Adesso’s iLamp lineup features iPod cradles, speakers | iLounge News

Adesso’s iLamp lineup features iPod cradles, speakers

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, October 23, 2006
News Categories: iPod Accessories

image

Adesso has introduced a new line of desk lamps that feature integrated speakers and iPod cradles. The company’s iLamp line includes the Tempo Architect iLamp (white base with satin steel and chrome accents), the Boogie Architect iLamp (painted champagne steel finish with LED bulbs), the Rock On! Architect iLamp (black painted base with perforated black metal shade), the Tunes iLamp (white plastic bubble shaped base from which two round speakers extend and retract), the Harmony iLamp (flat saucer-like vented shade with a thin blue translucent strip and plastic base), and the Boom Box iLamp (LED lamp with portable, boom box-shaped base). Each iLamp connects to an iPod or other MP3 player via the headphone jack, features an adjustable neck, and retails for $89.

« Monster ships four new iPod accessories

iPod, iLounge turning five »

Comments

total idiocity.
but people will buy just about anything.

Posted by rob on October 23, 2006 at 9:59 AM (PDT)

I am a lighting fanatic (might as well throw in timepieces too), and this one caught my eye immediately. Not so much for the iPod feature but for the light itself. I wish I’d had something like this during my tenure earning my architectural degrees. Anyone using their desk for actual workspace should be able to immediately sees the benefits of this product.  I’d guess you’d say I like this—I do.

Posted by FahrenheiPod 451 on October 23, 2006 at 10:06 AM (PDT)

This could be useful for those of us that work in a cubicle, but it’s stupid in that it doesn’t have a dock connector, you have to plug it into the headphone jack.

Posted by RC on October 23, 2006 at 10:07 AM (PDT)

RC,

I think they took the smart route by using only the headphone jack as iPod dock iterations are getting to be so multiple that the additional adapters are an insane waste of product and resources (I have a drawer full of plastic insets I’ll never use, and now don’t even remember which device they fit). Apple is at fault for this, and Apple can easily obsolete existing dock methods, and never give it a second thought. The headphone plug jack is a universal standard.

Posted by FahrenheiPod 451 on October 23, 2006 at 10:28 AM (PDT)

rob, it’s iDiocity, not idiocity.

In fact I am waiting for iF*ck

Posted by saminegm on October 23, 2006 at 11:08 AM (PDT)

rob, please, no mean to be rude but quit your bitchin’ some people might actually find this product useful.

i saw one at my target, and if it had an alarm clock/clock with it, i’d love to have one.

Posted by Jesse on October 23, 2006 at 12:32 PM (PDT)

Great idea, but not work the price.

Posted by spaceboy27 on October 23, 2006 at 5:14 PM (PDT)

I Love Lamp
...
yeah, this would’ve been sweet when I was at architecture school.

Tangentally, I’ve noticed that the headphone jack as lineout has become annoying since Apple has added the volume limiting software. I have my max. headphones volume set at about 66%, but that’s not loud enough for decent lineout volume. And going in and turning it off is a pain.

Posted by Lawrence Mikkelsen in New Zealand on October 23, 2006 at 6:46 PM (PDT)

Target has these in Silver & White for $25 right now

Posted by solace on October 24, 2006 at 12:05 AM (PDT)

This item looks fantastic, but there is one problem: It does not have a dock connector (which removes the option of charging your ipod at the same time, as well as making it sound worse because of the direct headphone connection)

I don’t think I will be buying it because of this, not for that price tag anyway. Great idea though!

Posted by Jamie on October 28, 2006 at 12:28 AM (PDT)

I bought this lamp last night at Target. Upside: the sound quality was great…while it lasted.  Downside: since I’ve unplugged my iPOD from the lamp my iPOD does not work.  It won’t play anything and now my screen is on but is a black screen.  My iPOD is only 2 weeks old!  It also bent IN the metal peices on the inside of my headphone jack on my iPOD.  I can’t even get my iTunes to recognize that my iPOD is plugged in to my computer.

Posted by kacey on December 21, 2006 at 10:15 AM (PDT)