iPod Updater 2005-10-12 released | iLounge News

iPod Updater 2005-10-12 released

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, October 18, 2005
News Categories: iPod

Apple has posted iPod Updater 2005-10-12 for download on its website. The update includes iPod Software 1.0 for Apple’s new video-enabled fifth-generation iPod, but does not bring any new features to current iPods. According to the brief release notes, iPod Updater 2005-10-12 “contains the same software versions as iPod Updater 2005-09-23 for all other iPod models.”

« Tunewear debuts Prie Ambassador, Icewear for 5G iPods

Fifth-generation (video) iPods arrive »

Comments

Apple don’t give a toss about existing customers.  You don’t make money that way!  Not in the short term anyway, Apple is greedy, so short term wealth is all that matters to them.

I think that by the time the 6th Gen (Widescreen iPod) is out, the competition might have caught up with the iPod, when that day comes, I wont be one of Apple’s customers ever again.

I want the audio quality bug in the 4th Gen fixed, but I think that it’s a design problem, and there is no fix on the way.

Lets face it, with a “new” iPod out every 6 months, where is the incentive for Apple to spend time and money fixing the bugs in the previous gen?  This situation will only change when the sales of iPods decline, and so many old customers stop coming back for the “next gen”.

Posted by Tone on October 19, 2005 at 3:01 PM (PDT)

Zman - I think annoyance is allowed, of course. I think the worse thing apple could have started doing is packaging all the updaters together. It use to be if a new updater came out for one iPod one just grumbled that no other updates were released, but in releasing them all together, I think people expect more or something.

The new updates have been for brand new iPods in the last couple of months, My hope would be that they have been so busy with the other they just haven’t started on the bugs at hand, as the current stuff dies down I’d like to think they have started thinking about fixing it…

Posted by Stuart on October 19, 2005 at 3:50 PM (PDT)

Genius here again.  Zman - first of all…think about what you are complaining about.  Smart playlists.  Okay, are you saying an iPod isn’t worth it because of Smart playlists?!?! Does anybody else think that this is ridiculous?  Honestly, are you THAT lazy to make a playlist manually?  Be resourceful.  I personally would rather have Apple concentrating on making Nano sized iPods (how the **** did they get it that small?) and other better features than Smart playlists.  Battery issue included.

Posted by Genius on October 19, 2005 at 5:30 PM (PDT)

Genius - the point is not that the iPod isn’t “worth it” because of the Smart Playlists issue.  The point is that what once worked no longer does.  The point is that I’m getting tired of sitting by with a “broken” piece of hardware that Apple has had plenty of opportunity to fix.  The point is that Apple has admitted their mistake and is doing nothing about it.  Or at least it seems that way.

Do you own an iPod?  Or do you just have so much money that you’re able to throw it around on every new model that comes out and discard what you had?  Because if what you’re worried about is what’s coming out *next*, you must not have any reason to worry about what you already have.

Maybe I was just a sucker for shelling out $600 for the 60-gig photo a year ago.  After all, I guess it was a failure for Apple, or at least that’s what I’m reading.  So maybe that makes me the big loser here for buying the most expensive iPod ever made.  And maybe that gives Apple the reason to ignore me.  Who knows?  Maybe they feel the same way about all of the other 4g users that have the same problem.

Oh, and unless you don’t understand what Smart Playlists really are, perhaps you should investigate a little more the power that we once had with dynamically updating playlists.  Personally, I really miss the ability to have a random set of music based on preset criteria that would reset itself without having to sync back up with the PC.  It’s not that I’m too lazy to create a manual playlist, it’s that I miss being able to have a semi-random set of songs played for me.  I listen to my iPod for 8 to 10 hours a day, and it really sucks that if I want to go back to a particular smart playlist it always starts back at the beginning.

It actually takes a lot more work to create a valid and comprehensive Smart Playlist than it does to create a manual drag and drop one.  Or maybe you’re too lazy to find that out for yourself.

Posted by ZMan on October 19, 2005 at 8:09 PM (PDT)

Zman - Please read the entire thread.  Had you done this, I wouldn’t have had to point out the fact that I am a self-proclaimed “old-school iPodder”.  3G - that’s right, the one with the battery issue.  The 4 hour battery.  I received my iPod as a gift 3 years ago, so I cherish more than I would if I had bought it with my own money.  Yes, three years and the it has just recently been settled, but I still haven’t receieved my $50 Apple store money.  How long have you waited for something so pitiful as Smart playlists?  3 months?  Apple knew about the batteries from the get-go.  I haven’t upgraded, and I don’t say yet because I don’t plan to. I don’t have that kind of money.  I hate to be like the other Apple defenders and remind you that Apple is a business, not your friend.  I do have Smart playlists, but I don’t see them as a necessity to listening to music - the sole purpose of an iPod.  Battery power on the other hand IS a necessity, because no power = no music.  I am not trying to make you feel stupid or put you down. I am trying to open your eyes past your own iPod, and think of the majority here, as a business would.

The End.

Posted by Genius on October 19, 2005 at 10:19 PM (PDT)

Apple broke.
They ain’t fixed it.
They ain’t ackowledged it.
It’s been 4 months.
It cost £429

These are the facts. That’s all. Of course we have a right to be mad!

Posted by RDH on October 20, 2005 at 2:49 AM (PDT)

Look, Genius, we’re arguing the same point here.  You and I both have hardware that doesn’t do what it’s supposed to do.  We both want Apple to acknowledge and fix it.  At least you know something is coming to you in terms of a credit.  For me (and all of the other iPod owners of *several* different models, I just have to sit by and wait with the hope that Apple will address it sometime.

Believe me, you didn’t make me “feel stupid.”  So good thing you weren’t trying.

But I do totally agree with at least one thing you said.  “The end.”

Posted by ZMan on October 20, 2005 at 8:08 AM (PDT)

Personally I’ve always been a PC guy.  Resisted buying an iPod for years because of it.  Eventually broke down last year and bought one and instantly feel in love with it.  I started recommending it to friends.

Then the firmware update that stole smart playlist live updating came.  Until this is fixed, apple will get neither aa single dime more of my money nor recommendations to friends.  I’m actively pointing people away from apple based on their obvios disrespect for their customers.

Posted by Scott on October 20, 2005 at 3:20 PM (PDT)

RDH - they have acknowledged it.  Is your iPod broken? If it doesn’t play music, you should talk to Apple customer service about it.  If it does, then quit pissing and moaning about Smart playlists.

ZMan - You really aren’t understanding Genius.  Actually read his posts.  What is an iPod supposed to do, play music or update Smart playlists?  What is the main purpose of an iPod?  That’s right, to listen to music.

Scott - I agree, Apple hates their customers, how dare beat us over the head with better and better products advancing the technology of digital music to where it has never been before.  I can’t believe they stole Smart playlist live updating!  The world is coming to an end because my iPod is broken…wait.  Does it still play music?  Nothing in life is perfect, you don’t always get what you want, if something is too good to be true it probably is, and all those other stupid cliches.  Point?  Be content with what you have - a kick *** Mp3 player and quit complaining about its every imperfection.  If you still think Apple sucks, try some other Mp3 players.  Then come back and share your experiences.  #####.

Posted by Jegro on October 20, 2005 at 3:39 PM (PDT)

Well said Jegro.  I would like to further point out (again, because the denser folks require repetition to understand easy concepts) that Apple is a business.  They care about their customers - to a point.  That point stopped at fixing Smart playlist live updating.  What is more important, developing firmware for potential customers, or fixing firmware for a VERY small population of iPodders who complain about the Smart playlists not updating themselves.  Does your iPod play music?  From a business standpoint, that is “working” enough for them.

Posted by Genius on October 20, 2005 at 3:47 PM (PDT)

Zman - Quit being a whiny ***** and appreciate what you have.  I can’t believe you, RDH, and Scott are seriously complaining about this minor issue.  I too have a 3G and am still waiting for my credit.  It is not a fact that we will get it - I don’t have mine yet.  I still appreciate Apple’s iPods, and I am still content with what I have.  I can be patient because I know that better products will ALWAYS keep coming.  Thanks Apple.

Posted by Snake on October 20, 2005 at 4:15 PM (PDT)

Call me whiny.  Call me lazy.  Call me anything you want and attack on a personal level.  Doesn’t bother me a bit. Matter of fact, I’d probably agree with you.

I have been reading all of the posts, and I understand what Genius is getting at.  But if you do a tally of the posts on here, complaints about the broken smartlists are leading 7 users to 2 over complaints of a battery issue. (Hmm, could it be because this was a firmware article, and batteries have nothing to do with firmware?)  I’m not alone.  My guess is that more iPod owners are effected by the Smart Playlist issue than the battery one.  Just because your problem may have been around longer than the broken Smart Playlist one doesn’t make your problem any more important than anybody else’s.  It’s all relative.  I’m not downing your situation.  To you, it’s serious.  To me, it’s not.  And vice-versa.

And your arguement that because Apple is a business they don’t care about their customers makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.  Your argument reminds me of an old Yogi Berra cliche - “That place is so popular, nobody goes there anymore.”

Without happy customers, Apple will fail.  Being a business means making money.  You can’t survive without it.  It seems that Apple’s business model continues to be one of quickly creating new products to entice new buyers, keeping the product name in the press, and encouraging owners of older models to upgrade to a new model by adding wanted features.  There’s nothing wrong with that model.

But when previous buyers become disenchanted, you lose #3.  As sales fall off, you lose #2.  And if negative word of mouth spreads, you lose #1.

It’s not just Apple.  Ever heard of a thing called customer service?  Yes, it’s an oxymoron in most of today’s society.  But a core of Apple’s market position has been to attract the customers who are extremely loyal to the brand at the exclusion of all others.  Most Apple folk I know would never consider buying anything but an Apple product, and they will be very vocal in letting you know of your own shortcomings if you happen to have a competitive brand.  Turn them off, and you lose the mystique.

Think about it.  We all love our iPods.  Yes, even I do without the Smart Playlist feature.  Would we buy one again?  Probably.  Even with the less-than-perfect situations that seem to surround every model released, Apple’s got a good product.  But if it seems to me that Apple’s only intention is to continually suck additional dollars out of my pocket by turning their back on existing owners, I’ll never buy another one.  Why would I invest in either a company or a product that doesn’t value my business past the checkout counter?

Look, this whole thing is almost getting out of hand.  I’m not a conspiracist.  I’m not throwing in the towel.  The whole point that started this was that I’m getting more than a little annoyed that Apple hasn’t yet fixed (what I believe to be) a simple software / firmware bug even though they’ve had ample opportunity to do so.  The key word there is “yet.”  I’m still waiting.

Genius, sorry you’re also still waiting for your settlement check.  I truly hope it comes for you soon.  With $50, you should be able to afford one of the do-it-yourself third-party batteries that are available online for $30 to $40.  That should get you significantly more battery life than what you had even when your iPod was new.

Oh, one last thing.  It’s been bugging me that you’ve thrown in my face that I should quit whining about the broken Smart Playlists because the iPod still plays music.  Smart Playlists to me are an integral part of listening to music on an iPod.  Your argument would be akin to “There’s nothing wrong with your CD player.  It may not play anything else, but it still plays track 1 of any CD you put in there!”

Posted by ZMan on October 21, 2005 at 10:01 AM (PDT)

I have a friend with a 3G who has just purchased a 5G. He installed the new updater but it somehow stuffed the 3G when it was later docked, and it is now completely dead - it does not react to reset and does not get recognised. Have others experienced this? Fixable?

Posted by Knut on October 27, 2005 at 7:33 PM (PDT)

Is there any talk of a ipod updater for 4th generation ipods where there is a lyric tab?

Posted by Ted Teyber on October 30, 2005 at 11:40 AM (PDT)

Is there any hope that the new updater for the black and white click wheel ipods will have the lyrics option? ALso, do color ipods have the lyrics optin? I think that is really cool that you can read lyrics but it is only for the new ipods, nano and video.  I would be really dissapointed in apple if they didn’t stand behind their older products even if they have newer and better stuff out.

Posted by Ted Teyber on November 2, 2005 at 5:27 PM (PDT)

ZMan, I completely agree with you.  I do nothing but listen to music.  I use smart playlists 100% of the time.  Now I end up listening to the same songs every day.  If I wanted to connect to the computer constantly, I’d listen to music with it.

I’ve recommended ipod’s to lots of people, but I won’t do it again until the live update is fixed.

Posted by Doug Church on December 4, 2005 at 8:40 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2