ABC News: Music Labels Threaten to Sue Net Users | iLounge News

ABC News: Music Labels Threaten to Sue Net Users

The Recording Industry Association of America, citing substantial sales declines, said it will begin Thursday to search Internet file-sharing networks to identify users who offer “substantial” collections of MP3 music files for downloading. It expects to file at least several hundred lawsuits seeking financial damages within eight to 10 weeks.

“The RIAA’s president, Carey Sherman, said tens of millions of Internet users of popular file-sharing software after Thursday will expose themselves to “the real risk of having to face the music.”

“It’s stealing. It’s both wrong and illegal,” Sherman said. Alluding to the court decisions, Sherman said Internet users who believe they can hide behind an alias online were mistaken. “You are not anonymous,” Sherman said. “We’re going to begin taking names.”“

« iPod 15GB for $314 shipped

Case Giveaway 15.0 PLUS: iPod Skin, PodPerch and E2c Earphones »

Comments

That’s because Grohl was in one of the most influential bands of all time. Definitely the top of the 90s. I mean recently he had the never released single “You Know You’re Right” from his Nirvana days, then his 3 new Foo Fighters songs hit it big, (he had 10 top hits off his FF album last year, he’s played with Velvet Revolver, AND he had a hit with Queens of the Stone Age. Granted he doesn’t need the money because Nirvana would have him sitting pretty, but he continues to be an artist who produces good music and is growing with age, and growing better. I actually had a little inside info that two main reasons Jason Newstead left Metallica was 1) the whole Napster conflict, and 2) he never felt or was treated like part of the band. Lars kind of used the “band’s name” to go on his crusade when actually James Hetfield and Kirk really didn’t give a hoot about music piracy. I mean bootleg tapes are how Metallica got STARTED, but Lars doesn’t seem to care lol. Music piracy is something that has been done for YEARS. I don’t think it’s necessarily right because you should get profits being the artist especially if it’s good work. However the music industry brought this upon itself with those outrageous prices. Do you know any other retail industry that charges a 300% markup on their merchandise? 300%... That’s plain ridiculous.

Posted by Pete on July 3, 2003 at 6:29 AM (CDT)

Imagine if cars had that kind of markup. Yeah, I’ll sell my ‘98 V6 Mustang for a used ‘02 Ferrari 360 Spyder or Modena…..lol…

Posted by zync on July 3, 2003 at 10:53 PM (CDT)

Obviously that wouldn’t work but it’s only an example :)

Posted by zync on July 3, 2003 at 10:54 PM (CDT)

Yean but you obviously get my point. That’s like picking your nose as selling it as the rarest material on earth. 300% just kinda blows my mind. I just bought the 30GB Ipod a week ago and despite having to exchange it once (stupid corrupted folder error :( ) I love it. MP3’s are great, and they’re my way of saying I won’t be a victim of artists who have only A good song and fill their CDs with worthless filler. Now the artists I respect, they will get my $.

Posted by Pete on July 7, 2003 at 8:15 AM (CDT)

I totally agree Pete!

Posted by zync on July 7, 2003 at 8:58 PM (CDT)

Can someone tell the price of a Ipod in Malaysia currently

Posted by Ipod Fan on July 2, 2004 at 2:54 PM (CDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2