ABT iJet, Keyspan TuneView LCD remotes ship | iLounge News

ABT iJet, Keyspan TuneView LCD remotes ship

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, December 4, 2006
News Categories: iPod Accessories

imageTwo new iPod-specific LCD remotes—the iJet Two-Way from ABT and the TuneView from Keyspan—have recently begun shipping to stores. Both remotes allow users to remotely navigate and control music from an iPod directly on the remote using RF transmission technology.

The ABT iJet Two-Way ($130; iLounge Rating: C+) consists of a walkie talkie-shaped remote with two-line LCD display and bottom-mounting iPod receiver with pass-through dock connector and headphone ports.image

Keyspan’s TuneView Remote ($179; shown left) features a color LCD screen and a universal, charging iPod dock for connecting an iPod to a stereo, powered speakers or TV. The TuneView Dock can also be used to sync an iPod with iTunes running on a PC or Mac.

« Digg founder claims 4GB/8GB iPhone coming in January

Fastmac expands iPod LCD repair service »

Comments

The iJet 2-way has been out for a while. I saw it in Target months ago… It’s been on Target’s website for a weeks, too…

Posted by bluazul on December 4, 2006 at 10:03 AM (PDT)

Will there ever be a day when some very smart company releases an LCD-equipped device that will allow me to actually control *iTunes* and *AirTunes* directly, ergo neither employing some proprietary receiver with shoddy analog outputs nor 802.11b but .11g. Yes, I am aware of the Sonos, yes, it is too expensive.

Posted by Bad Beaver on December 4, 2006 at 10:34 AM (PDT)

BadBeaver - what about salling clicker? Will work through your bluetooth phone, or pocket pc’s and palms - I have a Palm TX in a proporta crystal case controlling iTunes playing through my airport and it works brilliantly (and much cheaper than the sonos!)

Posted by davebach172 on December 5, 2006 at 2:02 AM (PDT)

davebach172, I know about salling clicker, it is an excellent app, and I would love to use it with a TX. The problem is that the TX only sports .11b. This might not be an issue in all 11b networks, but in my situation, 11b is insufficient due to bandwidth issues. If you have more than one Mac/PC in the network and more than 1mbit of bandwidth, as I do, you will likely encounter a lot of music dropouts.

If there is a 11g capable solution around the price of the Palm TX / around €250 I would LOVE to hear about it. Heck, it might even be some lowly PocketPC since I would not use it for anything else.

Posted by Bad Beaver on December 5, 2006 at 9:07 AM (PDT)

Beav, this apparently “not very smart” company is already making the precise device for which you long (though I’m sure you will find a way to whine about this product as well)

(yes, this link will dl you a spec sheet)

IMNSHO, this product might just kick arse. It will essentially make this remote a Sonos lite.

Posted by Less Bitchy Beaver on December 5, 2006 at 11:00 PM (PDT)

Oh believe me, I can ##### and whine pretty much on demand wink
Do you have any idea about how preliminary the factsheet you linked is? Will it come out before XMAS or rather in the January timeframe?

Posted by Bad Beaver on December 6, 2006 at 5:02 AM (PDT)

Beav, that was pretty funny, but you bring up a good point. Not to be a hypocrite, byt the Tuneview release date was like 6 months after they said it would debut (and they implied the USB adapter would debut along with the remote on their site). Now when they say a Q1 ‘07 release, I am verrrrry sceptical.

Posted by Less Bitchy Beaver on December 6, 2006 at 8:51 AM (PDT)

I guess we’ll see. It looks quite promising. I hope it includes a function for the Airtunes controls, so that one may tell iTunes where to stream to.

Posted by Bad Beaver on December 6, 2006 at 11:38 AM (PDT)