6 million stop stealing music | iLounge News

6 million stop stealing music

“An estimated 6 million people have stopped downloading copyrighted music from the Internet over fears that they may sued by the recording industry, but the overall number of Americans who download music is rising with the popularity of iTunes, Napster and other legitimate online music services, according to a survey released today by the Pew Internet & American Life Project.

Approximately 23 million people are active downloaders of music, based on a phone survey of 1,371 adult Internet users conducted in February. That compares to 18 million estimated downloaders in November and December 2003.”

« Apple: More than just Macs, developed iPod in 6 months

How the iTunes Music Store and FairPlay works »

Comments

I see this as two different views. Either

1. Since less people d/l music illegally it will be easier for RIAA to catch the remaining people.

2. The RIAA will start to calm down and not catch as many.

Hmmm

Posted by whozyodaddy on April 25, 2004 at 12:43 PM (PDT)

This whole RIAA police thing is nonsense.  They claim they lost millions/billions due to Napster and the like - I for can say that 99.9% of the music I downloaded was music I never would have purchased.

This means that A) It did not hurt the record companies and B) It gave a chance to the artist (in turn helping the record company).

So…This whole campaign is B.S. due to the fac that the record companies were not able to keep up with the times thus making the consumer suffer.

I won’t even go into the pricing of CDs.

Posted by Kesey on April 25, 2004 at 12:49 PM (PDT)

It’s impossible to say how much you would have bought or not if getting it for free weren’t so easy.

It makes me wonder about the study, though…  A phone survey can’t be very accurate:  how many people will tell the truth to a so-called surveyor on the other end, and how does 1,000 people accurately portray an entire nation?

Posted by dethbrakr in Tacoma, WA on April 25, 2004 at 1:21 PM (PDT)

I will keep downloading individual songs illegally until that stupid ripoff ITMS gets a grip and realizes that peopel should not have restrictions and not have to pay full price on music that is low quality…If you really look at the specs of this so called music store, you will realize people are gettting ####### riped off…

Posted by Rob on April 25, 2004 at 1:41 PM (PDT)

dethbrakr, take a statistics class.  1,500 is generally regarded as an adequate sample size.

Posted by Jeremy on April 25, 2004 at 2:25 PM (PDT)

ok jsut as kesey said…if i didnt dl music illegally id have 15 cd’s of my own and thats it….

i would never buy mroe cd’s, and all dl on line does is two fold

1)promotes msuic of smaller named artists and groups amongst friends
2)makes people have a need for an iPod and reduces the number of radio users!

so maybe if the radio was complaining that their ratings are reducing b/c of mp3 pirates…but the RIAA has no room to talk.

Posted by rivlinm on April 25, 2004 at 3:51 PM (PDT)

sweet, the RIAA got rid of all the pansies.

Posted by dave on April 25, 2004 at 4:01 PM (PDT)

dethbrakr,

As long as the sample was random, it can be representative of an entire population. Also a phone survey is one the most effective ones you can do, when compared to others (snail mail, e-mail, and door-to-door)

Posted by Dawg on April 25, 2004 at 4:02 PM (PDT)

i recently visited tower records trying to purchase my first cd in a long time. i tried to avoid the bother of downloading each song one by one “illegally” but after taking a gander at the 18.99 price tag suddenly this chore seemed more appealing. the cd contains about 10 songs so even if i download each for 99 cents its still almost half the price.

Posted by Jaguares in Bay Area, Ca on April 25, 2004 at 4:37 PM (PDT)

I used iTunes Music Store a lot during the Pepsi free song promotion, but the online services arn’t upto par on what I would be willing ot spend yet. There is allofmp3.com, Russian based, that gives you 500mb of bandwith for $5, and I can at least choose to encode my songs @ 320kbs LAME with them to get decent quality, but iTunes… you’re paying $10 for a 10 song CD which would cost maybe $13 in the store, and your getting 1) songs that are 1/10th the quality of the CD, 2) songs that are limited to play on 3 computers, 3) generally a “secure” format that doesn’t allow free use of the song. If I pay $.99 for a song, I PAID for it… I expect to be able to put it on any player that supports the format, use it in any music program I choose, etc.

Posted by widds on April 25, 2004 at 4:51 PM (PDT)

I still ‘steal’ music, but it has nothing to do with prices and it being avaliable freely on the internet. I will not pay for crap.

See, the thing is, 95% of music these days is just not worth any money at all. The other 5% I will pay money for, and big money (Tool Salival CD/DVD boxset cost me $300 Aussie dollars).

Posted by Adam on April 25, 2004 at 7:54 PM (PDT)

You sure it has nothing to do with it being freely available on the internet, Adam?

If so, then you’re telling me that you would go into a store and steal physical CDs every weekend just because 95% of music “isn’t worth money?”  I doubt it highly.

It has EVERYTHING to do with music’s free availability on the internet.  For you to say that it doesn’t is a bit silly.

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on April 25, 2004 at 8:47 PM (PDT)

Sorry, I will re-state that. It didn’t come out well.

I would not even bother getting the songs if they weren’t freely avaliable on the ‘net, and no I wouldn’t steal them physically.

So am I hurting record sales? No. But I am apparently doing the wrong thing.

Posted by Adam on April 25, 2004 at 8:53 PM (PDT)

I live in Canada, so I have no fear of being sued by the “greedy bastard record companies”.

The solution here seems to be a resonable one. We pay a tax on all recordable media, (CD’s) and hardware, (iPods). This money is distributed to the artists. This way I can record what I want, when I want, from who I want. I can then listen to it, burn it or trash it, as many times as I want.

I find that
a) Most of what I download I don’t keep, it’s crap. I certainly wouldn’t buy it and would be really pissed if I had bought it.
b) I come across many artists that I would have never heard of if not for DL’s. I’ve even bought some CD’s based on this.
c) much of what I’ve downloaded is stuff that I bought on record, tape, or CD in the 60’-90’s. I figure that I’ve already paid for the right to these tunes.
d) the record companies have based their losses on past sales, when I believe they colluded in price fixing. It’s their turn to take a hit.
e) and finally I find that most albums are filled with, well filler. Crap that probably shouldn’t be released in the first place, why should I be forced to pay for these lousy tunes.

Here’s to a new musical order.

Orangehaze

Posted by orangehaze on April 25, 2004 at 9:04 PM (PDT)

[url=http://www.basementmacs.com]http://www.basementmacs.com[/url]

Posted by iPeace on April 25, 2004 at 9:52 PM (PDT)

I don’t understand the argument that it’s OK to steal music because you wouldn’t of purchased it or it’s poor quality (as in good music, not bitrate). If it’s that bad why download it at all? Surely you don’t listen to it?!

There’s a debate currently on here about whether having less than 1000 records means you are not a music fan. Personally I think that’s a load of crap, but I would argue that those of you who steal music are defintely NOT music fans. Don’t you realise that if everyone adopted the same attitude there would be no music for you to steal because no one would make records?

I’m sure some will argue that they go to gigs and this supposedly puts more money in the bands pockets than records and maybe it does, I don’t know.

I do agree with everyone who thinks prices of CD’s is too high but then I simply buy when offers are on or shop around more. Try using the argument ‘the price is too high’ when you get caught stealing that car you can’t afford. I don’t think the judge would be impressed! Personally I think it’s a sham of an argument for stealing music - you’re just too tight to buy it or it’s not that important to you.

Posted by bobsyerunkle on April 25, 2004 at 10:46 PM (PDT)

No. If everybody adopted my attitude then there would only be good music. The crap ones would not sell and they would go bankrupt. Its a win win. More better music, less crap music.

I have gone to so many gigs that I have pumped at least one thousand in their direction.

Posted by Adam on April 26, 2004 at 2:35 AM (PDT)

I am tired of this cds are too expensive #### from some of you people.  At my my bestbuy, I buy cds for about 12 or 13 bucks, and if a 17 year old kid can afford that, than most of you can too. And to the comment that if you download you are not a music fan, thats crap also.  I buy most of my music, but just because I dont want to risk spending my money and hating the record, I will download one occassionally, does that mean I dont appreciate music, no, so think about thinkgs before you say them… Theres so much more to a cd than just music, you get cover art, notes from the band, etc… that if YOU ARE A MUSIC FAN you will appreciate.  of course what would you expect from a society who deems britney spear’s “toxic” a good song.

Posted by Rob on April 26, 2004 at 3:48 AM (PDT)

C’mon. Toxic IS a good song! Geez! As much as I hate to admit that i even LIKE a Britney song, “Toxic” is a kewl song! The rest of the album is CRAP tho! Go figure!

Posted by ah ME mon on April 26, 2004 at 4:57 AM (PDT)

I just love the complaint that people who d/l music are destroying music!

Read your history textbooks children, the RIAA (or recording industry) is a very recent development… so is recording music at all, for that matter.

Music has been around ever since a caveman managed to bang two sticks together, and I am sure that MUSIC will manage to outlive the RIAA, KAZAA, and probably the internet itself.

Posted by IDSmoker on April 26, 2004 at 6:32 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >