesn’t help us achieve something most of us want.

Posted by ILoveMusic on December 20, 2003 at 5:14 AM (CST)

WOW.. lets DO bash a company that consistantly announces products that never ship no where near the promised date.. try calling extreme some time you can even get ahold of cutomer service. nevermind geting your order   extremecrap should be the name of the company

Posted by al-f on December 20, 2003 at 10:39 AM (CST)

i have been a faithful xtrememac customer since they had the “first” good case for the very “first” ipod..i bought it at macworld SF. i bought the rest of my stuff online.. and have not gotten my order or waited 1 to 2 months every time with no help or concern, all i wanted was my money back and they wouldnt even do that!  I hate xtrememac. i think they are an un-honest and “fly by night” company!!!!!!!!!
quote for the day… did you get your new xtremity case by xmas???  NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! promised ship date was 12-15… I DID NOT GET MINE as usual!!!!  i am done with thier game!!

Posted by deeznuts on December 20, 2003 at 5:49 PM (CST)

Fist like to comment on:
“I don’t think the makers of bluetooth have found a way to make a reasonably effecient bluetooth device”

Considering there are about 10-20 phones that have bluetooth built in and a bunch of pdas and head sets, which all USE BATTERIES your statment makes no sense.

Bluetooth for the IPOD will CHANGE EVERY THING. Yes CHANGE EVERY THING.
Think about it. Your on the sub way, you turn on you ipod, scan for other ipods near you, select songs from those ipods and listen to them. Ipod keeps track of those songs. Plug you ipod into your pc/mac. Itunes asks if you want to buy any of the songs that your from other ipoders.(maybe this could be hacked to just download the songs right from other ipods RIAA wont like that)

Also you could get a bluetooth head set so you dont need the head phone cords. and you could also have a bluetooth remote. so when your Ipod is in your back pack or on your desk you can change tracks while listening with your bluetooth head set.

Have bluetooth cell phone? Set it up so when listing to your ipod, you will hear the phone ring! maybe even say who the caller is.

You could also sync your IPOD to your pc over bluetooth.

Apple should include bluetooth in the next ipod. I would Kill all other mp3 players!

Posted by Pete on December 21, 2003 at 12:01 PM (CST)

Pete,

I stand by my comment and i’ll tell you why. blutooth devices are still not adequante for the type of usage we want for our iPods. Do you have a bluetooth device?

I own a bluetooth phone, and i use to own a PDA with bluetooth capabilities so i speak from experience. These devices SEEM like they run for long periods of time, days even, especially for cellphones equipped with bluetooth. But you have to remember, they run for so long because they ARE NOT continuously activated. If i activate my Sony Ericsson T68i to run bluetooth continuously, it cuts my runtime in half…maybe more. PDA’s are the same way too.

Bluetooth headsets are another great example of bluetooth’s power hungry nature. Headsets can stay in standby for 30+ hours, but once the bluetooth is activated, the battery will last for only 2-3 hours or so. And consider the sound quality too. iPod bluetooth will probably use more battery because it will have to use more processing power to compress and decompress and faithfully reproduce high quality music.

I have hope for this however because we only need a once way transfer of data. Audio only needs to flow one way, where cellphones need to send and recieve audio information. If we use bluetooth to send info to and from a remote AND audio, then battery for the iPod may suffer even more.

However, this is not my arguement. I don’t have a problem at all about runtime. My concern is the overall development of this (rumored) product. I agree with you when you say that bluetooth will change everything. I’m just as excited as you and I am glad that you can hope for better developments in the future. Some people just like to bash things now and not even let progress take its course. Whether or not Xtrememac releases this in time or releases it at all, at least someone is tinkering with this technology for our iPods.

Posted by ILoveMusic on December 21, 2003 at 2:24 PM (CST)

If the device is Bluetooth class C it should be good. A buddy of mine used to work for xtrememac and said the testing they had done to date had been pretty incredible. He doesnt work there anymore but said it was supoosed to be out soemtime in 2004. I cant wait. He said the first test with the ipod went over 50 yards with clear digital sound! how bout that!

Posted by dizmall on December 26, 2003 at 2:51 PM (CST)