$38 million ‘iPod bill’ introduced in Michigan | iLounge News

$38 million ‘iPod bill’ introduced in Michigan

As part of a government agenda unveiled by House Democrats in Michigan that introduces dramatic changes, a bill was put forward Friday that includes a proposal to provide $38 million in iPods or other MP3 players as instructional tools for every student in the state. The schools representatives were not as receptive as one would expect, however. “My members are telling me they have much more pressing things they’re worried about, like whether they’re going to be able to make payroll in May,” said Don Wotruba, spokesman for the Michigan Association of School Boards.

« Forums: iPod reliability, iTunes servers, Classified Ads, Prices

Podolock secures, protects iPod shuffle »

Comments

I am overwhelmed by the stupidity of this proposed legislation when our schools are on the verge of bankrupcy.  If we have a spare $38 million laying around I would suggest giving back to the schools what you are proposing to take away.
Shame on you for fooling around with our children’s education; a given right to every child in the state of Michigan.
We want to blame our school administrators for poor management, but I think it is horrible fiscal management in our government.
If you give my children an i-pod, I will send it back and ask you to donate the several hundred dollars to my school system in Brighton, MI.
Sincerely,
Karen Mazurek
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted by Karen Mazurek on April 6, 2007 at 7:16 PM (CDT)

Agreed.  I teach at a Michigan university and there is no place in the current fiscal situation for a proposal such as this.  Funding for the entire public school system, including higher education, has been cut year after year.  And now there is an extra $38 million?  Another example of how the politicians my be the least educated of all our citizens.

Posted by C on April 6, 2007 at 7:44 PM (CDT)

Maybe since Jobs thinks that teachers are the cause of bad education in the US, Apple can donate the iPods pre-loaded with classroom lessons.

Posted by superape on April 6, 2007 at 8:02 PM (CDT)

I am a student in michigan, and i will honestly say that most students would never use an ipod for educational purposes. Sure we might have “that educational stuff” on them, but there is no way any regular teenager would only have an ipod for school, even if that same school had those same ipods bought for us.

Posted by brendan o on April 6, 2007 at 8:52 PM (CDT)

With the complete failure of the Michigan Governer and elected officials to form a rational budget, you would think they had better things to do…. guess not.

They should all be recalled.

Posted by Paul Smith on April 6, 2007 at 9:52 PM (CDT)

Kids already have their own iPods. If I were a student in Michigan I would rather stay at my school than get something I already own and would have absolutely zero educational use for it. Unless Apple is footing the bill, Michigan is doing a disservice to its children.

Posted by Rob on April 7, 2007 at 10:43 AM (CDT)

I don’t know where iLounge gets their sources but there is nothing about this on any reputable mainstream news network, which leads me to believe this whole thing is a hoax.  With a little bit of reasoning, the whole thing doesn’t make sense.

Posted by Jeremy on April 7, 2007 at 3:32 PM (CDT)

See the Detroit Free Press (originally linked) or the Detroit News. Odd legislation is regrettably proposed all the time, often merely to attract public attention.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on April 7, 2007 at 4:13 PM (CDT)

woo! chalk up another important legislation made by House Democrats!

out of curiosity, was this decision a binding, or nonbinding one?

Posted by mike on April 7, 2007 at 5:20 PM (CDT)

What neither of the linked articles specifically addressed is how much of the $38 million dollars is coming from the state’s tax revenue budget and how much, if any, is coming from federal grants.  This appears to be something that would likely be funded through the Federal Ehancing Education Through Technology “E2T2” Grant.
If E2T2 money is involved, that money can only be used for technology purposes and not any other(much more desperately needed) educational expenses.
Any funds from that grant would certainly make this an even bigger spectacle of misguided education money. Would it be that the Legislature of Michigan has federal grant money propsed specifically for funding technology in schools and giving every student an iPod is their best answer!?!
Every child to have an iPod…No Child Left Behind?

Posted by SouthernGothic on April 8, 2007 at 1:25 PM (CDT)

Yeah, I am a student in Detroit and NOBODY ANYWHERE would use a free iPod for educational purposes. Plus, the majority of kids have them already…

Posted by Ben on April 8, 2007 at 9:00 PM (CDT)

But…but…it’s for the children!

Posted by Obadiah on April 9, 2007 at 9:02 AM (CDT)

hey….i say if the government is going to give away free ipods then we should take them without complaining. students don’t care about school budget deficits.
i see where you all are coming from, that we should use the money for better purposes, but some kids really want ipods that can;t afford them. even the kids that already have one. they wont complain!

Posted by matt on April 11, 2007 at 1:49 AM (CDT)

re: first post:

bankrupTcy.

Posted by Not a graduate of MI schools on April 11, 2007 at 2:24 PM (CDT)

There are a lot of problems with the public school budget in Michigan, but an iPod is a great educational tool, make no mistake about that, and a powerful one.  Students don’t focus their use of their own brains for learning either but choose to experiment with drugs alcohol and X-boxes.  Some will misuse their brains all their lives.  It’s still a great tool of potential.  And some kids will misuse an iPod, maybe, but some will get a lot out of it.

Whether or not this is a well-timed idea today, in the correct position of priority, is questionable.

An iPod is a great tool and not just for playing audio files.  I have the 80 gig and I use it constantly.  These same kids may be able to use an iPod hard disk for traditional uses and for transferring data.  80 gigs is as much memory as I have on my laptop.  Also, Northern Michigan University provided a laptop to every full-time enrolled undergrad at one point, and was ridiculed for it.

I got this iPod in December and it’s aalready almost as valuable to me as my laptop, which I use all day.

Posted by Jennifer Trudeau on April 11, 2007 at 3:00 PM (CDT)

I have a 30GB iPod and love it.  However, I personally agree with the negative responses I’ve read so far concerning handing these things out to students…a waste of taxpayer’s money, as I don’t think the majority of students would fill up an ipod with studies…they’d be more likely to download music/movies, which takes up a horrendous amount of free time they could use for studying! I have to commend the students who, so honestly, voiced the same opinion. Also, iPods are one of the biggest targets for theft.  This could open up a whole new meaning
to problems at school if studies got dependant upon them…cheating, term paper theft,
shootings, etc.
To address federal grants for purchases…do people think federal grant money grows on trees?  No, *&^(^#@, grant money also comes from the taxpayer!

Posted by nancy selzer on April 12, 2007 at 2:59 AM (CDT)

I believe that the concept of being able to download a class lecture ona MP3 player is brilliant.

However, should the MP3 players be provided by the state?  No.  Come on, every kid doesn’t even own a copmuter to download the material.  Plus, how many would actually use it for that purpose.  Spend that money on improving the existing schools.

If Apple wants to work with the schools to have lectures available on iTunes for a fee, great.  Those kids that want to use it could.  Plus, they would have to purchase their own MP3 player.  So, many kids have one now.

Posted by Wen on April 12, 2007 at 9:39 AM (CDT)

First of all, the iPod should be the LAST mp3 player to buy for kids.  Check out the majority of other mp3 players out there- they have things like “recording” capabilities.  My my.  You don’t have to pay EXTRA for add on dongles.

For anyone to seriously equate an ipod with any sort of laptop is to completely misunderstand the nature and function and capabilities of either item.

Posted by Dave Johnson on April 12, 2007 at 3:55 PM (CDT)

As a senior, in Michigan, about to go to college this fall, I have to agree with the negative responses. I don’t know of ANYONE that would use an ipod for “educational purposes”, and while I own one, I do not think it should be a governmental priority. If we do in fact have this $38 million to spend on education, why can’t we use it to help more students actually afford further education? That’s where I could really use some money. Not on an ipod which would supposedly “enhance” my learning.

Posted by katie on April 15, 2007 at 11:19 AM (CDT)

I believe as a student of North Branch, we should use these devices and it may lower the rate of many people stealing from each other and they could change the programming so it is made just for educational use.

Posted by nick on August 2, 2007 at 11:48 PM (CDT)