‘The Great iPod Exchange’ launched | iLounge News

‘The Great iPod Exchange’ launched

NextWorth today launched “The Great iPod Exchange,” a new service for consumers to sell their used iPods for cash. “While some wish to sell their used iPods themselves, The Great iPod Exchange streamlines the sales process, giving customers a better cash return than they might realize through alternative outlets (e.g. Apple Store, PodSwap, SmallDog Electronics),” says the company.

NextWorth describes the three steps to selling your iPod to them:

1) Complete form - Point your browser to http://ipod.nextworth.com, complete online form with details on the condition, model and components of the used iPod. NextWorth provides an instant “guaranteed value” quote for the unit. NextWorth ships the original owner a postage-paid return package.

2) Return - iPod Owner ships iPod and accompanying materials (disc, literature, peripherals) to NextWorth in pre-paid postage package.

3) Receive a check - After receiving and evaluating the customer’s iPod, NextWorth inspects and verifies the condition of the iPod.  Within 2 weeks of their initial contact to NextWorth, the customer receives the check for the “guaranteed value”.

« Mix: The Office, Scary Movie 4, Podfading, VH1 Podcasts

Showtime added to iTunes; Video downloads top 12 million »

Comments

My 4G iPod photo in excellent condition, no scrathes, no blemishes with cradle and USB connector, including power adaptor quotes out at 210.00. I’d say 30 - 40 dollars under what I’d expect.

Posted by JWj on February 7, 2006 at 11:06 AM (PDT)

FYI, the link in the first step doesn’t work. The link in the first paragraph works fine.

Posted by Nathan on February 7, 2006 at 12:47 PM (PDT)

cool my 20gb 4g in pretty good state and all original stuff together is worth $97…
times have changed grin

@nathan: yes, the link in the 1st step has a comma after the .com

Posted by www.formatc.co.nr on February 7, 2006 at 4:52 PM (PDT)

This is a dumb site. I got 100cdn for my broken iPod 3G 20GB

Posted by ANA on February 7, 2006 at 9:06 PM (PDT)

Got $58 bucks for my trusty 1 gen.  For that, it can stay hooked to my stereo.  Q:  Wonder what they’ll make on each pod?

Posted by Doctor Geek on February 8, 2006 at 9:12 AM (PDT)

Meh…

I just sold a 2nd gen. green mini 6g on eBay for 180 bucks.  This site quoted me 100.  I doubt this will do well.

Posted by Matt on February 8, 2006 at 9:21 AM (PDT)

These guys are crooks. I’m sure i’d get at least 1.5 times more on ebay.

Posted by bluestone on February 8, 2006 at 9:33 AM (PDT)

Don’t know why Bluestone calls NextWorth crooks! If they can make it easy to sell your iPod and get you cash fast. Would take me more time to do it on eBay. I know people who have sold other stuff through them and they’re very happy.

Posted by Sheila on February 8, 2006 at 3:05 PM (PDT)

I hear you, guys.  While it’s true that the final selling price of an iPod on eBay may, in general, be a bit higher than what one receives by using our service, it comes down to one question: do you want to invest the time?  We designed the Great iPod Exchange to assist people who are too busy (or lack the expertise) to effectively sell their iPods themselves – people who keep saying, “I’ll sell it one of these days…?.  We provide a hassle-free way for these folks to upgrade to the latest technology now, before their old iPod depreciates any further.  We’re also giving them an opportunity to help support small nonprofits that provide music education.  When determining whether our service is appropriate for you, we invite you to ask yourself: “What is my time worth??  Scott Richardson, Director of Community Partnerships;  Feel free to write me with comments and questions at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

Posted by Scott Richardson on February 10, 2006 at 5:37 AM (PDT)

This is like selling CD’s or LP’s, you get less than what its worth because it will be resold. Given the ease of using software services like Ebay, its becoming easier for individuals to enjoy the full benefits of the online marketplace. This type of thing would have worked 5 years ago, but I for one am not sure how I feel about the iGravyTrain as a licence to print money.

Its a nice idea, but given the margins involved, it really is worth your time to put the work in yourself. Not only that, but with sites like Ebay, once you sell one item, its very easy to continue to use it. Treat your first time like a training session.

Hmm the charity angle doesn’t work for me. People can independently support charities through other means and something that directly effects them.

Posted by The Dude on February 10, 2006 at 6:56 AM (PDT)

Thats just B.S. My very-good condition 30GB 5th Generation was quoted $169. I could easily get around $260 for it.

Josh

Posted by Josh on February 10, 2006 at 12:21 PM (PDT)

They are quotinh higher than the other websites that you can sell your ipods on. and with this you do not have to pay ebay/paypal fees.

Posted by Whitney on February 19, 2006 at 6:56 PM (PDT)

I sold my iPod through Nextworth and got $100 for it, and I’m very happy. I don’t have the time nor the expertise to do ebay - I tried ebay before and it’s a long hassle - they want too much of my personal information.

Posted by Jordan Malik on March 22, 2006 at 12:14 PM (PDT)

Jordan works for Next Gen!

Posted by Peter on August 16, 2006 at 11:09 AM (PDT)

Of course reselling a device to a company will net you less than selling it to an individual.  Try trading in CDs, DVDs, or video games to Blockbuster or EBGames versus ebay/amazon marketplace.  Try trading your car in to a dealer versus an individual.  Go to a pawn shop and sell some stuff.
It’s one thing to say “Nah, I’ll invest the time on an ebay auction and make a little more money”, it’s an entirely different, stupid thing to somehow berate a company like this for trying to make money [which of course is the point of a business].

If the company gives you the money they quoted for an ipod you send them that you were honest about, they’re not crooks, regardless if that amount is $395 or $3.95.  It’s up to each person to decide if he’ll let his device go for the amount offered, and some people undoubtedly will.

Some people don’t want to deal with ebay or the scammers on ebay especially for higher-priced items.  Some people will take a little less money in order to be done with it.  I don’t plan on selling my ipod [I was quoted 260 for it], but I hope NextWorth does succeed, I’m all for different venues of buying/selling.

Posted by Tony Carson on August 16, 2006 at 1:36 PM (PDT)

I went to Tweeter and sold them two of my old iPods and they gave we almost $300 gift card. I used toward a flat screen monitor. I think they gave me more than Nextworth would even through Nextworth is powering Tweeter…go figure that…happy and flat now

Posted by D Dellacona on August 17, 2006 at 1:55 PM (PDT)

Posted by D Dellacona on August 17, 2006 at 1:55 PM (PDT)

Hey folks, don’t start screaming at me - sorry if I am naive. I have a 4th gen 2g iPod with almost 3500 songs on it. I would like to upgrade to a new one that holds 7500 - 10,000 songs, for e.g. My question (don’t laugh) is: what happens to the music on my iPod?? How do I get it on my new iPod?? I have downloaded most of my own CDs but have purchased a fair # of songs from iTunes. I would probably go to my local Tweeter. Thoughts/answers?? Thanks!

Posted by Ray on August 19, 2006 at 1:19 PM (PDT)

...obviously I meant 20g not 2g—sorry :(

Posted by Ray on August 19, 2006 at 1:22 PM (PDT)

They are scammers!
Gave them a perfect phone.
They said it has ‘light marks” on the back.
I disagreed, it was perfect went I sent it.
Has always been in a protective cover.
Knocked me down $20 and then refused to return it.
You can’t win, you can’t get out of the game.
DO NOT sell to them unless you are willing to take what ever they give you.
And can take their sweet time doing it.
Disgruntled Bob

Posted by Bob Muellet on June 30, 2009 at 9:33 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >