4G iPod has secret features? | iLounge News

4G iPod has secret features?

Time Magazine’s Wilson Rothman named the new 4G iPod the “Gadget of the Week” and noted that “you should know that internally the new iPod is a ground-up reconstruction, and its really compelling applications — the ones that very well might get the goat of anyone unable or unwilling to upgrade — are still secret. All that Apple is saying is that there’s more to this than what’s being publicized.”

« Update: Apple “stunned” at RealNetworks’ hacker tactics

Contest to win Shure earphones »

Comments

This doesn’t make sense to me….Some of the pics on the net of the 4g autopsy look nearly identical to the 3G….

Maybe he meant new, exciting features through better firmware?

Posted by Cameron on July 29, 2004 at 8:34 AM (PDT)

yeah, whoever wrote this article.  blah.

Posted by earl on July 29, 2004 at 8:39 AM (PDT)

Probably hidden features that can only be unlocked via a new accessorie. I hope it’s something to do with a radio. All i want my ipod to do is let me switch from my mp3s to the baseball game or the news while I am on the bus. Even if I need to have a $50 add-on the size of a voice recorder.

Posted by yojo on July 29, 2004 at 8:44 AM (PDT)

That would be an extremely nice addition…maybe enough for me to replace my mini with a 4G.

Posted by Asian_N02 in Delaware on July 29, 2004 at 8:51 AM (PDT)

This article seemed like an example of irresponsible journalism to me, or an unabashed corporate plug.

Not sure which is worse.

Either way, I’m holding on to my 2d Gen 20 GB iPod, thank you very much!  And no, I haven’t had to replace the battery and it’s been more than 2 years.

Posted by Yukon Corneleone on July 29, 2004 at 9:03 AM (PDT)

a radio add-on would be wonderful. I think I read that someone (belkin?) had one in pre-production, but then never ended up producing it.

Maybe a radio contained in a wired remote?

Posted by carl on July 29, 2004 at 9:03 AM (PDT)

I guess itat’s just the usual bragging about all the features to come ... the hidden values within ... all that’s needed is a programmer to do it ... har har har.

Posted by Hans on July 29, 2004 at 9:04 AM (PDT)

Im sure it is a firmware upgrade, and possible internal changes so that 3rd parties can create custom software, like the SnowDay job, and additional products.  Im sure it’s quite an advancement and I agree.. it’s almost pointless to have an article like this, unless they tell us at least one of those “new” things they are talking about.. and then leak the rest as time goes on.

Posted by rick on July 29, 2004 at 9:08 AM (PDT)

I suspect that the ‘‘ground up reconstruction” was to improve efficiency and subsequently battery life. Not to incorporate hidden features.

Posted by BitBoy on July 29, 2004 at 9:09 AM (PDT)

Sure, new firmware to be released just in time for Christmas - Just give it to us now.

We are all good little retail pets, we sold or gave away our 3G’s to buy your new 4G’s…

Don’t just give away secrets to privileged reporters (so that they can only hint at cool stuff).

Our loyalty is unquestionable… time to throw us the big bone Apple!

Ps. Does anyone from Apple ever read these posts!!! Ever!!!

Posted by jpt1 in Fresno on July 29, 2004 at 9:10 AM (PDT)

I’m sure somebody from Apple’s gotta read these posts.  Other than Apple, iPodLounge is the first Google listing for “iPod.”

And I’m really hoping for a better remote (why one wasn’t included?) with radio functions.  Probably a good $100 niche accessory?

Posted by dethbrakr on July 29, 2004 at 9:18 AM (PDT)

I’d love my iPod even more if I could listen to the radio, too—I don’t know why it’s not included in the first place.

Posted by Schiano on July 29, 2004 at 9:28 AM (PDT)

I read somewhere else (the othe ipod-only site) that after opening the guts of a 4G iPod, they discovered another processor. New features remain unknow… but that would explain the lack of ‘re’ in the evolutionary release of the current iPod.

Posted by micky_topo on July 29, 2004 at 9:36 AM (PDT)

Why wouldn’t Apple promote ALL new features at launch and not try to “tease” us through media speculation?

Tell me what you plan to do, then I’ll plan to upgrade.  Make me drool, if you want me to buy.

Take a lesson from Alpine.

Posted by jwc110869 in Rochester, NY on July 29, 2004 at 9:56 AM (PDT)

SnowDay was an april fools gag.  An SDK being released would be cool to add some interesting stuff to the notes features. I just think that it means that things like the Duke deal where you can download schedules and use the ipod as an ewallet such as keeping encrypted credit card numbers and possibly digital coupons stored in the ipod and then you can just hook up the ipod to the dock at a supermarket or other store and download the info so little joey won’t steal your info.  Might hook up with American Express to create the first digital wallet/card.

Posted by Romero7 on July 29, 2004 at 10:11 AM (PDT)

If Jobs announces the new iMac has built-in Wifi, my prediction is that he will also announce that the 4G iPod has had Wifi all along.

The double whammy would be too good to waste.

This feature would allow sharing of music over wireless on the train, wireless syncing (but, um, a bit slow) and the obvious AirPort Express jiggery (get home, unplug headphones, music continues immediately on your hifi)

Posted by BenP on July 29, 2004 at 10:12 AM (PDT)

Romero7,

I don’t think this would catch on in America quite yet.  And I don’t think Apple would risk its iPod on an unsure technolog.

Posted by dethbrakr on July 29, 2004 at 10:16 AM (PDT)

wifi would be *awesome*  Want to do a quick synch?  Just drive by your house!  Very cool.

Posted by dethbrakr on July 29, 2004 at 10:17 AM (PDT)

I’d rather have a record input than a radio or wifi or credit card function. I’ve considered buying the cheapest iRiver just to take along to gigs with me.

Posted by Scot on July 29, 2004 at 11:43 AM (PDT)

WiFi would be the only thing to get me excited but I think that anyone pulling one apart would have found the antenna by now.

Posted by loGan on July 29, 2004 at 11:46 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 6 pages  1 2 3 >  Last »