99-cent iTunes TV rentals hinging on News Corp.?
Apple’s ability to launch a new 99-cent-per-episode TV rental service may hinge on the decision of Rupert Murdoch, founder, chairman, and CEO of Fox parent News Corp. The Los Angeles Times reports that CBS, NBC Universal, and Time Warner have rejected Apple’s proposal on the grounds that such a low cost for individual episodes could eat into traditional revenue streams, while Disney, in which Apple CEO Steve Jobs is the largest individual shareholder, has reportedly agreed to try the new pricing plan. The report states that the new offering would function as a “six-month pricing trial,” and that Murdoch is prepared to participate in hopes of bettering the company’s relationship with Jobs and potentially gaining benefits for other divisions within the company. Murdoch has in the past said that the iPad may be able to help rescue print media by luring in new customers who wouldn’t otherwise subscribe to a newspaper; the device also plays heavily into his plans to launch a digital national news product later this year, according to the report.
- iTunes Festival channel returns to Apple TV
- Apple releases new iTunes 12 beta
- Apple honors Robin Williams with webpage, iTunes section
- Apple releases iTunes 11.3.1
- iTunes 12 makes its first appearance with iOS-style design
- Eighth annual iTunes Festival announced
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- Apple and U2 to work together on music innovation
- Video Review: Logitech Bluetooth Multi-Device Keyboard K480
- Apple delaying SMS Continuity until October?
- Report: Apple to bring Apple Pay to China
- Report: Future Apple Watches to include more health features, sensors
- iPhone 6 pre-orders plagued by issues
- Apple upgrades current iCloud users to new storage prices
- Report: Apple to use digital queue system at stores for iPhone 6 launch
- iPhone 6 release delayed in China, pre-orders start 12:01AM PT (Update: Pre-order pickup option)
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Series 2 headphones
- Logitech Bluetooth Multi-Device Keyboard K480
- Cambridge Audio Bluetone 100 Bluetooth Speaker
- Cambridge Audio Go V2 Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Soundfreaq Double Spot SFQ-09 Wireless Speaker
- iHome iBN6 Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker
- Grace Digital Ecostone Bluetooth Speaker
- Awesome Cables 6ft Braided Awesome Cable
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad Air
- Juno Labs Juno Power HUE Pro
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010