2.1 Doesn’t Fix Gap Between Songs | iLounge News

2.1 Doesn’t Fix Gap Between Songs

By fnarfy

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, October 16, 2003
News Categories:

A reader at iPoding reports that “despite some other nice improvements in the 2.1 firmware (especially the dynamic playlist), Apple still hasn’t been able to eliminate the gap between songs.”

« Wired: ITunes, Now for the Rest of Us

iTunes for Windows Forum Added »

Comments

my VBR songs still can’t play on my iPod. They’re so screwed up.

Posted by jm on October 16, 2003 at 2:30 PM (PDT)

Let’s look at this in stages.

The Archos, a really old, really cheap player with barely any hardware at all originally didn’t support gapless playing. But then some open-source hackers replaced the company firmware with their own really, really cool Rockbox. So adding gapless MP3s to crappy hardware is possible.
And while they were at it, they added amazingly good on-the-go playlists.

Yet Apple can’t seem to do this simple software enhancement and I know the iPod’s hardware is more advanced than the Archos!

Then I look at more modern players, like the Rio Karma. This has hardware crossfading - which is excellent for DJing and queuing and, of course, easy gapless playback. Beatmatching, fade-in and fade-out. Frequency adjustment. All the fancy tricks. Parametic Equalizer. 15 HOURS BATTERY.

The iPod doesn’t have hardware like this, even though it costs much more. What’s going on? Why is the iPod coming behind all the other players out there? GIVE ME GAPLESS MP3s ALREADY!

Posted by Karma on October 16, 2003 at 2:49 PM (PDT)

beatmatching?  i doubt it.  queuing?  yeah right.  excellent for djing?  puh-lease.

until these players at least have better scrubing, instant start and pitch control… please stop saying they can be used for djing, because they can’t!

-nuff respect due.

Posted by plastikman on October 16, 2003 at 7:56 PM (PDT)

Granted no little box of tricks is going to make someone a DJ, but when I see people in Manhattan “DJing” with iPods (many of which lack even a cue function) I have to laugh. They are below even wedding DJs.

The Karma, on the other hand, has been designed to make it easier for someone with talent to weave tunes together. Its crossfading functions are actually pretty cool, but I would stick with my mixer any day of the week!

However, if it came down to it, with a single Karma I could do some reasonable mixing. But to do the same with iPods, I’d need at least two iPods and a mixer. That’s simply not acceptable.

Posted by RichieHawtin on October 17, 2003 at 8:18 AM (PDT)

Does anyone know how to play the new game, Music Quiz?

Posted by hahaa on October 18, 2003 at 5:23 AM (PDT)

Well it plays a little part of random songs and you have to pick which song it is, it’s a trivia game for your own music.

Posted by bigdirtyfoot on October 18, 2003 at 6:55 PM (PDT)

Oh, i didnt have my earphones on when i was playing it. Lol

Posted by hahaa on October 19, 2003 at 4:56 AM (PDT)

iPod as a dj tool is another subject altogether.  I will always use my “real” rig for serious dj’ing.  However for just casual listening in many situations I want to be able to play my pod with a basic form of crossfade or at least no gaps.  Hell I can’t even do it with AIFF files. Just unacceptable this late into the game.  I can’t beieve it was not built into 2.1.  Bad Apple!

Posted by mauimundo on October 20, 2003 at 6:47 PM (PDT)

Follow up…..it appears that there is no longer a gap between songs burned in AIFF on my iPod. At Last!!  I know some of you really only care about MP3 or AAC, but as a audio nut I still like to listen to AIFF when practical.

Posted by mauimundo on October 22, 2003 at 6:46 PM (PDT)

omg my ipod is so messed up!!! I clicked the song Beverly Hills to play it, then it started scrolling through all of my songs and picked the songs I didn’t want to play!!! What is wrong with my ipod!!! HOW DO I FIX IT!!!???

Posted by Kevdog417 on July 3, 2005 at 5:52 AM (PDT)