3.0 Parental Controls open gates for explicit apps
The new Parental Controls found in iPhone OS 3.0 have opened the door for Apple to begin approving iPhone and iPod touch applications containing explicit content, including nudity. The latest version of Hottest Girls - 2200+ Topless, Sexy Babes and Nude Models by Allen Leung appears to be the first app approved for sale in App Store under the new rules. Rated 17+ for “Frequent/Intense Sexual Content or Nudity” and “Frequent/Intense Mature/Suggestive Themes,” the app sells for $2. “We uploaded nude topless pics today. This is the first app to have nudity,” developer Allen Leung told Macenstein. While the merits of such content on the App Store are debatable, the move should reduce the number of misguided rejections over explicit content, such as the South Park application, and more recently, the Nine Inch Nails: Access app—which Apple eventually approved, following a widely-publicized post from band founder Trent Reznor. To activate Parental Controls, go to the General > Restrictions menu in the iPhone’s or iPod touch’s Settings application.
Update: According to a post on the developer’s website, the app has been pulled to ease server strain. The message reads, “[t]he server usage is extremely high because of the popularity of this app. Thus, by not distributing the app, we can prevent our servers from crashing. Those who already have the app will still be able to use our app. To answer the question on everyone’s mind: Yes, the topless images will still be there when it is sold again.”
- Layout from Instagram, Periscope, The Trace + Apple Watch app updates
- Atari Fit, Launcher, Stormblades, Camera+ 6.2, GoodReader 4.1 + IMDb 5.0
- Apple pulls The Whole Pantry app amid developer scandal
- FREAK security flaws still present in popular iOS apps
- Nintendo to develop games for smartphones
- Age of Sparta, Google Calendar, Snow White + more
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, sign up now
- Apple retail stores to have very limited Apple Watch stock
- Apple quietly acquiring companies to improve cloud services?
- Apple planning to release three iPhone models this year?
- Report reveals more details on Apple’s upcoming music service
- Apple adds CNNgo channel to Apple TV
- Apple acquires database company FoundationDB
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 4
- Apple adds Tastemade, TED, Young Hollywood channels to Apple TV
- Source: Italian prosecutors wrap up Apple tax probe
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Chil Attraction Jacket for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?