4G iPod has secret features? | iLounge News

4G iPod has secret features?

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Thursday, July 29, 2004
News Categories: iPod

Time Magazine’s Wilson Rothman named the new 4G iPod the “Gadget of the Week” and noted that “you should know that internally the new iPod is a ground-up reconstruction, and its really compelling applications — the ones that very well might get the goat of anyone unable or unwilling to upgrade — are still secret. All that Apple is saying is that there’s more to this than what’s being publicized.”

« Update: Apple “stunned” at RealNetworks’ hacker tactics

Contest to win Shure earphones »

Comments

the dude from Apple said - no 60gb iPods!

SO MAYBE the 60gb drives are for video pods? (anyone think of a catchier name)!

Posted by the don on July 29, 2004 at 3:36 PM (PDT)

vPod?

But, Apple ALWAYS denies rumors. They have to. If they didn’t people that wanted the largest available iPod would just wait until the 60gigs are released, leaving Apple with leftover 40gig drives.

Posted by Scot on July 29, 2004 at 3:48 PM (PDT)

Anyone know a site where they take apart the 4g?  I cant find one anywhere, I wunna see what it looks like inside.  Mine is so amazing, I got the belkin voice recorder, the in-ear earphones, and the card reader for my digital camera, they are all awesome, the media reader isnt as fast as I would like it to be, but the voice recorder is amazing.  Thanks for any replies about the 4G dissection

Posted by Carlos Everygad on July 29, 2004 at 3:56 PM (PDT)

One of the new features they are talking about is that when you unplug the audio chord, the iPod automatically pauses. Basically, this guy was just exploiting the fact that Apple customers get VERY excited over the products and any “secrets” related to them. If there was really something in the 4G iPod that would “get the goat of anyone unable or unwilling to upgrade,” Apple would waste no time in advertising it. Yeah, because they have any reason to not want people unwilling to upgrade to do so. Please.

Posted by drexeljoe on July 29, 2004 at 4:11 PM (PDT)

Apple needs to include something like Octiv’s digital re-mastering and a simple crossfading engine.  That way a 128k mp3 sounds like a 320k, a song poorly recorded in the 50’s or the 80’s would again sparkle - I have used both Octiv’s on-the-fly digital re-mastering in iTunes and Winamp, it rocks.  Of course the option to turn it off and on ect., would allow those who did not want to use the features happy (hey sometimes you want it to sound the way it was recorded).

The iPOD is all about the music -

If Apple added on-the-fly digital re-mastering and crossfading - well as a sound engineer that…. would be too cool!

Apple & Octiv, if you want a real world beta tester… Sign me up!

Posted by jpt1 in Fresno on July 29, 2004 at 4:24 PM (PDT)

Folks!!  They said they have no plans regarding the announcement of the 60 gig, not the 60 gig itself.  If history truly repeats itself, there will be a 60 gig for 499 next.  (Remember, they got rid of the 20 for a 30, then a 30 for a 40.  Each time, the next one down went to the lower price tier.)

Posted by Andy on July 29, 2004 at 4:53 PM (PDT)

60-100 gig with software update to enable all 4G’s with on-the-fly digital re-mastering and crossfading upgrade (iTunes 4.7 or 5.0)

Hey why not!

Posted by jpt1 in Fresno on July 29, 2004 at 4:57 PM (PDT)

It has new hardware which allow completely new features. It has the same USB card as mini, which can allow USB host, meaning that for instance, you can theoretically connect Webcams and iPod can use them etc.

Of course that’s just an example, but basically explains that a lot more possibility of accessories to come.

Posted by Prashant on July 29, 2004 at 5:30 PM (PDT)

I wouldn’t get too excited.  I got my 3G after hearing that the hardware supported recording, hoping to use it for concert recording &c—and of course that never materialised.  To my extreme annoyance.

(I also thought that I wouldn’t get left out in the cold when it came to future software updates.  Looks like I was wrong about that, too…)

Get an iPod for what it can do now.  Not for what it might (or might not) be able to do in future, because you too could be disappointed.

Oh, and to those folks who can’t see a need for more space: my 30GB iPod can only hold a quarter of my music collection.  Just coz you don’t want more space doesn’t mean that no-one else does either.

Posted by Gidds in UK on July 29, 2004 at 6:58 PM (PDT)

guys, i was just wondering… u kno in the ipod menu… do any of u find it kinda strange that instead of having ’ playlist’ adn ‘browse’ that they have ‘music’ instead… it just seems kind of awkward… because they seem to have put everything to do with music under 1 catergory as if to make space for another big feature…

Posted by bleeps on July 29, 2004 at 7:07 PM (PDT)

I would upgrade from my 3g for even fair quality line-in recording.  wi-fi, bluetooth attachments would be nice.  an actual adjustable eq, not just presets, can’t understand why that’s not in yet…  And btw, my 40gig is full - I would love a 60!

Posted by qualityrecordingplease on July 29, 2004 at 7:07 PM (PDT)

Hidden secrets?  Could it just be that there are other features that will be available, but need 10.3.5 (or Tiger) before they can become operational?  If 10.3.5 is needed it was wise to keep them hidden as it would have slowed initial G4 iPods sales.  one benefit is that this gives Apple more time to make life difficult for Real’s Harmony.  Pity.

The only thing I would put money on is that it probably will focus on Mac’s world more than PCs.

Actually I would also bet that Real gets a rocket up their whoops-z-dasey . . .

Posted by ken on July 29, 2004 at 7:21 PM (PDT)

I just want AC3 file support.

Posted by peebee on July 29, 2004 at 7:56 PM (PDT)

Gidds! That makes SO much sense!
I have no idea what those other categories might be though (maybe video, photo, internet??).

Everyone was wondering why they changed it to “music”.

I think you’re onto something.

I also think they are going to fix the software to allow better recording capabilities.

Posted by Pamela on July 29, 2004 at 9:49 PM (PDT)

Guys, they are leaving out major features for a simple reason.  The next firmware update will come soon after Real releases Harmony publicly.  This will allow them to thwart Real’s attempt at iPod compatability.  If they just released these features now, why would you upgrade later just to have less choices in music services.  Whatever this is, it has to be pretty big, a whole new dimension for the iPod, not just a new accessory.  Thats my take on it and personally I can’t wait for my 4G iPod to arrive on monday, whether or not apple has any secret features in it. ;D

Posted by Tivy on July 29, 2004 at 10:32 PM (PDT)

Anyone noticed this on the ipod tech specs on the apple site?:
“Upgradable firmware enables support for future audio formats.”
Hopefully ogg at least. read http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/ogg-on-ipod-why-the-ipod-may-not-have-the-horsepower-for-ogg-015607.php for more info.

Probably also 3GPP and some other not necessary audioformats for mobile phones.

Posted by tomtomtom on July 29, 2004 at 10:33 PM (PDT)

Personally my gut feeling tells me that the headphone out is also a digital out so you can plug it into a DAC for reasonably high-end audio.

Guess it will be enbled in a firmware release.

Hmmm. Nice.

Virek

Posted by virek on July 29, 2004 at 10:39 PM (PDT)

this is what lurks inside minis and g4s: http://www.portalplayer.com/products/documents/5020_Brief_0108_Public.pdf

seems to be capable to deal with jpegs, mjpeg, pal/ntsc tv out, it can encode mp3’s , has possiblity to a digital audio in/ out… obviously apple hasn’t (or probably won’t) use all these features, but there are always those who make accessories…

Posted by tomtomtom on July 29, 2004 at 10:57 PM (PDT)

I would definately buy a remote with an LCD-screen. Hope Apple is releasing that soon!

Posted by My iPod is somewhere between Taiwan and the Nether on July 29, 2004 at 11:15 PM (PDT)

I think a new remote is likely. It seems odd that they didn’t supply the remote with the 4Gs as to me it is an essential purchase.

The only problem that plagues a remote with an LCD is it would be very difficult to get a reasonable level of information & control of the iPod on a smaller LCD.

The Sony “inline” style remotes are fantastic, something in that style would be awesome.

The current iPod remote is poorly designed but still useful.

Posted by Moorish on July 30, 2004 at 12:17 AM (PDT)

Page 3 of 6 pages  <  1 2 3 4 5 >  Last »