3G iPod Battery Replacement for $22.99 | iLounge News

3G iPod Battery Replacement for $22.99

DealMac and L.A. Computer company offer DealMac readers an 850 mAh replacement battery for 3G iPods for $22.99.  The low price battery kit includes an installation tool and instructions. Shipping is approximately $6.00.

« Global Source PDA releases 9V Emergency Charger for iPods

Contour Design releases Showcase 4G »

Comments

Hmm…..

Posted by REID on September 2, 2004 at 12:08 PM (CDT)

I concur…......

Posted by Smrpy in helsinki, finland on September 2, 2004 at 12:15 PM (CDT)

I don’t know, I think it’s a very good thing and about time somebody made it more of a realistic price.

I’m gonna stick with my 3g, and will probably need a battery, and this is definitely more like it.

why the “hmm” ?

Posted by mvague on September 2, 2004 at 12:45 PM (CDT)

geez, why doesn’t apple just make it possible for people to change their own battery?? they should definitely consider this for the G5.

Posted by EM on September 2, 2004 at 2:10 PM (CDT)

EM - I doubt that will ever happen - most people will opt for the next gen vs a battery replacement right now because its not as easy as say your remote control to replace the battery.  Why in the world would Apple make it easier and lose business, they want you to upgrade.

Posted by Dale on September 2, 2004 at 2:51 PM (CDT)

so how long do you figure a 9v battery would charge an ipod?

Posted by john on September 2, 2004 at 4:43 PM (CDT)

oops, wrong area to post it… sorry.

Posted by john on September 2, 2004 at 4:44 PM (CDT)

LMAO….wow John, thats the best laugh ive had all day…thx :)

Posted by john on September 2, 2004 at 8:46 PM (CDT)

I’d feel a whole lot better knowing that a trained Apple employee replaced my battery than to risk cracking open my $400 iPod.

But that’s just me.

Posted by REID on September 2, 2004 at 10:09 PM (CDT)

REID, that’s just you.  I’d rather open my own iPod with care, than have some bored technician do it, who has no regards for my iPod, other than that induced by fear of losing his job.

This is a great price on the battery.  I’m considering buying one just in case I need it in the future.

Posted by kokketiel on September 3, 2004 at 6:09 AM (CDT)

<other than that induced by fear of losing his job>

as if that would even happen…

Posted by mvague on September 3, 2004 at 8:59 AM (CDT)

First, I’ve cracked open every iPod I’ve owned and I’ve done battery replacements for gen 1 and 2 for my own and friends’ iPods. No big deal. The 3rd generation design is a little more daunting but still anyone who follows the directions should be able to do it without problems.

As to a replaceable battery. Looking at the design of mobile phones I see no good solutions for an easily replaceable battery.

scenario 1: a battery the slides onto the main unit. This design was used for my first two cell phones. I don’t want to think about how many times the battery came detached from my phone. I once lost a contract because all day long unknown to me my battery was disconnected and my phone dead.

scenerio 2: the battery is located inside the case but the case is easily openned. My last three phones have been like this. Because I keep my phone in my pocket, all of them have to be openned periodically and the lint cleaned out of them. I can’t imagine lint getting along well with an iPod.

No, I think this design exists for a reason

Posted by david on September 3, 2004 at 9:22 AM (CDT)

dont listen to david, hes an idiot. you can make a little slider in the back chrome and it would work fine. apple just wants to replace it themselves. wow! 100$ battery

Posted by jot on September 3, 2004 at 11:14 AM (CDT)

Kokketiel,
It is a good price, but don’t buy one for the future. Batteries are not like fine wine: age does not help them. You want as fresh a battery as possible.

Posted by Questioner on September 3, 2004 at 4:18 PM (CDT)

David has some good points. Maybe a screw-down compartment would work.

BTW, have you noticed that they make 2000 mAh batteries for the first and second generations? That’s a lot of battery power.

Posted by Questioner on September 3, 2004 at 4:43 PM (CDT)

I would never, ever pry open my Ipod…too many bad things can happen. That said, I’m an all thumbs kind-of-guy, anyway…..BP.

Posted by BizPod in Phoenix, AZ USA on September 4, 2004 at 10:07 PM (CDT)

how much more life does 850 mAh give you rather than the stock 630 mAh battery.

Posted by Steve on September 6, 2004 at 2:04 AM (CDT)

jot’s an idiot for name-calling.

Posted by mvague on September 7, 2004 at 12:13 PM (CDT)

Apple doesn’t crack open your iPod and replace your battery, they just send you a new or refurbished iPod.

Posted by Ender1490 on September 10, 2004 at 5:44 PM (CDT)

If that’s true that Apple doesn’t replace the battery and just sends a new or refurbished iPod, I would not want to send it being that I had my iPod painted by Colorware. They should replace the battery and send your original iPod back to you.

Posted by Tenchi211 in California on September 11, 2004 at 8:09 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >