Apps of the Week: Overcast, Ingress, Endless Numbers 1.2 + more
Google Analytics (free) — Google has released a new Google Analytics app that allows users to access their web and app data from an iOS device. For those not in the know, Google Analytics is a popular service that offers website owners detailed site traffic statistics. The app offers Real Time reports, which lets users monitor recent changes.
Overcast: Podcast Player (free) — There is no shortage of thoughtfully designed podcast apps made to replace Apple’s own app, which has been through many ups and downs since it was released. The latest, and perhaps most hotly anticipated, is Marco Arment’s Overcast. The app is currently iPhone-only, available as a free download. It’s fully usable as-is, although a $5 in-app purchase unlocks a number of features that enhance the experience, such as cellular downloads, a sleep timer, and unlimited playlists. The key features that help differentiate this one from the others on the market, apart from aesthetic design, are both audio engineering tricks that get unlocked when you spend the money. Smart Speed is a really cool tool; rather than increasing the speed of the podcast and making the speakers sound like chipmunks, it’s able to detect gaps and edit out the silence, saving you time in listening. Voice Boost does just what its name says, making it easier to listen to podcasts in cars or other environments where there’s background noise, without having to pump up the volume. Both Smart Speed and Voice Boost can be used for five minutes at a time before you decide to buy.
daWindci Deluxe ($3) — Mimimi Productions has released a new version of its popular, Apple Design Award winning daWindci game with daWindci Deluxe. The upgraded game — in which players paint wind, hurricanes, and lightning on screen to guide a hot air balloon through levels — now features full Retina support and new wind drawing mechanics. All new particle effects, crisper textures, and post effect shaders have also been added to the game. Considering the original daWindci is still $4, this is the one you want.
Guardians of the Galaxy: The Universal Weapon ($5) — Marvel Entertainment’s new game Guardians of the Galaxy: The Universal Weapon hits the App Store weeks before the upcoming film. A realtime strategic fighting game, GotG offers zero in-app purchases. Players can unlock, upgrade and control 25 characters. More than 60 levels are available in Story Mode, while an additional Arena Mode lets users play as the villains, as well.
Ingress (free) — Google’s popular Ingress, which has long been played by Android users, has finally come to iOS. A free game, Ingress uses the real world as its map — players join either The Enlightened or The Resistance in a battle to capture territory and tap into the energy that exists at the heart of the game. Ingress players are all over the globe, and the game is a fun way of combining actual activity with an online sci-fi game — but some may not want Google tracking their every move.
Endless Numbers (free) — Originator’s Endless Numbers children’s learning app has updated to version 1.2. The new update brings a $10 in-app purchase that lets kids explore numbers 26-100. That follows a starter pack of in-app purchase for $5; all numbers can now be purchased for $12. While we’ve always been a big fan of Originator’s funny, clever, smart apps for kids — and Endless Numbers is no exception — $10 is a steep price to pay for another IAP. We’d recommend it for children who already love the app and can learn those numbers, but otherwise we’d probably steer clear.
Google Wallet (free) — The updated Google Wallet app — version 2.0.16011.10356 — lets users digitize gift cards, and then track balances within the app. Those gift cards can then also be redeemed in stores directly from the app. Also, the app has added the ability to request money from friends and family in the US. Sending money from Google Wallet, a debit card, or a bank account is free, while a 2.9 percent fee is added to credit card transactions.
UP by Jawbone (free) — Jawbone has updated its UP app for its UP fitness tracker to version 3.2. The updated app now features a weight management option, and a redesigned food experience for logging meals. Additionally, the app now adds a food score to rate the healthiness of a certain dish with one number.
- AG Drive, Delectable Wines, Google Maps + more
- Dropbox, Google Play Music, Microsoft Office Apps, Microsoft Outlook, NBC + more
- Apps: ESPN, Nike+ Fuel, Pinterest, Starbucks + Twitter
- Apple cracks down on gun and violence imagery in App Store screenshots
- Apple readmits marijuana-related app to App Store
- Microsoft Outlook, Timeline, Mean Girls: The Game + more
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, subscribe now
- Cook: Apple Watch ‘designed to be able to replace car keys’
- Apple again under fire as Ericsson escalates legal action
- Apple announces ‘Spring Forward’ event for March 9
- Brikk unveils opulent Apple Watch line priced up to $75,000
- Apple Maps adds new third-party data providers
- Apple ordered to pay $532.9m in iTunes patent infringement case
- Apple reportedly streamlining Genius Bar experience
- Report: Apple acquires Camel Audio
- VISA ‘tokenization’ may speed Apple Pay EU deployment
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- NewerTech NuGuard KX for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Incipio Clarion and Faraday for iPad Air 2
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?
- What can I actually share with Family Sharing in iOS 8?