4G iPod has secret features? | iLounge News

4G iPod has secret features?

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Thursday, July 29, 2004
News Categories: iPod

Time Magazine’s Wilson Rothman named the new 4G iPod the “Gadget of the Week” and noted that “you should know that internally the new iPod is a ground-up reconstruction, and its really compelling applications — the ones that very well might get the goat of anyone unable or unwilling to upgrade — are still secret. All that Apple is saying is that there’s more to this than what’s being publicized.”

« Update: Apple “stunned” at RealNetworks’ hacker tactics

Contest to win Shure earphones »

Comments

The new feature of the new G4 is it can be used as a suppository, to pug up all the Bullsh*t about the new Ipod. And it vibrates when inserted.

Posted by nos4ra2 on July 29, 2004 at 11:50 AM (PDT)

Of course it’s true ... or mebbe Time’s got another reporter who’s making things up.

Posted by raincoast in Nanaimo BC on July 29, 2004 at 12:04 PM (PDT)

There’s probably no radio in the current iPods because it would take up more space.  One of the main selling points it’s minuscule size.  I’d prefer to see more storage capacity or a larger screen than a radio.

Posted by Lindan in Las Vegas on July 29, 2004 at 12:07 PM (PDT)

There’s no wifi in the thing, guys.

Posted by gimmeabreak on July 29, 2004 at 12:08 PM (PDT)

Anyone have links to the 4G autopsy pictures?  I can’t find any by searching…

Posted by bikepodmini on July 29, 2004 at 12:23 PM (PDT)

Instead of us paying for load of cash on space we won’t use, new features (hardware portion) would be nice for a change.

Posted by Lindan on July 29, 2004 at 12:25 PM (PDT)

I accidently typed in ‘Lindan’ name instead of mine. I meant to address to her post.

Posted by correction above on July 29, 2004 at 12:27 PM (PDT)

I honestly could use more storage.  I have a 40GB right now that is only 2GB from being full.  I want more storage because I don’t like to go dig out my CD’s when I remember something I want to hear.  No, I don’t listen to everything, but it’s nice to have it right there when you want it.

Posted by Lindan in Las Vegas on July 29, 2004 at 12:30 PM (PDT)

bikepodmini:
h**p://www.ipoding.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album11&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Posted by micky_topo on July 29, 2004 at 12:35 PM (PDT)

I’m betting the “new” features will be a remote control with lcd and later some new devices like belkin released, supported by firmware upgrades.

And most likely the release of the 60GB version by christmas time.

Just My 2 cents…

Posted by Jolidog on July 29, 2004 at 12:51 PM (PDT)

I would count on the 60GB being released this year. Firstly, someone from Apple explicitly denied that they have been making one or plan to in the forseeable future. Secondly, it would sell very poorly, since most of the iPod buyers buy the cheapest one. Personally, I’d love a 60GB iPod, but I am just an enthusiast and producing one is just not a smart move for Apple.

Posted by br- on July 29, 2004 at 12:58 PM (PDT)

Thanks for the links miky_topo.

Posted by bikepodmini on July 29, 2004 at 1:01 PM (PDT)

I think Apple should improve the iPod’s recording functionality. I’m sure a firmware upgrade would improve the quality of the files saved by components such as Belkin’s Voice Recorder and Griffin’s iTalk. I understand that there are copyright issues but the iPod would be so usefull to use as a dictaphone. I’m a med student and could really do with easily recording endless lectures. I hope that this is part of the “big secret”.

Posted by DragonEmu on July 29, 2004 at 1:06 PM (PDT)

Ya’ll are on the right track with the remote, but in a different way. There is still that missing remote for the airport express. Jobs also said at a previous conference to look for more developments for iPod and automobile.

Posted by Kirk on July 29, 2004 at 1:25 PM (PDT)

“Storage is fine as it is. 40GB, just how much more do u want? Those who want any more storage (ie 60GB), just wants it for the bragging right, completly blinding the practicallity of the device.”

I don’t think this is true.  I have a 30GB iPod and use only about half for music (even though it can only hold a fraction of my music, I only need so much with me).  The other half I use for as a portable hard drive, and it’s used every day by me transfering videos from training to my home computer.  Sure, I could buy an external hard drive or something else of the sort, but the iPod allows me to do this all with one device.  I’m sure I’m not the only person who’d like more disk space on this device.
If apple released a 60GB iPod for $500, I would probably upgrade.

Posted by bennok on July 29, 2004 at 2:32 PM (PDT)

I was able to pick up a really faint AP through my netstumbler wi-fi tracking software when I placed my ipod my my orinco wifi card. It only happens for a second when you reset the ipod.

heh. just kidding.

wifi would be awesome though.

Posted by menelaus22 on July 29, 2004 at 2:52 PM (PDT)

The idea of using the iPod as a remote for AirTunes has 2 problems (though I’d love to see it). 1) AirTunes uses Apple Lossless encoding, and from what I’ve seen there is no chip in the iPod to do this on the fly 2) the iPod would need some sort of ability to select which Airport Express to send it to. Both of these can be overcome with a special wi-fi add-on that has its own batteries, but it just sounds like too much to me for Apple to do it.

What I COULD see happening is a special new dock that has 100 Base-T, video/audio out, power in and FireWire. It would come with its own remote and have extra internal software for doing everything an Eye Home does. It does not say for the AirPort Express, but the new Airport Extreme basestation supports power over ethernet… so really the Express could be BOTH its power supply AND its connection to a Wi-Fi network. Boom, now you can dock your iPod and share its contents around the house, maybe even synch to your computer, and your new dock can play your music, video, and photos from anything on your wireless network.

More realistically would be a dock without the video out. But with the 100 BaseT for power, sharing your iPod, and giving a remote interface to the music (maybe an LCD display or just use the iPod’s display?)

A wish, but probably a dream, would be for Apple to add to this dock the ability to record TV in MPEG4 as well, straight to the iPod or to another machine on the network. Or maybe this would be a second version with an HD and maybe a burner. Really doubtfull though I hold out hope, I mean, iMacs were about Rip Mix Burn without any DRM, maybe this would be too.

Posted by sloan on July 29, 2004 at 3:12 PM (PDT)

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried previously unsupported formats like wma, or got into diagnostics mode (may have a clue) on the 4G? It sounds like the secret is already on the 4G, is it hidden, or does it need firmware to enable it, thats the question.

Posted by nothinglower on July 29, 2004 at 3:16 PM (PDT)

im happy with my new ipod. i wanted something with a longer battery life, and so far, i think i’ve got it.  i am a little peeved that the ipod i bought less than a year ago pretty much died this summer, but with the amount of use i got out of it - walking, working out, running, etc., i got a LOT of use out of that gadget.  ten years ago i was having the same experience with walkmans.  i would buy them at radio shack and i signed up for the two year warranty plan. any time something went wrong with it, i brought it back, told them what was up, and got a replacement - no questions, no snotty remarks, etc…those were good days.  now, you have to spring half a grand for a new machine every year.  but for me, its worth it. i love my music, and i love to have it whenever i want - local radio in duluth minnesota is AWFUL!  so thank god for ipod =)

Posted by jon on July 29, 2004 at 3:33 PM (PDT)

Assuming (as I do) that the ideal end-state is an iPod that can hold all the music you legally own at a bitrate that’s reasonable for on-the-go listening, no iPod is going to be impractical for me until they get past 160GB or so.

Having said that, 40GB is *plenty* of “jus’ carryin’ around” music for me at the moment.  I’d only upgrade to a 60GB model if it included some serious new features beyond a capacity bump.  Like video playback, or PalmOS or something.

Posted by Ernie Longmire on July 29, 2004 at 3:35 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 6 pages  <  1 2 3 4 >  Last »