Denmark to follow France’s lead with DRM law?
Following France’s push for DRM interoperability, a report has surfaced that Denmark may be next in line to force Apple to open its FairPlay copy-protection technology used on the iTunes Music Store and iPod. Maersk and TDC, two large Denmark-based companies that run online music ventures, are reportedly speaking out in favor of such a law.
Henrik Olesen, product manager at Maersk’s Dansk Supermarked, told Danish-language Politiken.dk that interoperability is needed. “We would like to ask the politicians to follow the route they’re taking in France, so that it becomes as easy as possible for the consumers to purchase music legally. This will in the end mean larger gross sales for all music stores,” he said.
Gert Rieder, CEO of TDC, said that “We can only press for something like the French, because it gives the consumers as many opportunities to shop for music.” Brian Mikkelsen, the Danish Minister of Culture, said that the DRM legislation would be introduced in 2007.
- Apple releases iTunes 11.0.3 with new Mini Player
- Microsoft: Don’t expect iTunes app on Windows 8
- Apple launches ‘A Decade of iTunes’
- Apple adds ‘download later’ option to iTunes
- Court rules iTunes songs can’t be resold
- Apple adds freemium app warning in App Store
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, giveaway update
- Apple drops refurbished fourth-gen iPad, mini prices
- Judge: US can show Apple e-book pricing conspiracy
- AT&T’s GoPhone to add LTE/HSPA+ support for iPhone
- Report: iOS 7 ‘black, white, and flat all over’
- Apple WWDC Keynote set for June 10
- Apps: Foursquare 6.2, Hyper Breaker Turbo, Pandora 4.3 + Shazam 6.0
- Apple patent application details interactive AirPlay, TV
- Report: iWatch pushed to late 2014?
- Griffin releases iPhone 5 Survivor + Catalyst Waterproof Case
- Lynktec TruGlide Pro Precision Stylus
- C4 Electronics Dolry HiFi Stone 30-Pin AirPlay Adapter
- Boombotix Boombot Rex Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Nuu Splash Portable Waterproof Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Scosche boomBottle Weatherproof Sport Wireless Speaker
- HMDX Jam Plus Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Fitbit Flex Wireless Activity & Sleep Wristband
- Cambridge Audio Minx Air 100 + 200 Bluetooth + AirPlay Wireless Speakers
- Mophie Juice Pack Plus for iPhone 5
- Ultimate Ears UE Boom
- Costs associated with using FaceTime
- iMessages showing as Delivered when iPhone is out of coverage
- Inability to use Find My Friends without a passcode
- Calendar info disappears after iCloud restore
- Remove old iCloud backup after restoring to a new iPhone
- Setting up a ringtone in iTunes
- Using a Wi-Fi hard drive with an iPad
- Backing up and restoring an iPod classic
- Can’t restore iPod touch without passcode
- Retaining older versions of Apps during an iOS Restore