2009 iPod poll ends, iTunes LP poll begins | iLounge News

2009 iPod poll ends, iTunes LP poll begins

With over 3,300 votes from iLounge readers, our latest poll—“What’s your reaction to the new 2009 iPods?” has ended. Users could say the new lineup is great and they are planning to purchase at least one new model, that it is good and they are considering a purchase, that it’s okay, but not enough to make a purchase, that it is bad, and Apple needed to do more to make the new models worthwhile, that it’s really bad, and they’re disappointed, or that they have no opinion.

Overall reader opinion of the new iPods was slightly less enthusiastic than last year, with 67% of readers saying the 2009 iPod lineup is at least okay, compared to 80% for last year’s models. 35% said they think the new iPods are okay—nice upgrades, but not enough to make them buy—while 17% said they think the new lineup is good, and are at least considering a purchase. An equal amount—17%—said they think the new lineup is bad, and that Apple needed to do more to make the upgrades worthwhile, while 15% said they find the new lineup to be great, and are planning to purchase at least one, 11% said they think the 2009 iPods are really bad, and are disappointed by the announcements, and 5% said they had no opinion on the new iPods. Thanks for all your votes!

Our new poll focuses on Apple’s new iTunes LP offerings. We’d like to know whether the expanded format is enough to make you purchase more albums from the iTunes Store. Are the new features definitely enough to make you buy, or only if they expand support for the format beyond iTunes itself and over to the Apple TV, or other future large-screened devices? Or are you disinterested in the new features, and are no more likely to purchase than before, or do you buy your music from another download store, or exclusively on physical media? Or perhaps you don’t pay for music at all? Our new poll, “Will iTunes LP make you more likely to purchase albums from the iTunes Store?” lets you answer that question. As always, the iLounge Poll can be found in the left-hand column of the main iLounge.com homepage. Vote today!

« Mix: CAZE, PocketPack, OS 3.1 adoption, TomTom

iPhone developers report problems with iTunes Connect »

Comments

Give me lossless audio, or give me death!

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on September 24, 2009 at 9:14 AM (PDT)

Aye aye, Mr. Galley grin

They’re selling 200MB-400MB television shows for $1.99, well over 1GB shows in HD for $2.99, but they can’t be bothered to let us download the 250MB to 700MB that a lossless album would take for $9.99?

IF Apple could provide me DRM free ALAC in the new iTunes LP format, my physical CD purchases would just about come to a halt except for certain artists where I really do want a “collectible”, but I’m simply never going to pay good money for lossy audio except extremely rarely.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on September 24, 2009 at 9:44 AM (PDT)

Shouldn’t there be an option “No, although I buy my music online (iTunes or not) I rarely buy albums and iTunes LP ain’t gonna change that”?

Posted by Dennis on September 24, 2009 at 12:47 PM (PDT)

#3,

Good suggestion. The option has been added.

Posted by Charles Starrett on September 24, 2009 at 1:36 PM (PDT)

I started digitizing my massive cd collection back in 2001 - the era before any album art. because of this about 20% of my 200Gb of music has missing or incorrect artwork. i tried cover scout and Tune Up and both were far from 100% and actually put in some wrong artwork so i gave up on those album art finders.

my suggestion - sell the album art for any album for 99ยข separately. in fact, it could be a cash cow for the record companies, they could ramp up their design depts (hire graphic designers) and offer hundreds and even thousand itunes artwork files. not only would they make more money but it would create jobs!

Posted by digital her0 on September 24, 2009 at 3:22 PM (PDT)

Um, just because you’re too lazy to use Google or websites like albumartexchange.com, that doesn’t mean the rest of us are. I’ve got thousands of different albums/singles represented in my collection. I’ve got two things that I don’t have album art for and I guarantee there’s no way any overpriced iTunes art catalog would have them (one is a very early bootleg from a band that never hit the bigtime, the other a promotional album sold with Drakkar Noir sometime in the early 90s).

I’ll scan & clean the art myself before I’ll pay someone $0.99 for a single piece of artwork.

You’ve got a very odd sense of people’s priorities and valuation of the dollar if you think in a world where the iTunes store is already giving away the album art for free and where there are 40 “illegal” downloads for every paid download, that there’s a market for $1 cover art.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on September 24, 2009 at 4:38 PM (PDT)

The artwork you receive free from the iTunes Store really isn’t all that great.  As Code Monkey mentioned, you’re better off using AlbumArtExchange.com for high-quality artwork.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on September 24, 2009 at 6:04 PM (PDT)

Apple Lossless and then i’m in.

Posted by Steven Bates on September 24, 2009 at 10:46 PM (PDT)

Maybe none of you are particularly interested as you all seem to be fans of albumartexchange (which I had never heard of before, so thanks!)...

But I get higher res album are from http://www.allcdcovers.net.
They have back images, booklets and discs scanned etc.

Of course I don’t embed all that, it would make the files huge.

I figured with the discussion of itunes LP this was worth mentioning.

Take care

Posted by Todd on September 25, 2009 at 6:42 PM (PDT)

Higer resolution than AlbumArtExchange? What?  Dude, you MUST be working for AllCDcovers cuz their covers are mostly of very POOR quality.  Go ahead, compare ANY title between the sited. You will see that Album Art Exchange has wayyyy better artwork and many at 1000x1000.

Now, would you rather have a piece of junk at 2000x2000 (what are you going to do with an image that big?) -or- images that look EXACTLY like the CD cover that you have in your hand?  ACDC is cr*p with lots of adverstising stuck on top of it.

Posted by Jinkies on May 22, 2010 at 4:02 PM (PDT)