Apple testing iPhone 6 with 1704 x 960 screen resolution
Apple is testing an iPhone 6 with a 1704 x 960 resolution screen, 9to5Mac reports. The new resolution will be achieved by tripling the initial iPhone “base resolution” of 568 x 320. On a 4.7” screen, the pixel density would be 416 PPI; on a 5.5” screen, the density would be roughly 356 PPI. The aspect ratio will remain 16:9 — though not quite full 16:9 HD, which would be at 1920x1080 resolution, and would allow for 1:1 pixel sharing between an iPhone and an HDTV.
Though it’s expected that most UI elements of iOS will simply appear larger than before on the new screen, it’s possible the home screen and other functions could be redesigned in some way to better utilize the screen space. It should be easy for developers to make the transition to the new resolution due to a reduced reliance on raster graphics in iOS 7 — Apple is also working on a “multi-resolution” mode and developer toolset that will make it easier to scale applications to fit on multiple iOS devices with different resolutions.
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 4 to developers, adds Apple Watch support
- Apple Pay coming to Canada in March?
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 3 to developers
- Apple ordered to turn over records in Canadian iPhone antitrust probe
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 2 to developers
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.2, fixing missing ringtones issue
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple filing reveals executive compensation plans, earnings
- Report: Apple Watch battery life expected to be about 19 hours
- Apple outlines limited HomeKit support for non-HomeKit accessories
- Report: Apple agrees to accept product inspections from Chinese government
- IK Multimedia announces iRig Mic Studio
- NimbleBit announces Apple Watch support for Letterpad
- Apple acquires music analytics firm Semetric
- Apple terminates Crimean developer agreements due to U.S. sanctions
- Apple commemorates Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- Incipio Trestle for iPhone 6 Plus
- Urban Armor Gear Folio Case for iPad Air 2
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad Air 2
- Twelve South BookBook for iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards
- Five Things to Watch for at CES 2015
- Last-Minute Holiday Gift Guide for 2014
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12