A $50 Microsoft iPod Killer? Feh!! | iLounge News

A $50 Microsoft iPod Killer? Feh!!

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Friday, May 28, 2004
News Categories: iPod

Microsoft is apparently preparing to battle the iPod. Not satisfied with decimating the Macintosh with undercut pricing (and, admittedly, a more sound distribution model) Microsoft wants the iPod to have a more Apple-like 5 percent market-share.

But will it work? Yes, and no…

« iPod 15GB $274, 20GB $369 and iPod mini for $235

David Crosby says iTunes is “brilliant” »

Comments

How marvellous. People are judging a music player by who makes it.

As $50 I’d buy two. I don’t care how good or bad it is.

Posted by Adam on May 28, 2004 at 3:26 PM (PDT)

Well, I would agree anyone claiming that Microsoft software sux. Even though I use them every day almost exclusively. However the same is not true for hardware devices. They did some amazing and gutsy design moves, which in a good percentage worked out for the better. See natural keyboard, mouse wheel, extra mouse buttons, optical mouse, etc. They are not the inventors for sure, but MS HW knew what patents / ideas to but and they turned them into mainstream. Can you use a mouse without scrollwheel?

Some of their wireless routers got a good review as well, just never took off.

I guess what I am trying to say is that Apple has something else to fear besides the 60 billion cash pile…

Posted by pbox on May 28, 2004 at 4:26 PM (PDT)

Apple is NOT a ‘stunning combination of design, technology, and usability’ for everyone.
—-
I have to disagree, there isn’t much innovation in the PC world when it comes to design.  Have you looked at a G5? the towers are amazing.  Also what about the iMac past and present.  The industrial design at Apple makes PCs look plain.

Posted by Mike on May 28, 2004 at 4:45 PM (PDT)

take a look at IBM’s machines if you want the best in the PC world… thinkpads are the only things that come close to apple’s powerbooks

Posted by Saniko on May 28, 2004 at 4:49 PM (PDT)

I think we are all missing the fact that iTunes is far and away the best platform for managing music.  Does anyone honestly think Microsoft can truly develop a music management system that can be different and at lest equal to the Apple product.  I think not.

That is the only way anyone could possibly succede against the iPod; regardless of price.  I wont pay $50 for crap.

Posted by jwc110869 in Rochester, NY on May 28, 2004 at 5:02 PM (PDT)

Chicago,
My points are not contradictory. The “Start” button holds users’ hands, but it adds unnecessary steps. Haven’t you stood behind someone who wasn’t very computer savy? Uncertainty is eased by the Start button. As far as the dialogue boxes go, Windows adds clutter without adding additional information.

Posted by Questioner on May 28, 2004 at 5:05 PM (PDT)

How marvellous. People are judging a music player by who makes it.

———

ughh .. yeah . .. because whos makin’ it, never “made” a product. .  . .

As $50 I’d buy two. I don’t care how good or bad it is.
——-
hey adam, i have two I just made yesterday, wanna buy em’

Posted by Peter mcsquareliz on May 28, 2004 at 5:24 PM (PDT)

Why is this article lumping ALL PC users as Windows users? That kind of assumption is biased, closed minded, and just pure idiocy. I own 7 PCs right here in my house and not a one of them is using Windows. Have they ever considered that an Operating System called Linux exists? Yes, Linux its the only OS that runs on my network, and guess what? Theyre all PCs. Have these people ever stopped to think that the PC is a platform in which you can fully customize and build yourself? Gee, maybe thats why I choose to use PCs and not Apple computers. I dont seem to recall having the option of fully building from scratch an Apple system. And no, PC users dont lack taste many like to have full control over what they use. Something Apple likes to not include.

Posted by Jack Handy on May 28, 2004 at 5:29 PM (PDT)

if you think ppl with pcs have no taste…look at those alienware computers, best gaming computers ever!!!

Posted by eric spano on May 28, 2004 at 5:47 PM (PDT)

I was waiting for somone to mention Alienware, I have to admit the cases are nicely painted and molded.  Hoewever, they are an anomaly most PCs are plain old cases.

Posted by Mike on May 28, 2004 at 6:06 PM (PDT)

Jack Handy,
It was the PC-proponent who used “taste” to describe OS choice. I argue that it has nothing to do with taste—OSX is objectively superior.

Apple makes good hardware, but so do a lot of companies. It’s the lack of choice that is an issue. For example, I feel that Apple does not pursue certain products because they are afraid of cannibalizing more expensive products. This is bad for the consumer. PC Manufacturers never make such choices, because they are happy just to make a profit. The market is large enough that cannibalization isn’t an issue.

If Apple wants to keep their model, then their main hope is in Linux for software development. (My CUPS driver works great). I just think that when you spend a lot of time on computers, the user interface is a big deal; the (virutal) desktop IS the environment. Apple understands this, and even helps to clean your desk—How great is Expose?

Posted by Questioner on May 28, 2004 at 6:27 PM (PDT)

You can buy a cool looking case for like $80 and build your own computer using off the shelf parts, which is something you can’t do with Apple.
“The central feature of the OS is the Start button”? What? Start button? I rarely touch the thing. I LIKE XP because I can do basically whatever I want with it… if you love Apple so much, you can get ObjectDock or something. I also happen to enjoy screwing around with stuff to get it to work.
I don’t like microsoft, I’d like to see some real competition in the OS market, but you know what? I like Windows XP a hell of a lot better than any Mac OS.

Posted by Mark Prokop on May 28, 2004 at 6:37 PM (PDT)

I have to disagree, there isn’t much innovation in the PC world when it comes to design. Have you looked at a G5? the towers are amazing. Also what about the iMac past and present. The industrial design at Apple makes PCs look plain.
————-

You are SO missing the point. He didn’t said “apple has no good design” but “not everyone likes their design”.

You because YOU like it doesn’t means automatically that everyone else does. I, PERSONALLY, am pretty neutral towards their tower design and cannot stand the iMac - looks like a desctop lamp.

Posted by Shrike on May 28, 2004 at 6:59 PM (PDT)

GO APPLE! I’LL BUY ONE OF YOUR PC’S WHEN MY WALLET ALLOWS IT! In the mean time, I’ll just jam with my iPod on my PC.

Posted by Sam on May 28, 2004 at 7:21 PM (PDT)

What will happen in the world if Apple make a os for pcs, with less features than panther and tiger, but better than xp? i am pretty shure that can be a sucess, something like…if you dont have the money to by a mac, get a PcOsX instead of xp…if there are one company than can make a competence in software for M$, that will be Apple…

Posted by Miguel on May 28, 2004 at 7:52 PM (PDT)

Um Shrike I am not SOO missing the point buddy.  Maybe you should look up industrial design in the dictionary.  Whether you appreciate it or not Apple is innovative in the way of industrial design.  Is it for “everyone”? probably not but that doesn’t mean it isn’t above average.

Posted by Mike on May 28, 2004 at 8:12 PM (PDT)

Cool!

Another piece of hardware for me to hack!

Keep it coming Microsoft!

Posted by XBOX Hacker on May 28, 2004 at 8:51 PM (PDT)

If I were Apple, I’d personally be a lot more worried about Sony’s new MP3 players, these ones actually play MP3 instead of ATRAC after Sony realised how badly they were shooting themselves in the foot with that format.  Sony are huge in the music business, have a strong reputation for quality electronics and have managed to make a stylish looking unit that could really hurt the iPod

Posted by fenn on May 29, 2004 at 12:49 AM (PDT)

Why does a computer need to look stylish anyway? A computer is a tool and nothing more.

Admitidly OSX *IS* a better operating system, but macs will never be as successful until people can buy the components off the shelf and build their own Mac the way they want it.

I wish they’d release OSX for PC’s :o)

Posted by ipodx on May 29, 2004 at 12:57 AM (PDT)

ipodx, for some people, a computer is more than a tool, and as such it has to look decent. A car is also a tool, but people spend hundereds of thousands of dollars making their cars look nicer.

Posted by Harrison in Melbourne, Australia on May 29, 2004 at 2:06 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3 >