Additional info about Alpine iPod Interface | iLounge News

Additional info about Alpine iPod Interface

Alpine has launched a Flash site titled “Take your iPod for a drive” with additional details about how the iPod interface works, an interactive demo, and a dealer locator.

« Listening to iPod through antique radios

STM releases 4G/HP skins for iPod Cocoon »

Comments

Mike, I have never tried it. I plugged my iPod into the aux input straight away and play all my MP3s that way. I’m looking at this interface as a better way to control the iPod while driving.

Posted by Graham on September 17, 2004 at 10:21 AM (CDT)

Mike, I have Alpine’s 9835 deck and love it. The two line display is vastly more readable than that used in the demo (what was Alpine thinking?!).  To directly answer your question, mp3 tags do carry over.  If the text is longer than the 24(?) characters that the 9835 can display at one time, it’s scrolling capabilities allow for the rest of the info.

I’ve been waiting for this interface to come out for months now.  While not identical to the iPod’s controls, it will be much easier to use while driving than the iPod.

Posted by Mark on September 18, 2004 at 11:21 AM (CDT)

Well, I got the 9827 in, and just now looked at the 9835.  Wow.  I’m really jealous now, but no way I could have gotten $550 past the CFO.  I am pretty jazzed that it’s in, even with the limited display.  I noticed that you can manually enter CD track information for all your CDs you might play.  Can you imagine?  Me either.  Thank god for the iPod.

Posted by Mike on September 18, 2004 at 8:58 PM (CDT)

Posted by Mike on September 18, 2004 at 8:59 PM (CDT)

I needed a new car stereo and was shopping around for one. When Alpine announced this interface, it just made the decision very easy. I have the KCA-121B which adds line-in to the stereo. Using the iPod while driving is a good way to get into an accident.
I preordered the KCA-420i from Crutchfield as soon as possible. If you have a compatible Alpine radio already or need to replace your current radio, this makes a lot of sense and is the best solution currently available.

I bought the iTrip first and returned it the very next day. It worked soo poorly, and I have read so many positive reviews, that it must have been defective.
Bob

Posted by BobR on September 19, 2004 at 8:32 AM (CDT)

Anyone know if KCA-420i willl work with the Alpine CDA-7897. I know its not a 2004 Headunit, but it does have AI Net in it.

Posted by Tempo on September 20, 2004 at 9:54 PM (CDT)

Alpine just launched a promotion to get $30-50 off on your KCA-420i when you purchase it with a select Alpine Head Unit.

You get $30 off if you buy:
CDA-9826
CDA-9827
CDA-9830

You get $50 off if you buy
CDA-9831
CDA-9833

Here is the fine print:
This offer is valid only at participating authorized Alpine dealers in the United States. Both eligible head unit and KCA-420i must be purchased together at the same dealer to qualify for the special holiday season offer. Eligible head units: CDA-9826, CDA-9827, CDA-9830, CDA-9831, CDA-9833. Offer ends December 24, 2004 and while supplies last.

Posted by Eric Kratzer on September 24, 2004 at 10:59 AM (CDT)

You get $30 off if you buy:
CDA-9826
CDA-9827
CDA-9830

You get $50 off if you buy
CDA-9831
CDA-9833

Here is the fine print:

Posted by Eric Kratzer on September 24, 2004 at 11:01 AM (CDT)

I have pretty much the same question someone asked a few weeks back: with the Alpine iPod adapter and 9835 head unit, can you shuffle through all the songs on your iPod? It sounds like you can shuffle the songs in any folder, but it also sounds like you can’t directly access the “all songs” folder? If not, that would be a bummer.

On the Alpine site, the demo and the page describing the adapter make it look like you can’t access the songs folder.

Does anybody out there know for sure?

Posted by malcolm young on September 27, 2004 at 3:06 PM (CDT)

Installed this the interface in my car a couple days ago.  I have an IVA-900 works very well.  Let me know if any of you have questions about it.

Posted by Lex on October 1, 2004 at 9:44 AM (CDT)

Installed the interface in my car a couple days ago.  I have an IVA-D900 works very well.  Let me know if any of you have questions about it.

Posted by Lex on October 1, 2004 at 9:44 AM (CDT)

I went and bought the Alpine adapter and CDA-9835 head unit. I’m sorry to say that I am NOT HAPPY with it.

There are some good things about it:
* Good sound
* Head unit looks cool
* iPod is turned on and off along with the stereo.
* Display is easy to read
* Playlist support is pretty good

But there are some MAJOR problems. As described in the manual (but not in their marketing material) the adapter only supports 255 files and 511 folders at a time. This causes some problems:

* If I want to do a random shuffle of all 6500+ songs in the iPod, I do as the manual describes, and select a special playlist called “NO SUPPORT” (isn’t that a great name?!?). The iPod adapter randomly picks a small number of songs (255, I assume), and shuffles through just them. In a 1-hour drive, I heard 7 songs from the same 4 albums. The workaround: turn on the stereo, then reach into the glovebox and unplug the iPod, then set up the shuffle, then replug the iPod. You have to do it this way, or the Alpine will take over and use its own lame shuffle.

* If I select the by-artist search, I can choose any artist—as long as the artist name starts with the letters A through S. Forget about T through Z, because of the 511 folder limit.

* If I want to select by album… well I don’t know, because I was only able to get the album folder to show up once. I haven’t been able to recreate it (and I’m a computer programmer!). One time I got a list of all albums (or the first 511, I’d guess). Another time, I got a totally random list of songs. But most of the times, I get a list of songs, sorted by album.

Posted by malcolm young on October 4, 2004 at 3:46 PM (CDT)

PART 2:

There are some other, smaller problems, that I could live with:

* The unit sometimes it freaks out my iPod. Mostly small things like the contrast, but I’ve also had to reset the iPod once (so far).

* You use the volume knob to scroll through songs. The scrolling doesn’t get faster like on the iPod, so expect to take some time to get through a long list of songs or albums.

* The lights on the head unit dim when the car’s headlights are on. With my car, if the dash lights are dimmed, the head unit flashes between dimmed and not-dimmed, kind of like a strobe light. I have to make sure the dash dimmer knob is not too far in one direction.

I was a lot happier with what I had in my old car: a $200 Pioneer with an aux cable coming out from a hole under the ashtray.

Posted by malcolm young on October 4, 2004 at 3:47 PM (CDT)

PART 3:

Sorry to go on so long, but I feel like it would be helpful to share my experience.

One other thing I found is that the folder navigation just seems flakey somehow—I end up in places I didn’t expect to be, and have trouble getting back (in the folders, not on the road :^). This might be a real problem related to the number of files/folders. Or, more likely it’s just user error on my part (i.e., I just need to get used to the interface). So I guess I shouldn’t really comment on that yet.

Bottom line:

* If all you’re interested in is using playlists, you’ll probably like it.

* If you have less than 511 artists and/or albums and less than 255 songs in any folder, it *might* be OK for you. Or it might not, since the volume knob/scroll wheel doesn’t speed up for long lists when you turn it faster.

* Otherwise, forget it. IMO.

Posted by malcolm young on October 4, 2004 at 5:00 PM (CDT)

I just returned my nerw Alpine sytem, which included the worthless POS iPod interface. What a freaking waste of my time!!!

Originally Alpine said you needed to install the firmware from on or after 4/28/04. Then they said you needed to have an iPod made after that dtae!

They now tell me that you must have a click wheel iPod!

There are many other reasons as stated above…

Alpine realeased this beofore it was ready.

From what I have read on the net… their damned head units aren’t ready for the concept either!

Save your money…

Posted by KAH on October 9, 2004 at 7:36 PM (CDT)

Oh dear,

Not only can I not type…

I forgot to mention that it did not work with either of my two 3G iPods!!

I like the radio… but having bought it all as a package deal with a discount… Alpine did not deserve the sale.

Kudos to the folks at Crutchfield though….
Their kit and customer service is great stuff.

Posted by KAH on October 9, 2004 at 7:44 PM (CDT)

I know this was asked earlier however it was answered.  does it work with the ALPINE CDA-7897.

Posted by doink on October 30, 2004 at 4:20 PM (CDT)

Hey Skitals get with me on that upgrade I will buy you 9827! Just what I am looking for!

Posted by eraid0 in Akron on March 29, 2005 at 12:19 PM (CST)

Umm, I don’t know what the crack is with these iPod interfaces. Im glad I found these reviews. Count yourself lucky that they give at least the technical limitations in their manuals. I bought an EA1276 by Clarion, their own iPod adapter for my high end DXZ778RUSB.

When it said I can use my head unit in iPod mode to directly control all functions of the iPod, I was excited.

Then I find the folders have an unwritten limitation of 255 and Clarion refuse to acknowledge this as a problem. So Im stuck with A through J for my artist browsing… And besides, that’s only the maximum limit because scrolling through is such an incredibly slow task it would be dangerous to have any more than about 20 artists in your lists.

Why didn’t they think of doing preliminary A-Z folders?

Why not more memory?

Substandard products from Clarion. I was considering buying Alpine in protest, but I see that they’re no better.

Cya
Simon

Posted by Simon on March 30, 2008 at 8:28 AM (CDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2